U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,041 times

Advertisements

Hi

Im from Malmoe its located in the south of Sweden and Im planing on travel to Atlanta soon
and I just have a few questions that I would love to get answers to

1. Is Atlanta a hospitable town?
2.I Love football and I just wonder if there are a Falcons store near downtown of Atlanta?
3.Which areas of Atlanta should I avoid?Is downtown safe to be in?

would appreciate answers to these questions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
Default Atlanta is great

1. yes its hospitable
2. you can find Falcons gear at CNN Center or at Phillips arena.
3. We have travel ambassadors all around downtown that would guide you in the right direction and answer and tourist questions.. If you are weary of asking strangers

Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 AM

3,355 posts, read 7,261,218 times
I agree - most people are very hospitable and eager to help. The parts of town that draw tourists are quite safe for the most part. Be sensible and use good common sense and you'll be fine. Will you be able to catch a Falcon's game?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Will you be able to catch a Falcon's game?
I hope so thats one of the main reasons why im going to the ATL to see the Falcons so I wil probably spend some time inside the Georgia Dome

Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 32,135,785 times
Overall for a large American city it's friendly. Keep in mind that few people who live here are actually FROM here, as Atlanta is known as a city of "transplants" - people who have moved here from elsewhere. As a result you'll get a mix of people.

The area of downtown known as "Five Points" is generally the most dirty and dangerous - you don't want to walk around there after dark, though some will say it's not that bad (it is). Just north of there in the hotel area of Peachtree Street, you'll generally see more folks walking around and it's cleaner, etc. The areas north of there (Midtown, Buckhead) are cleaner. If you have the time, visit the neighborhood of "Virginia Highlands" as it has a nice village feel/look to it.

People here hate the dome stadium by the way - it's WAY ugly.

Oh, and per the subject line. Just call it "Atlanta"... some who live here (like me - personal opinion only) consider "the ATL" to be street slang and ghetto-thug-slang, even though it's trendy. I mean, if you LIKE Rap/HipHop and wearing your pants down to your rear, call it the ATL and fit in. LOL. Me? NOT.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM

481 posts, read 2,708,607 times
If you're from Sweden you might be surprised by the relentless beggers that populate various parts of downtown and midtown Atlanta.

I'll tell you right now, anything they tell you is not true, and if you ever make eye contact you're pretty much going to have to endure an epic 10 minute long and extremely preposterous story. Oftentimes the older ones will throw in a couple of life lessons for good measure. And for some reason they always feel obligated to recite the stories before asking for money. I have A LOT of experience with these beggers and I know and can recognize a lot of them by name.... trust me, as a foreigner, you'll probably be taken aback. Just so you know.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 AM

3,355 posts, read 7,261,218 times
I was wondering what a Falcon's fan from Sweden has to say about Michael Vick and his recent exploits?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was wondering what a Falcon's fan from Sweden has to say about Michael Vick and his recent exploits?
well Im not a Falcons fan I dont really have a favourite team I just love Football
I play WR for a local team here in Malmoe and a perfect word to describe me is like the NFL Network slogan "I am Football 24/7"

what I feel about the Vick situation is that is horrible what he did do all them dogs and I think that he deserves to be locked up after what he did
and I dont see him playing in the NFL when he gets out

I dont know what yall in Atlanta feel about the Vick situation?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM

11,333 posts, read 24,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
People here hate the dome stadium by the way - it's WAY ugly.
Just like the Baggiedome in the Twin Cities. People up there hate that one, also. :-)

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM

106 posts, read 363,665 times
You can buy Falcons stuff ANYWHERE! Even Wal*Marts and Dollar Stores. And still get licensed stuff. Don't overpay if you don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>