Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

Behind these price increases, I think a lot of people will be seeking an alternative form of entertainment...

Comcast raises rates; competitors prices go up as well

"Many of metro Atlanta Comcast customers started off the year with higher cable bills as the nation’s top cable provider raised rates for most of its TV packages.

But frustrated customers may find little options elsewhere as competitors such as DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse are bumping up their prices as well..."

http://www.ajc.com/business/comcast-raises-rates-competitors-1330860.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
Nah. You just call them up and politely say this is too much of an increase and you may need to drop cable or go to DirecTV. They dropped my bill $40 a month for the next 12 months and got 6 month of free HBO. I do this every year.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I just use internet and have Netflix via Roku--started in January. So far I like it.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Nah. You just call them up and politely say this is too much of an increase and you may need to drop cable or go to DirecTV. They dropped my bill $40 a month for the next 12 months and got 6 month of free HBO. I do this every year.
Never hurts to just ask your existing provider before deciding to use a cheaper alternative. Good point made.

Though this is about cable and not internet service, per se:

Just curious, anyone here like Clear OK? - I was thinking of switching to that myself as I have tweedle-dum (AT&T) or -dee (Comcast) for my usual choices for Internet. I don't watch TV or have a landline to bother with so no bundled packages for me.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Never hurts to just ask your existing provider before deciding to use a cheaper alternative. Good point made.
We tried that with DirecTV. They didn't budge. They were glad to reduce our monthly rate by switching us to a smaller package with fewer channels.

I can't wait to switch back to Comcast, as crap-tastic as it is. And I know when I do I will get a good introductory rate.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Just curious, anyone here like Clear OK? - I was thinking of switching to that myself as I have tweedle-dum (AT&T) or -dee (Comcast) for my usual choices for Internet. I don't watch TV or have a landline to bother with so no bundled packages for me.
I had Clear for two weeks and managed to return/cancel service during the trial period. Their marketing is borderline false advertising, and they reach out to customers they really shouldn't be reaching out to (ie: me).

I knew, with streaming HD TV shows and movies, that I would be a high bandwidth user. So I bought the most expensive service they offer, with "unlimited" high-speed internet. The materials said that this was ideal for people who want to stream video--sounded about right. I also run a web business and remotely access my office desktop a lot, all at the same time, so I need speed.

Well, it worked great for a few days. I could watch whatever, whenever, and do all my internet stuff all at once. Then they throttled me for excessive bandwidth use. My ~5-6 mbps download speed turned into ~.25 mbps. It was like 1998 all over again.

The customer service people must deal with this frequently, and their goal seems to be to keep the customer hanging on until the trial period expires. Once, they "reset my connection with the tower" to make it "work again". The next time, they asked the bizarre question, "did this only happen when you are on the internet?" which I refused to answer directly.

I read some forums about it and knew exactly what was going on, so I was using the trial period as long as possible until Comcast could come over. I like Clear's product a lot and think it has promise for the future, but they have sketchy sales tactics and are not upfront about the limitations of their system.

If you mainly just check email and stuff, you'll probably be fine. But if you download to the tune of 10GB/month (which isn't outlandish) you'll need to look elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
We dropped cable last year and don't miss it. We now get over 60 channels with our $11 digital antenna including many channels I did not know existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Behind these price increases, I think a lot of people will be seeking an alternative form of entertainment...

Comcast raises rates; competitors prices go up as well

"Many of metro Atlanta Comcast customers started off the year with higher cable bills as the nation’s top cable provider raised rates for most of its TV packages.

But frustrated customers may find little options elsewhere as competitors such as DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse are bumping up their prices as well..."

http://www.ajc.com/business/comcast-raises-rates-competitors-1330860.html

Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
It's not just metro Atlanta... A large number of cable/telco companies have increased pricing for video in the period between December and now. I know Cox, AT&T, DirecTV, and Time Warner are some that have announced rate hikes.

"increased programming costs", whilst they push to force caps on the Internet and refuse to use their position to provide a la carte programming...

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
We dropped cable last year and don't miss it. We now get over 60 channels with our $11 digital antenna including many channels I did not know existed.

Is the antenna easy to install?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: