U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,913 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Haha i'm glad someone sees my point. By the nature of some the responses I've been getting, you'd think i was bad-mouthing the city and the people. I had a large part of my upbringing there and plan on going back, so this is not the case.
Would you be ok if no one ever mentioned the educated/successful black class here? Apparently, anyone who does clearly doesn't boost any other aspects of the city and we can't have people thinking there is a educated and successful black population here because that will scare off other people.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,593 posts, read 4,858,177 times
Reputation: 2702
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Haha i'm glad someone sees my point. By the nature of some the responses I've been getting, you'd think i was bad-mouthing the city and the people. I had a large part of my upbringing there and plan on going back, so this is not the case.
Oh I would always get attacked and called racist, etc. The same thing happens when crime, racial tension, homelessness, etc are mentioned in Atlanta threads. People act like you're crazy if you point it out. Then you have to hear about how it's just as bad or worse in other cities.

I like how the one poster said that they have never heard of it called a Black Mecca.. LOL are you kidding me? As you said, it may not always be in those exact words, but you can expect it to be mentioned in any ATL vs City X threads. Like the OP mentioned 87% of the population is of other races. It's prob not the best selling point. If ATL isnt this "black mecca" that people are denying it being called then why were there petitions and demonstrations and radio shows, signs posted, etc about keeping the mayor black when Mary Norwood ran a few years ago? And no one can say that all of that didnt happen, how offensive and closed minded that makes Atlanta look. I think people there were embarassed about it and just deny that it happened because it does make Atlanta look bad. Saving face is the southern way though.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 798,602 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
I am still wondering what the goal is and how the city of Atlanta has anything to do with it. Obviously, posters are going to bring up anything that matters to them and if you have been around long enough you see plenty of "asian mecca" post too. So what is your plan? How do you plan to stop the few Atlanta posters who talk about successful blacks and the stop the media from doing it?
Which is why inquired. I was just bringing it to *some* Atlantans attention that this isn't very appealing across the board, that is all. I even asked if I was missing something in that particular hooking point? I want Atlanta to progress just as much as the next person, but I just asked to be criticized on what I'm actually saying( and not the bizzare implications people seem to be extracting from the post.).

Sorry if my last post was a bit heated.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 798,602 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Would you be ok if no one ever mentioned the educated/successful black class here? Apparently, anyone who does clearly doesn't boost any other aspects of the city and we can't have people thinking there is a educated and successful black population here because that will scare off other people.
That's ok. to reverse Waron's point to support my view, this view almost screams " look at us, we are black and successful and you thought it couldn't be done... yada yada". If Atlanta is to ever advance we have to get off of this horse.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 798,602 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Oh I would always get attacked and called racist, etc. The same thing happens when crime, racial tension, homelessness, etc are mentioned in Atlanta threads. People act like you're crazy if you point it out. Then you have to hear about how it's just as bad or worse in other cities.

I like how the one poster said that they have never heard of it called a Black Mecca.. LOL are you kidding me? As you said, it may not always be in those exact words, but you can expect it to be mentioned in any ATL vs City X threads. Like the OP mentioned 87% of the population is of other races. It's prob not the best selling point. If ATL isnt this "black mecca" that people are denying it being called then why were there petitions and demonstrations and radio shows, signs posted, etc about keeping the mayor black when Mary Norwood ran a few years ago? And no one can say that all of that didnt happen, how offensive and closed minded that makes Atlanta look. I think people there were embarassed about it and just deny that it happened because it does make Atlanta look bad. Saving face is the southern way though.
I'm not familiar with the Norwood incident? I have no problem with V103( or whateverstation did this) promoting their view because they are free to do so, plus most of their fanbase(with the exception of me and a small percentage of others, i'm sure) already think this way. I just don't see the benefit in being bent on a particular race when you are trying to become international or speak across racial lines, why this isn't obvious to people here is beyond me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,913 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I'm not familiar with the Norwood incident? I have no problem with V103( or whateverstation did this) promoting their view because they are free to do so, plus most of their fanbase(with the exception of me and a small percentage of others, i'm sure) already think this way. I just don't see the benefit in being bent on a particular race when you are trying to become international or speak across racial lines, why this isn't obvious to people here is beyond me.
You haven't told us how the city does this.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,913 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Oh I would always get attacked and called racist, etc. The same thing happens when crime, racial tension, homelessness, etc are mentioned in Atlanta threads. People act like you're crazy if you point it out. Then you have to hear about how it's just as bad or worse in other cities.

I like how the one poster said that they have never heard of it called a Black Mecca.. LOL are you kidding me? As you said, it may not always be in those exact words, but you can expect it to be mentioned in any ATL vs City X threads. Like the OP mentioned 87% of the population is of other races. It's prob not the best selling point. If ATL isnt this "black mecca" that people are denying it being called then why were there petitions and demonstrations and radio shows, signs posted, etc about keeping the mayor black when Mary Norwood ran a few years ago? And no one can say that all of that didnt happen, how offensive and closed minded that makes Atlanta look. I think people there were embarassed about it and just deny that it happened because it does make Atlanta look bad. Saving face is the southern way though.
I could care less if other people from other cities say but how often do ATLANTA posters do this? By reading this thread you would think it is all we talk about on this site when that isn't even close to the truth. The OP just admitted he doesn't want anyone to mention this aspect ever. I think he is being a bit extreme in that sense.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,593 posts, read 4,858,177 times
Reputation: 2702
You're right. Meep is making the whole thing up.
Can it even be pinpointed?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
 
183 posts, read 157,913 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You're right. Meep is making the whole thing up.
Can it even be pinpointed?
Like I said, this usually doesn't come from Atlanta posters. You guys might as well cry a river if don't want anyone to ever mention the educated/middle class black here ever again.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,027 posts, read 798,602 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachcity View Post
Like I said, this usually doesn't come from Atlanta posters. You guys might as well cry a river if don't want anyone to ever mention the educated/middle class black here ever again.
I meant it was ok to talk about it, not that it was ok to completely disregard it. I think this is a good ting, especially since I am black and this secretly gives me a boost of conifidence to be successful. But to use this as hooking point/ brag about this isn't humble and not very inviting. Of course you would say this doesn't happen, we just disagree.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top