U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,490,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
As I said, most blacks folks don't call themselves a thug unless they have been in contact with the criminal justice systems and my statement still stands as well.

The mayor was talking about thugs aka criminals. Stop being obtuse.
That's generally true in my experience outside of these forums, but there have been folks in these forums using the term "thug culture" to refer to hip hip culture, and I know black folks in my own workplace who use the term to refer to black folks of a certain age and type of dress and behavior.

Please don't tell me you've never heard that sort of reference. I'm not talking about white folks here.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
You say blacks call themselves thugs.
I said the following:

Don't many blacks refer to themselves as "thugs"...?

Quote:
Another poster says that only the ones with criminal records or kids who wana look tough do it.
You're the first I've seen to say the latter bit, and that's the source of most of the references I've seen. Wannabes.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM

34,709 posts, read 32,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
simply saying we are the black mecca will probably drive more people away from atlanta rather than brinng them in.
Right, because the stats show Atlanta hemorrhaging people profusely.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM

I should have said "a few", not "many", since it's a pretty small subset of black folks who even use the term that I've seen.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,533,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's generally true in my experience outside of these forums, but there have been folks in these forums using the term "thug culture" to refer to hip hip culture, and I know black folks in my own workplace who use the term to refer to black folks of a certain age and type of dress and behavior.

Please don't tell me you've never heard that sort of reference. I'm not talking about white folks here.

rcsteiner, I've already stated that online, its mostly used a code word.

The black people you've heard say it are usually talking about how young black males dress like thugs on the street corner etc etc. Pants hanging off etc etc

As I stated, no black person with any kinda sense embraces thug as a word of endearment. Usually, some young idiots, you wanna act tough...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
And FWIW, I am black and also feel that it is pretty silly to label a city a "black mecca" unless only black people move there and that is not the case for Atlanta. It is true this was thought up by the media and not something perpetuated by people living in Atlanta so I don't see what the whining in the OP is about.
Don't be so literal. All "Black mecca" means is that the city stands out amongst other cities as a place where Black culture and institutions are concentrated and thrive. It never meant a place where only Black folks live and people are severely misconstruing the term by interpreting it as such.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,533,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Don't be so literal. All "Black mecca" means is that the city stands out amongst other cities as a place where Black culture and institutions are concentrated and thrive. It never meant a place where only Black folks live and people are severely misconstruing the term by interpreting it as such.
Pretty much. I don't see how folks are even upset over it.

No different then the Cubans in S. Florida .

Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indentured servant View Post
i think when people use that phrase they use it as a positive because they see it as a positive, when on the other hand you seem to view it as a pejorative. Some black folks are not ashamed of themselves and their culture, as much as you would like them to be, apparently. I know many people, black people, who visited atlanta and were impressed with the high visibility success of black people in atlanta, to the degree that it was inspiring and motivational to them. I think when many black people see other black people doing well and achieving, it inspires them to do well and achieve.

I am not a big fan of the atlanta hype, as some may know. However, i am less of a fan of those who try to accommodate racism by suggesting black folks in atlanta should not celebrate the fact that it has been one of the most progressive areas for blacks the last couple of decades. One man’s treasure may be another mans garbage. I guess black folks should not enjoy the treasure of us because others see us as garbage.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM

30,568 posts, read 29,045,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I should have said "a few", not "many", since it's a pretty small subset of black folks who even use the term that I've seen.
Wasn't "thug culture" popularized in the 90s by Tupac, et al.?

I've gotta stick up for RC here, too. I don't think he used the term as code for the N word or anything else. It's been in common usage for a long time. Even Cynthia Tucker talks about it.

Cynthia Tucker: Thug culture celebrates the worst of its behavior | culture, thug, american - Featured Columnists - Appeal-Democrat

And of course that doesn't imply that all blacks are part of thug culture. That's ridiculous!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Now, to get back on topic.Yes Black Atlantans should be proud of this, but to celebrate this as if Atlanta were the only place were this was possible is a bit off.
So why in the deep South did it happen in Atlanta to an extent that's nonexistent in other deep South cities? It wasn't just happenstance and you'd have to know something about the history of the city to know why it happened here and not other places.

Quote:
I rarely hear DC bringing this up and they aren't too far behind Atlanta in this regard.
Because it happened more recently in Atlanta than DC.

Quote:
My question: Why would this be a hooking point for Mainstream America?
Allow me to answer in part by quoting one of my fraternity brothers from a FB post:

I'd also say that NO OTHER immigrant story in this country is as moving and as REMARKABLE as that of Blacks in this country. Despite hundreds of years of chattel slavery, and about a 100 more of Jim Crow laws, and still continued racism and disparity, as a people we have STILL managed to perservere and become LEADERS in all different walks of life in this nation and around the world. I mean how many of us are doing wonderful things and we are 1st generation college grads--I know I am. Both my grandfathers couldn't even read and write on above a 7th grade level!

With all of the adversity that Blacks have had to endure in this country and with the progress that we've made in the past 40-50 years or so, Atlanta serves as a great representation of that progress to the nation. So for there to be a significant measure of progress and prosperity in a city among a group that was historically considered only 3/5 of a human being, I'd say this success story has a great deal to do with mainstream America.

I also find it ironic how those who wish to significantly minimize the importance of the progress Blacks are making on many levels (although with much more work to do) in the name of "all-inclusiveness" are inadvertently helping to preserve the pervasive structural inequalities that currently exist within society. It's one of the biggest hallmarks of accepted internalized systematic oppression, but that's another discussion for another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta