U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 799,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It’s one thing not to care and it’s another thing to attempt to censure what others find value in. It’s just like TV commercials. Each commercial seeks to reach a target demographic over the airwaves, based upon the demographics of those who watch a particular channel or show. Hence, I am sure you see commercial all the time that you really do not care about, but I imagine you are smart enough to know that even though you are not interested or care, that someone else does. I am sure that there are some commercials where you are the target demographic and find interest in the advertisement, while others watching maybe outside the demographic and find no interest or value in what you find interest or value.

Forums are open venues where people off all different types of demographics converge to share thoughts and ideas. If thoughts or ideas are being shared that are not of value to you, then simply change the channel or don’t read them and those who do find value can be stimulated. There is no captive audience in here. Everyone is free to gravitate towards their interest and what they find stimulation from. I think it is rather pompous to try and censure what others find stimulating just because others do not, as if others do not find topics that you find stimulating as boring and without worth. Simply move on if you don’t find something of your taste. Don’t try to block others from enjoying something just because you find it distasteful.
I like that. I'm not trying to censor posters, but in advertising the person selling the product knows their audience from well-studied surveys, predispositions, etc. the situation is different here.The number of black people aren't too high on these particular threads, so why advertise this as a hooking point? it has nothing to do with marketing. My point is this preference among the minority of users on the board and in real life america shouldn't be used as if it would appeal to the broader base.

I'd be ok if we opened a discussion on black success in Atlanta in which all races participated, but in threads that are about the whole of the city it just doesn't work. There too much going for Atlanta to localize it on something like race.

Last edited by meep; 01-27-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM

I will sum it up this way: International cites do not do this. NY is not known for focusing on the success of one particular race. How would this attract big business, different races, yadda yadda(seinfeld reference). It just doesn't work. When you "compete" on the boards you want to be considerate to the mass of readership, if you are too inward and say things that only matter to some people you are going to lose. This is why many people bash Atlanta on this board.We have to highlight the more universal aspects of the city.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM

183 posts, read 157,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
And i keep saying maybe i was mistaken in saying that Atlanta posters used the exact term term "black mecca", but many posters do throw line of reasoning that "we have successful blacks, therefore..." in threads that have nothing to do with "just" black people.I'm sure i saw this in the Atlanta nightlife vs DC nightlife, the Atlanta vs Miami thread(the 800+ one), etc. the threads are out there.I see that you are new also, so maybe you've missed it.

The media isn't the only one doing this, talk to black people in Atlanta and they'll hint at it too(not too many though, which is a good thing).

Again, I'm not attacking Atlanta. I'm attacking a line of reasoning use to boost the city, which probably doesn't do a good job.
So you are going to take a phrase of "we have successful blacks" out of context and assume whatever poster you are referring is trying to use that as the sole reason to like or move to Atlanta and then turn around and blame the people of Atlanta? Does that make sense to you? Go back to these threads and address THOSE people. Obviously, none of us has done it, so what do you want us to do?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I will sum it up this way: International cites do not do this. NY is not known for focusing on the success of one particular race. How would this attract big business, different races, yadda yadda(seinfeld reference). It just doesn't work. When you "compete" on the boards you want to be considerate to the mass of readership, if you are too inward and say things that only matter to some people you are going to lose. This is why many people bash Atlanta on this board.We have to highlight the more universal aspects of the city.

So you are going to base this off a few posters you saw in some out of context post on a forum to say that people in Atlanta boost " black success" too much? This somehow means the city of Atlanta is responsible for the perception and that is boost it because few people mention it on board? Are you serious? How is Atlanta itself boosting any race?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM

3,600 posts, read 4,861,132 times
Quote:
And i keep saying maybe i was mistaken in saying that Atlanta posters used the exact term term "black mecca", but many posters do throw line of reasoning that "we have successful blacks, therefore..." in threads that have nothing to do with "just" black people.I'm sure i saw this in the Atlanta nightlife vs DC nightlife, the Atlanta vs Miami thread(the 800+ one), etc. the threads are out there.I see that you are new also, so maybe you've missed it.

The media isn't the only one doing this, talk to black people in Atlanta and they'll hint at it too(not too many though, which is a good thing).

Again, I'm not attacking Atlanta. I'm attacking a line of reasoning use to boost the city, which probably doesn't do a good job.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
So you are going to take a phrase of "we have successful blacks" out of context and assume whatever poster you are referring is trying to use that as the sole reason to like or move to Atlanta and then turn around and blame the people of Atlanta? Does that make sense to you? Go back to these threads and address THOSE people. Obviously, none of us has done it, so what do you want us to do?
How would you know I'm using anything out of context? I didn't respond in specific threads because i thought asking more generally in one thread would do a better job of addressing the issue. Stop villifying my posts lol. I probably like Atlanta more than alot people posting here, this is not some war.

And stop pretending as if my claim here has zero warrant. Many posters here know exactly what I am talking about( are you simply ignoring posts that don't go along with your view). I really wish some of you all would stop trying to stamp out honest inquiry because you "believe" everyone in Atlanta is innocent with respect to my question.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM

3,600 posts, read 4,861,132 times
Quote:
Keep on preachin'!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Keep on preachin'!
Haha i'm glad someone sees my point. By the nature of some the responses I've been getting, you'd think i was bad-mouthing the city and the people. I had a large part of my upbringing there and plan on going back, so this is not the case.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
How would you know I'm using anything out of context? I didn't respond in specific threads because i thought asking more generally in one thread would do a better job of addressing the issue. Stop villifying my posts lol. I probably like Atlanta more than alot people posting here, this is not some war.

And stop pretending as if my claim here has zero warrant. Many posters here know exactly what I am talking about( are you simply ignoring posts that don't go along with your view). I really wish some of you all would stop trying to stamp out honest inquiry because you "believe" everyone in Atlanta is innocent with respect to my question.

I am still wondering what the goal is and how the city of Atlanta has anything to do with it. Obviously, posters are going to bring up anything that matters to them and if you have been around long enough you see plenty of "asian mecca" post too. So what is your plan? How do you plan to stop the few Atlanta posters who talk about successful blacks and the stop the media from doing it?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,317,191 times
No such thing as a "Black Mecca" in the US. Regardless of how many black politicians are in office, or how many high profile black executives reside on one area, unfortunately (we) do not have and/or control the equity in Atlanta or any of these other cities. I know the truth hurts, but until we obtain true equity in Atlanta we run nothing, and Atlanta will never be a true "Black Mecca". Because ownership is were the true power lies.

Moving here from New York I do appreciate our visible presence in this city as opposed to NYC, but I never let it fool me into thinking that this is a "Black Mecca".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta