U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,073 posts, read 12,901,666 times
Reputation: 6135

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I'm going to have steal this link to save my breath on a lot of "debates". I've seen this phenomena creep it more and more lately and it bugs the crap out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You already answered your own question and you don't even know it.

The only time the term "black mecca" seems to come up in recent times is because of people who a problem with term "black mecca" who keep bringing it up. Either that or people who recently opened a city-data account and are grasping at straws for some topic to discuss. Which it seems you fit the bill on both counts.

Maybe if folks like you didn't bring up the term "black mecca" or create threads dedicated only to talking about the term "black mecca" it would likely not be used so much, eh?

More food for thought from the Acid-man.
100% spot on. I'll add a third: "I think it's RIDICULOUS that Atlanta is considered the "Black Mecca"....it's really DC/Dallas/Houston/Chicago/NYC!"

Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
 
15,061 posts, read 24,126,220 times
Reputation: 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm going to have steal this link to save my breath on a lot of "debates". I've seen this phenomena creep it more and more lately and it bugs the crap out of me.



100% spot on. I'll add a third: "I think it's RIDICULOUS that Atlanta is considered the "Black Mecca"....it's really DC/Dallas/Houston/Chicago/NYC!"

Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,025 posts, read 793,964 times
Reputation: 699
Are you all kidding? I really dont care for the term, but to pretend that some Atlanta posters do not use "my city has a big black population, therefore x" is a practice in delusion. Being that i am black and love Atlanta i'd like to move away from that point. It simply doesn't appeal like many think it does, maybe i was reading really old posts, but Atlantans have put forth this argument before. You all can stop treating me like an enemy now.

Waron,
Do you really think that blog article helps anything? Mocking black people who are "different"is something i would expect from a redneck, not well-intentioned black folk? i usually love reading your posts, but this....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,073 posts, read 12,901,666 times
Reputation: 6135
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Waron,
Do you really think that blog article helps anything? Mocking black people who are "different"is something i would expect from a redneck, not well-intentioned black folk? i usually love reading your posts, but this....
Helps? Well I wouldn't classify it that way. It is of interest to me from the standpoint that it describes a particular part of the "black experience" that was foreign to me as child who split his time between the south side of Atlanta and Queens NY and whom attended an HBCU. It's something I didn't encounter in the flesh (although I have heard of it) until I was an adult and seems to be increasing in frequency.

What I'm speaking of are people (not saying you do this) who say "Look at me! I'm not like those other black folks because I'm a hipster/into heavy metal/Republican/suburban yuppie" then interject that little nugget about themselves to downplay and make irrelevant certain "black topics" like the idea of a "black mecca" and are thus used by the media and individuals who despise those sorts of things as back up for their vitriol. Basically the Amy Holmes/Clarence Thomas/Juan Williams of the world. To me that's just a bunch of silliness as "blackness" has nothing to do with being a hipster, Republican, what kind of music you listen to, or anything else.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
 
15,061 posts, read 24,126,220 times
Reputation: 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Helps? Well I wouldn't classify it that way. It is of interest to me from the standpoint that it describes a particular part of the "black experience" that was foreign to me as child who split his time between the south side of Atlanta and Queens NY and whom attended an HBCU. It's something I didn't encounter in the flesh (although I have heard of it) until I was an adult and seems to be increasing in frequency.

What I'm speaking of are people (not saying you do this) who say "Look at me! I'm not like those other black folks because I'm a hipster/into heavy metal/Republican/suburban yuppie" then interject that little nugget about themselves to downplay and make irrelevant certain "black topics" like the idea of a "black mecca" and are thus used by the media and individuals who despise those sorts of things as back up for their vitriol. Basically the Amy Holmes/Clarence Thomas/Juan Williams of the world. To me that's just a bunch of silliness as "blackness" has nothing to do with being a hipster, Republican, what kind of music you listen to, or anything else.

Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,025 posts, read 793,964 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Helps? Well I wouldn't classify it that way. It is of interest to me from the standpoint that it describes a particular part of the "black experience" that was foreign to me as child who split his time between the south side of Atlanta and Queens NY and whom attended an HBCU. It's something I didn't encounter in the flesh (although I have heard of it) until I was an adult and seems to be increasing in frequency.

What I'm speaking of are people (not saying you do this) who say "Look at me! I'm not like those other black folks because I'm a hipster/into heavy metal/Republican/suburban yuppie" then interject that little nugget about themselves to downplay and make irrelevant certain "black topics" like the idea of a "black mecca" and are thus used by the media and individuals who despise those sorts of things as back up for their vitriol. Basically the Amy Holmes/Clarence Thomas/Juan Williams of the world. To me that's just a bunch of silliness as "blackness" has nothing to do with being a hipster, Republican, what kind of music you listen to, or anything else.
I used to stay on springfield in Queens when i was younger. I may have a tendency to be a "try-hard" like you mention, but not please white people. I do it because i have a passion to be myself, therefore i do not like when people assume that i am "cooned out".

Blackness has a little to do with those terms, don't you think? a large chunk(mostly black) of the population associate those terms with "unblack".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,563 posts, read 6,536,338 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

What I'm speaking of are people (not saying you do this) who say "Look at me! I'm not like those other black folks because I'm a hipster/into heavy metal/Republican/suburban yuppie" then interject that little nugget about themselves to downplay and make irrelevant certain "black topics" like the idea of a "black mecca" and are thus used by the media and individuals who despise those sorts of things as back up for their vitriol. Basically the Amy Holmes/Clarence Thomas/Juan Williams of the world. To me that's just a bunch of silliness as "blackness" has nothing to do with being a hipster, Republican, what kind of music you listen to, or anything else.
*passes the offering plate*

Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,073 posts, read 12,901,666 times
Reputation: 6135
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Blackness has a little to do with those terms, don't you think? a large chunk(mostly black) of the population associate those terms with "unblack".
Ok, here's a simple breakdown based on a hypothetical situation:

A black man who lives in Buckhead, more likely to eat sushi than chittlins (by a 100% margin), listens to dubstep, owns Toms shoes, and drives a Prius.

If hypothetical black man "A" does those things solely because it brings his life enjoyment and are his preferences, it's fine because who cares that the masses deem it "unblack" to do so. It's his life, his decisions and it doesn't make him "less" black for doing so. It's 2012 for crying out loud.

If hypothetical black man "B" does those things to be contrary to everying the masses deem as being "black", and makes sure to let people know it, then that is a big problem.

For the record, hypothetical black man is me...except for listening to dubstep. That stuff sucks.

Last edited by waronxmas; 01-27-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM
 
15,061 posts, read 24,126,220 times
Reputation: 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
...

For the record, hypothetical black man "A" is me...except for listening to dubstep. That stuff sucks.

Just clarifying (see above).
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
714 posts, read 688,322 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Are you all kidding? I really dont care for the term, but to pretend that some Atlanta posters do not use "my city has a big black population, therefore x" is a practice in delusion. Being that i am black and love Atlanta i'd like to move away from that point. It simply doesn't appeal like many think it does, maybe i was reading really old posts, but Atlantans have put forth this argument before. You all can stop treating me like an enemy now.

Waron,
Do you really think that blog article helps anything? Mocking black people who are "different"is something i would expect from a redneck, not well-intentioned black folk? i usually love reading your posts, but this....
Question: your use of the word "redneck". Obviously a derogatory term of disparagement unfailingly expressed toward white people. As you are black, is it appropriate for you to use this word? If so, why? Is it then ok for whites to use, openly, such derogatory terms when referencing those of other races?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top