U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,942 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Black people call other black people the N word,too, don't they?

There were mafioso thugs long before there were black thugs. it is a very generic term that can be used in many ways. Some call the Russian Govt a "thugocracy" fo example.

And ghetto is defined as a place, like the 'hood, and not an adjective, last time I checked.

I wouldnt use the redneck term in public toward white people, if I were you.
I think you mean "nigg.a".

Suburban white , asian and hispanic kids call each other that too. Not seeing the point of the first statement.

I don't care what the original use of "thug" or " ghetto" but how it is used now to insult and stereotype blacks. I wouldn't go around calling blacks "ghetto" or "thugs" either in public if I were you, even as a black person using it it is offensive to many of us.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
 
15,111 posts, read 24,182,391 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think when people use that phrase they use it as a positive because they see it as a positive, when on the other hand you seem to view it as a pejorative. Some black folks are not ashamed of themselves and their culture, as much as you would like them to be, apparently. I know many people, black people, who visited Atlanta and were impressed with the high visibility success of black people in Atlanta, to the degree that it was inspiring and motivational to them. I think when many black people see other black people doing well and achieving, it inspires them to do well and achieve.

I am not a big fan of the Atlanta hype, as some may know. However, I am less of a fan of those who try to accommodate racism by suggesting black folks in Atlanta should not celebrate the fact that it has been one of the most progressive areas for blacks the last couple of decades. One man’s treasure may be another mans garbage. I guess black folks should not enjoy the treasure of us because others see us as garbage.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
 
110 posts, read 222,174 times
Reputation: 121
Won't be long before this thread is shut down for the usual reasons.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 799,734 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok, here's a simple breakdown based on a hypothetical situation:

A black man who lives in Buckhead, more likely to eat sushi than chittlins (by a 100% margin), listens to dubstep, owns Toms shoes, and drives a Prius.

If hypothetical black man "A" does those things solely because it brings his life enjoyment and are his preferences, it's fine because who cares that the masses deem it "unblack" to do so. It's his life, his decisions and it doesn't make him "less" black for doing so. It's 2012 for crying out loud.

If hypothetical black man "B" does those things to be contrary to everying the masses deem as being "black", and makes sure to let people know it, then that is a big problem.

For the record, hypothetical black man is me...except for listening to dubstep. That stuff sucks.
I care(on my Iphone). the "masses" can include family, close friends, future employers, etc. The issue isn't that personal. black man B would be silly in acting a certain way for the sake of rebellion, so i won't defend that. I don't want to steer off track, but i think there is major benefit in refuting the pernicious idea that blacks must kowtow to certain lifestyles and mannerisms. Maybe our life experiences are a bit different. I'm always being snickered at for listening to several genres of music outside of rap and r&b, leisure reading and other "white" stuff.maybe this will not be the case when i settle back down in Atlanta? who knows.I just know this stuff needs to be fixed, so i speak out when i can.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 799,734 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Question: your use of the word "redneck". Obviously a derogatory term of disparagement unfailingly expressed toward white people. As you are black, is it appropriate for you to use this word? If so, why? Is it then ok for whites to use, openly, such derogatory terms when referencing those of other races?
The comment was aimed at a culture that exists in many races. Scholars, like Thomas Sowell would label what many coin to be "thug" as "redneck" given the origin of the culture, so lets not use the term so narrowly. I know many white people who aren't redneck, so you criticism doesn't apply to me.

Last edited by meep; 01-27-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 799,734 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think when people use that phrase they use it as a positive because they see it as a positive, when on the other hand you seem to view it as a pejorative. Some black folks are not ashamed of themselves and their culture, as much as you would like them to be, apparently. I know many people, black people, who visited Atlanta and were impressed with the high visibility success of black people in Atlanta, to the degree that it was inspiring and motivational to them. I think when many black people see other black people doing well and achieving, it inspires them to do well and achieve.

I am not a big fan of the Atlanta hype, as some may know. However, I am less of a fan of those who try to accommodate racism by suggesting black folks in Atlanta should not celebrate the fact that it has been one of the most progressive areas for blacks the last couple of decades. One man’s treasure may be another mans garbage. I guess black folks should not enjoy the treasure of us because others see us as garbage.
Now, to get back on topic.Yes Black Atlantans should be proud of this, but to celebrate this as if Atlanta were the only place were this was possible is a bit off. I rarely hear DC bringing this up and they aren't too far behind Atlanta in this regard. My question: Why would this be a hooking point for Mainstream America?

This is analogous to Miami posters bringing up the Latin statistic? Most people do not care. It is just not a big deal in the broader framework, these things are great historical events more than anything else.

let's try to be objective here.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
714 posts, read 688,968 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
I think you mean "nigg.a".

Suburban white , asian and hispanic kids call each other that too. Not seeing the point of the first statement.

I don't care what the original use of "thug" or " ghetto" but how it is used now to insult and stereotype blacks. I wouldn't go around calling blacks "ghetto" or "thugs" either in public if I were you, even as a black person using it it is offensive to many of us.
Too late!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,942 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Now, to get back on topic.Yes Black Atlantans should be proud of this, but to celebrate this as if Atlanta were the only place were this was possible is a bit off. I rarely hear DC bringing this up and they aren't too far behind Atlanta in this regard. My question: Why would this be a hooking point for Mainstream America?

This is analogous to Miami posters bringing up the Latin statistic? Most people do not care. It is just not a big deal in the broader framework, these things are great historical events more than anything else.

let's try to be objective here.
Yet, we tell you over and over that Atlanta posters don't typically do this unless it is brought up. Often for the same reason you say we shouldn't. So what is it that you want the Atlanta posters, many of which that don't boost the city as a "black mecca" do? Kill everyone in the media?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
 
13,819 posts, read 8,274,564 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Now, to get back on topic.Yes Black Atlantans should be proud of this, but to celebrate this as if Atlanta were the only place were this was possible is a bit off. I rarely hear DC bringing this up and they aren't too far behind Atlanta in this regard. My question: Why would this be a hooking point for Mainstream America?

This is analogous to Miami posters bringing up the Latin statistic? Most people do not care. It is just not a big deal in the broader framework, these things are great historical events more than anything else.

let's try to be objective here.

It’s one thing not to care and it’s another thing to attempt to censure what others find value in. It’s just like TV commercials. Each commercial seeks to reach a target demographic over the airwaves, based upon the demographics of those who watch a particular channel or show. Hence, I am sure you see commercial all the time that you really do not care about, but I imagine you are smart enough to know that even though you are not interested or care, that someone else does. I am sure that there are some commercials where you are the target demographic and find interest in the advertisement, while others watching maybe outside the demographic and find no interest or value in what you find interest or value.

Forums are open venues where people off all different types of demographics converge to share thoughts and ideas. If thoughts or ideas are being shared that are not of value to you, then simply change the channel or don’t read them and those who do find value can be stimulated. There is no captive audience in here. Everyone is free to gravitate towards their interest and what they find stimulation from. I think it is rather pompous to try and censure what others find stimulating just because others do not, as if others do not find topics that you find stimulating as boring and without worth. Simply move on if you don’t find something of your taste. Don’t try to block others from enjoying something just because you find it distasteful.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 799,734 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Yet, we tell you over and over that Atlanta posters don't typically do this unless it is brought up. Often for the same reason you say we shouldn't. So what is it that you want the Atlanta posters, many of which that don't boost the city as a "black mecca" do? Kill everyone in the media?
And i keep saying maybe i was mistaken in saying that Atlanta posters used the exact term term "black mecca", but many posters do throw line of reasoning that "we have successful blacks, therefore..." in threads that have nothing to do with "just" black people.I'm sure i saw this in the Atlanta nightlife vs DC nightlife, the Atlanta vs Miami thread(the 800+ one), etc. the threads are out there.I see that you are new also, so maybe you've missed it.

The media isn't the only one doing this, talk to black people in Atlanta and they'll hint at it too(not too many though, which is a good thing).


Again, I'm not attacking Atlanta. I'm attacking a line of reasoning use to boost the city, which probably doesn't do a good job.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top