U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

23,728 posts, read 19,485,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Atlanta is one of the premiere major where a sizable black middle class and black leadership exists that gives many something to be proud of and it is something that doesn't exist in too many places
That's one of Atlanta's greatest qualities, it is a very accepting city. I think many people are shocked to find this in the American South. Ever been to Alabama, Tennessee, or Mississippi?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM

183 posts, read 157,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok, here's a simple breakdown based on a hypothetical situation:

A black man who lives in Buckhead, more likely to eat sushi than chittlins (by a 100% margin), listens to dubstep, owns Toms shoes, and drives a Prius.

If hypothetical black man "A" does those things solely because it brings his life enjoyment and are his preferences, it's fine because who cares that the masses deem it "unblack" to do so. It's his life, his decisions and it doesn't make him "less" black for doing so. It's 2012 for crying out loud.

If hypothetical black man "B" does those things to be contrary to everying the masses deem as being "black", and makes sure to let people know it, then that is a big problem.

For the record, hypothetical black man is me...except for listening to dubstep. That stuff sucks.
Man dubstep has gotten mainstream.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Question: your use of the word "redneck". Obviously a derogatory term of disparagement unfailingly expressed toward white people. As you are black, is it appropriate for you to use this word? If so, why? Is it then ok for whites to use, openly, such derogatory terms when referencing those of other races?
"Redneck" only describes a certain type of white person. I think you are trying to find something similar to "********" which insults a whole race. In which case "honk.ey" or "cracker" which applys to a whole race is more appropriate. No those words are not ok.

A black person calling a white guy a "redneck" in reference to a white guy who has those characteristics is no different then a white guy like you calling youn black guys "thugs" becuase they dress a certain way. I hope that clarifies.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM

16,222 posts, read 9,044,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
"Redneck" only describes a certain type of white person. I think you are trying to find something similar to "********" which insults a whole race. In which case "honk.ey" or "cracker" which applys to a whole race is more appropriate.
This reminds me of a nice white guy here in GA who was a roof contractor when my husband was out of work, he went and asked the guy if he could help them work for money (this was back when we were young and broke) and the guy said okay and that he'd pay him $8 an hour for the week. I asked the man's name to thank him and he said to call him "Cracker." I look at him like and was like "for real, you want me to call you Cracker!" He said yea LOL! He was a great guy and I never got used to calling him Cracker. He told me that Crackers were originally only referring to white guys for GA and that was what he was so we could call him Cracker LOL.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

13,819 posts, read 8,275,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Hello everyone,

I' have been frequenting this forum for about 5 months and I've noticed that Atlanta posters love to brag about being the black mecca. Now this may be true, but why is it so important to bring it up every other post? Atlanta has a lot more going for it. I'm black and i would never think of using this "black mecca" argument to boost a city.

Black people make up 13% of the overall population. I'm sure the other 87% percent could care less that Atlanta is a black mecca, what does this offer the other 87%? this isn't very appealing to many people and I think black Atlantans may be a bit blind to this fact because they are so proud of our accomplishments, there is no simply "wow" factor here.

I've lived in Atlanta and will be back down there in a month or two. I think we need to establish character(for example seattle is very white, but they are "known" for open-mindedness and indie music) and boast about that, simply saying we are the black mecca will probably drive more people away from atlanta rather than brinng them in. I'm just being honest, most people aren't very fond of hanging in predominately "black" areas--- we have alot of problems internal to our community that are highly publicized, this steers others away from wanting to be a part of that.

My question: What are Atlanta posters trying to accomplish with this black mecca point?

Maybe it is obvious and i just have John McWhorter-ism.
I think when people use that phrase they use it as a positive because they see it as a positive, when on the other hand you seem to view it as a pejorative. Some black folks are not ashamed of themselves and their culture, as much as you would like them to be, apparently. I know many people, black people, who visited Atlanta and were impressed with the high visibility success of black people in Atlanta, to the degree that it was inspiring and motivational to them. I think when many black people see other black people doing well and achieving, it inspires them to do well and achieve.

I am not a big fan of the Atlanta hype, as some may know. However, I am less of a fan of those who try to accommodate racism by suggesting black folks in Atlanta should not celebrate the fact that it has been one of the most progressive areas for blacks the last couple of decades. One man’s treasure may be another mans garbage. I guess black folks should not enjoy the treasure of us because others see us as garbage.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

12 posts, read 14,047 times
So-So Def Records, Outkast, T.I.

Its the music in my opinion. and the once treasured Freaknik.

And Mike Vick.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM

714 posts, read 689,020 times
Quote:
"Redneck" only describes a certain type of white person. I think you are trying to find something similar to "********" which insults a whole race. In which case "honk.ey" or "cracker" which applys to a whole race is more appropriate. No those words are not ok.

A black person calling a white guy a "redneck" in reference to a white guy who has those characteristics is no different then a white guy like you calling youn black guys "thugs" becuase they dress a certain way. I hope that clarifies.
Hmmmm. Not sure about that. Thugs could refer to any kind of person. Rednecks is strictly white. Some say there are "black people" and then there are....the other kind. I think that is a more apt comparison. No white person I know cares about being called a cracker or a ******. There used to be a baseball team in Atlanta called the crackers, after all. And ****** is almost silly.

Personally, as a white person, I think redneck is an offensive term when used by blacks. It is often used quite broadly to denigrate white people. I.e, the tea party is full of rednecks. That same term would never be directed toward the Occupy Wall Street crowd. Seems to me redneck is now frequently used derogatorily toward a white person with conservative values, especially by blacks. If a black person were to have a public confrontation with a white person and use the term redneck, for me that would definitely move it into the category of hate crime.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm. Not sure about that. Thugs could refer to any kind of person. Rednecks is strictly white. Some say there are "black people" and then there are....the other kind. I think that is a more apt comparison. No white person I know cares about being called a cracker or a ******. There used to be a baseball team in Atlanta called the crackers, after all. And ****** is almost silly.

Personally, as a white person, I think redneck is an offensive term when used by blacks. It is often used quite broadly to denigrate white people. I.e, the tea party is full of rednecks. That same term would never be directed toward the Occupy Wall Street crowd. Seems to me redneck is now frequently used derogatorily toward a white person with conservative values, especially by blacks. If a black person were to have a public confrontation with a white person and use the term redneck, for me that would definitely move it into the category of hate crime.
Some say there are "rednecks" and then some say "white people" too. Especially, since whites call other whites redneck.

As a black person I am offended when a "thug" or " ghetto" is used by s white person to describe a black person becuase it is often used to denigrate black people. It is often used to judge a black person by either their income or superficial reasons like style of dress of dialect. I think it would also be a hate crime for a white person to call a black person a "thug" or " ghetto".

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,800,335 times
Quote:
If a black person were to have a public confrontation with a white person and use the term redneck, for me that would definitely move it into the category of hate crime.
Then you are being uber-sensitive, as usual.

And don't for one minute think there is no such thing as a black redneck. Going to Jr. High in Tallahassee, that would have described about a third of my friends (and they would tell you the same).

Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM

714 posts, read 689,020 times
Quote:
Some say there are "rednecks" and then some say "white people" too. Especially, since whites call other whites redneck.

As a black person I am offended when a "thug" or " ghetto" is used by s white person to describe a black person becuase it is often used to denigrate black people. It is often used to judge a black person by either their income or superficial reasons like style of dress of dialect. I think it would also be a hate crime for a white person to call a black person a "thug" or " ghetto".
Black people call other black people the N word,too, don't they?

There were mafioso thugs long before there were black thugs. it is a very generic term that can be used in many ways. Some call the Russian Govt a "thugocracy" fo example.

And ghetto is defined as a place, like the 'hood, and not an adjective, last time I checked.

I wouldnt use the redneck term in public toward white people, if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta