Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM

369 posts, read 657,257 times

Advertisements

From my experience most cities that claim to be 24/7 usually are not with exception being Las Vegas. Even New York City had dead streets in a lot of places after the ball dropped on New Years. Miami Beach was so over hyped as everything seemed to shut down after 1-2 am with empty streets and closed stores... mind you this was on Labor Day weekend.

I am not expecting for all of the lights to be on in Atlanta, but what places open 24/7? Not necessarily clubs either. Are there places like cafes or bookstores where one can chill or have a conversation anytime of the day or night or a least till 4 or 5 am?

Is there an area of the city that just stays open 24/7 (a part of Midtown maybe?)

I think its really odd how urban cities are always projected to be places that are always vibrant and never sleep. Maybe they were at one point but something has happened today where cities can be just as dead as the suburbs after 10 or 11pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I think its really odd how urban cities are always projected to be places that are always vibrant and never sleep. Maybe they were at one point but something has happened today where cities can be just as dead as the suburbs after 10 or 11pm.
It costs money to keep a place open 24x7.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM

174 posts, read 411,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
From my experience most cities that claim to be 24/7 usually are not with exception being Las Vegas. Even New York City had dead streets in a lot of places after the ball dropped on New Years. Miami Beach was so over hyped as everything seemed to shut down after 1-2 am with empty streets and closed stores... mind you this was on Labor Day weekend.

I am not expecting for all of the lights to be on in Atlanta, but what places open 24/7? Not necessarily clubs either. Are there places like cafes or bookstores where one can chill or have a conversation anytime of the day or night or a least till 4 or 5 am?

Is there an area of the city that just stays open 24/7 (a part of Midtown maybe?)

Maybe you were in the wrong places in Miami and NYC. What part of Miami Beach you were in? South Beach is usually live all night. Time square is also live 24/7. It will be hard to find bookstores or cafes that open 24/7. The average person do not read books at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It costs money to keep a place open 24x7.
Thanks for answering the question. So should I take that as a no?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
Maybe you were in the wrong places in Miami and NYC. What part of Miami Beach you were in? South Beach is usually live all night. Time square is also live 24/7. It will be hard to find bookstores or cafes that open 24/7. The average person do not read books at 3 or 4 in the morning.
Na I was all over South Beach and I was at times square where the crowds left so fast you would think a Godzilla was coming. The streets were not alive.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Excellent, excellent post!

Places that come to mind....

The Majestic
Waffle House
CVS on Cheshire Bridge
R. Thomas

I can't think of much else!!!!

Amazingly, you will find more 24 hour businesses in the suburbs than the city.

For example:

Wal-Mart (in the burbs it stays open 24/7, intown closes at midnight)
Lifetime Fitness
A few select Walgreens
A few Korean restaurants here and there
Jeju Spa
McDonalds (drive-thru only)
Kroger, also the ones in the city are 24 hour I think

I totally agree with you. A real 24 hour city should have many more 24 hour businesses. Back before the city killed the nightlife, Backstreet, 112, and Club Anytime were 24 hour nightclubs (there was a fourth, but I never knew what it was).

Las Vegas and New York are the only true 24 hour cities I can think of. I seem to recall places in the French Quarter in New Orleans stayed open really late, but they may have closed at 4 or 5am.

I know Atlanta doesn't have the market to support that, but you'd think there would be some enterprising Starbucks or something out there that would stay open 24 hours. I'm not aware of any decent cafe, book store type of place that is open 24/7 or even keeps late hours. I hope somebody points something out that I'm not aware of.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Excellent, excellent post!

Places that come to mind....

The Majestic
Waffle House
CVS on Cheshire Bridge
R. Thomas

I can't think of much else!!!!

Amazingly, you will find more 24 hour businesses in the suburbs than the city.

For example:

Wal-Mart (in the burbs it stays open 24/7, intown closes at midnight)
Lifetime Fitness
A few select Walgreens
A few Korean restaurants here and there
Jeju Spa
McDonalds (drive-thru only)
Kroger, also the ones in the city are 24 hour I think

I totally agree with you. A real 24 hour city should have many more 24 hour businesses. Back before the city killed the nightlife, Backstreet, 112, and Club Anytime were 24 hour nightclubs (there was a fourth, but I never knew what it was).

Las Vegas and New York are the only true 24 hour cities I can think of. I seem to recall places in the French Quarter in New Orleans stayed open really late, but they may have closed at 4 or 5am.

I know Atlanta doesn't have the market to support that, but you'd think there would be some enterprising Starbucks or something out there that would stay open 24 hours. I'm not aware of any decent cafe, book store type of place that is open 24/7 or even keeps late hours. I hope somebody points something out that I'm not aware of.
Thanks for the info. It seems local governments have really made an effort to kill the nightlife in many cities that they enjoyed during their own youth. Ironically a lot of those place would be a lot safer if the streets were active.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
As said
Waffle House
IHOP
some McDonald's (but might close for holiday hours)

Kroger used to be 24 but no longer?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
As said
Waffle House
IHOP
some McDonald's (but might close for holiday hours)

Kroger used to be 24 but no longer?
Kroger still is in some places.

Also Dunkin Donuts is another one. The one on North Druid Hills has people in there doing schoolwork and reading all night.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
yeah most of these are places that are 24 hours wherever you go. who wants to hang out at CVS at 4 am?

i have the same issue— i'm a night person and there's nowhere to go at night. there is a market but no one seems to be taking the plunge. i eat kosher and there isn't a kosher place in town that stays open past 8 pm, which is usually before my dinnertime. totally lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta