Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 158,618 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old male with a 2 year old son currently residing in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.....I've been looking at attending Georgia Perimeter College and from there moving on to Georgia State University to obtain my bachelors degree in computer information systems/computer science.....I would like to have everything planned out carefully for this move with my main reasons being to experience a new place while also going to school and earning a degree and taking advantage of the Atlanta music scene as I am also an aspiring recording artist and songwriter.

I would like to rent first to get a feel for the area and to really decide if I would eventually like to buy a home there....I've looked around at different jobs and it seems I would likely be taking my call center experience with me to Georgia and finding a call center job or something like a warehouse job that I can work to help me get on my feet.

Budget: $600 to $800 a month(apartment/townhome)
Transportation: I have my own vehicle but would still love to take advantage of MARTA.
Children: 1 2 year old so I would need daycare as well.
Schools: Public
Desired Neighborhood: Not Really just a safe place that I can raise my son.
Job: Likely call center in or right near ATL

I just need to know what are some of the best apartments around ATL in my price range? I was thinking of living in Decatur or Dunwoody near the GPC campus.

I would be looking to move in March-April 2013 maybe sooner depending on how things work out.

Thanks in advance guys all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,288,819 times
Thats odd I was thinking of moving there from Atlanta

Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM

864 posts, read 1,120,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla757 View Post
I'm a 22 year old male with a 2 year old son currently residing in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.....I've been looking at attending Georgia Perimeter College and from there moving on to Georgia State University to obtain my bachelors degree in computer information systems/computer science.....I would like to have everything planned out carefully for this move with my main reasons being to experience a new place while also going to school and earning a degree and taking advantage of the Atlanta music scene as I am also an aspiring recording artist and songwriter.

I would like to rent first to get a feel for the area and to really decide if I would eventually like to buy a home there....I've looked around at different jobs and it seems I would likely be taking my call center experience with me to Georgia and finding a call center job or something like a warehouse job that I can work to help me get on my feet.

Budget: $600 to $800 a month(apartment/townhome)
Transportation: I have my own vehicle but would still love to take advantage of MARTA.
Children: 1 2 year old so I would need daycare as well.
Schools: Public
Desired Neighborhood: Not Really just a safe place that I can raise my son.
Job: Likely call center in or right near ATL

I just need to know what are some of the best apartments around ATL in my price range? I was thinking of living in Decatur or Dunwoody near the GPC campus.

I would be looking to move in March-April 2013 maybe sooner depending on how things work out.

Thanks in advance guys all help is appreciated.
Go to DC. Closer and more jobs, especially in IT.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,343,919 times
I moved down here from Newport News 2.5 years ago.

Why are you moving to go to school? Are you eligible for in-state tuition in Georgia? If you aren't, I wouldn't advise the move (unless you have a job lined up as well).

Not to be a jerk, but the city is overflowing with aspiring rappers, singers, actors, etc. Unless you really have talent and a unique hook, I'd keep that as a hobby and be more realistic about finding a future career. You have a child to take care of.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM

I thought about DC but never really considered it because of the high cost of living....I'm in the Chesapeake area and have attended the local community college here I just want a new experience since I've been in VA my whole life

I see moving to GA a new and different experience to go to school while also getting a good job and doing my musical endeavors on the side since the music scene in Atlanta is so big right now

Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,001,455 times
I lived in the 757 for a few years. Atlanta will be a step up for you. You will realize this once you are here.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,627,801 times
You have to get a job first. You also have to work for a year to establish residency. Once you start school as an out of state student, it is nearly impossible to transition to instate.

Check salaries carefully and make sure you can afford rent, food, gas and childcare plus tuition, fees etc.

You need the job to determine where to live. Atlanta is very spread out and a job far from home will end up costing you $$$ to commute.

Do you currently pay for daycare?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
You have to get a job first. You also have to work for a year to establish residency. Once you start school as an out of state student, it is nearly impossible to transition to instate.

Check salaries carefully and make sure you can afford rent, food, gas and childcare plus tuition, fees etc.

You need the job to determine where to live. Atlanta is very spread out and a job far from home will end up costing you $$$ to commute.

Do you currently pay for daycare?
Not currently but when I was I was paying $145 a week for daycare....gtcorndog brought up a great point about in state tuition I didn't factor that in at all....I plan on visiting ATL sometime in the coming months to get a feel for the area and check out some apartments/townhomes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta