U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 797,476 times

Advertisements

Stay and Peach,
Black mecca is just the term. the ideas behind the term work too. The fact that Atlanta has so many successful blacks inspires me on a personal level, i don't think this is relevant to a broader base though.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

183 posts, read 157,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Stay and Peach,
Black mecca is just the term. the ideas behind the term work too. The fact that Atlanta has so many successful blacks inspires me on a personal level, i don't think this is relevant to a broader base though.

What's your point then?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,986,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
What post have Atlanta posters used the term "black mecca" in the last 5 months.
Dont feed the troll

I dont remember anyone on here using that term

Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM

4,565 posts, read 6,542,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Dont feed the troll

I dont remember anyone on here using that term
Well, I do but he's not allowed here anymore...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 797,476 times
Quote:
What's your point then?
The op is straightforward, i think. If you get a different impression from Atlanta posters then we have nothing to debate, that's fine. If i wasnt on my phone, then i'd go grab a few examples of what i am talking about. But i am certain the black mecca(insert correct term) reasoning is used in threads vs Dallas, Houston and DC. Black Mecca may not be used to title threads, but the reasoning is definitely used to promote Atlanta in a lot of vs threads.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM

183 posts, read 157,834 times
Quote:
The op is straightforward, i think. If you get a different impression from Atlanta posters then we have nothing to debate, that's fine. If i wasnt on my phone, then i'd go grab a few examples of what i am talking about. But i am certain the black mecca(insert correct term) reasoning is used in threads vs Dallas, Houston and DC. Black Mecca may not be used to title threads, but the reasoning is definitely used to promote Atlanta in a lot of vs threads.
Atlantans don't usually say it though. So it is not our onus to fight it.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 AM

3,542 posts, read 4,502,125 times
You already answered your own question and you don't even know it.

The only time the term "black mecca" seems to come up in recent times is because of people who a problem with term "black mecca" who keep bringing it up. Either that or people who recently opened a city-data account and are grasping at straws for some topic to discuss. Which it seems you fit the bill on both counts.

Maybe if folks like you didn't bring up the term "black mecca" or create threads dedicated only to talking about the term "black mecca" it would likely not be used so much, eh?

More food for thought from the Acid-man.

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I' have been frequenting this forum for about 5 months and I've noticed that Atlanta posters love to brag about being the black mecca. Now this may be true, but why is it so important to bring it up every other post? Atlanta has a lot more going for it. I'm black and i would never think of using this "black mecca" argument to boost a city.

Black people make up 13% of the overall population. I'm sure the other 87% percent could care less that Atlanta is a black mecca, what does this offer the other 87%? this isn't very appealing to many people and I think black Atlantans may be a bit blind to this fact because they are so proud of our accomplishments, there is no simply "wow" factor here.

I've lived in Atlanta and will be back down there in a month or two. I think we need to establish character(for example seattle is very white, but they are "known" for open-mindedness and indie music) and boast about that, simply saying we are the black mecca will probably drive more people away from atlanta rather than brinng them in. I'm just being honest, most people aren't very fond of hanging in predominately "black" areas--- we have alot of problems internal to our community that are highly publicized, this steers others away from wanting to be a part of that.

My question: What are Atlanta posters trying to accomplish with this black mecca point?

Maybe it is obvious and i just have John McWhorter-ism.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM

4,907 posts, read 6,788,519 times
I personally do not think Atlanta is the black mecca it once was. There is a huge push of white flight back into the city.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM

13,212 posts, read 19,554,384 times
I have heard it too.Im sorry.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 AM

16,222 posts, read 9,036,087 times
Quote:
What post have Atlanta posters used the term "black mecca" in the last 5 months.
I agree with this. The only time I see it is when people are complaining about the phrase "black mecca."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I personally do not think Atlanta is the black mecca it once was. There is a huge push of white flight back into the city.
I also agree with this. Atlanta is no longer a "black mecca." It is more of an "Asian Mecca" like the other thread with "mecca" in it.

And FWIW, I am black and also feel that it is pretty silly to label a city a "black mecca" unless only black people move there and that is not the case for Atlanta. It is true this was thought up by the media and not something perpetuated by people living in Atlanta so I don't see what the whining in the OP is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta