Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I was recently offered a job in Atlanta and my family (wife and 1.5 year old) and considering if we should take it. I went to graduate school at Emory, and I really enjoyed the city, but this time around, we are looking for something quieter and less dangerous. My wife and I lived in VaHi, and she would like something more suburban. After grad school, we moved to Orange County (Irvine). While its nice and quiet here, it is very tight/congested and extremely expensive. I think we would like something with this kind of feel, but in the Atlanta area.

1. Budget - about $1500 for rent
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute to Midtown
4. Children(public school vs. private) - public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Don't care, just safe to walk around

After my interview, I took a look around in East Cobb/Marietta area and Smyrna/Vinnings. Those areas seemed OK, but were more congested than I was expecting. The commute from Smyrna would be pretty good.

I didn't get a chance to check out Peachtree City. From what I've read, this seems like an area that would be a good fit. I've heard that the commute could be 30-40 minutes from Kendron/North side, but that seemed a little optimistic. If I could be around 45 minutes, that would be OK. Right now, my commute is 8 - 5, but I could adjust earlier if need be. Is this commute realistic? Can anyone compare East Cobb to PTC in general? I might not have been looking in the right places (I was looking toward the south end of East Cobb, closer to Marietta proper and Silver Springs).

BTW: I am familiar with Decatur, Buckhead, Morningside, etc. I know these are all better for the commute. We are looking OTP because we want to be a little detached from the city. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Coming from Irvine, I think you'll find the PTC area very much to your liking -- and if you stay in the Kedron / Tyrone area the commute to Midtown can indeed be done in 45 minutes. I know. I've done it. Ignore the people on here who inevitably will tell you the drive from Fayette County is hell. It is not, especially if you've got some flexibility. If QOL issues like safety, good schools and active communities is important to you than PTC is well worth the commute.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
Both areas are very nice. You can't go wrong. I'd see which commute was better and go from there. It can make all the difference in your quality of life.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 AM

744 posts, read 2,483,560 times
Once again, Newsboy is right on the money.

I am very familiar with all three areas ( Emory included) and I can honestly say the commute is a lot easier in general from the Kedron area of Peachtree City and Tyrone to The Emory area than South Cobb county.

I also find that living in Peachtree City is a lot more relaxing in general than living in the East Cobb area. You don't have to battle heavy traffic or what I call really " brisk" traffic the moment you set your foot out the door of your house at all times of the day.

I have relatives who live up in East Cobb, who choose not to go out of thier neighborhoods between the hours of 7 to 9:am in the morning and again from around 4 to 7 pm in the afternoon- evening time .This is because of the traffic they immedately have to go into just exiting thier neighborhood is really crazy.( Thankfully, they work from home - so they can do this)

Last edited by go falcons; 02-13-2012 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM

THANKS FOR THE PROPS GO FALCONS! Even though I think the OP is really only needing to commute to Midtown, you make a good point about the Emory area which is absolutely impossible to get to pretty much no matter where you are starting from.

BTW -- have you been following the efforts of former PTC mayor - now - county - commissioner Steve Brown's efforts to fix the problems at Ga 74 and I-85? Seems like last I read there was real movement underway to rebuild that interchange and possibly even turn the Ga 92 overpass about 2 miles north into a full-fledged exit?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM

I am reminded that exactly one year ago at this time my father was in Piedmont Hospital recovering from brain surgery, and every morning for a month we drove from Fayetteville to South Buckhead (Northside Drive to Collier Road) and it very seldom took more than 35-40 minutes. Again, to illustrate that the commute into the city from parts of the Southside is still often a fraction of the time it takes to come the same distance from the Northside!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I also find that living in Peachtree City is a lot more relaxing in general than living in the East Cobb area. You don't have to battle heavy traffic or what I call really " brisk" traffic the moment you set your foot out the door of your house at all times of the day.
When I was looking around in Smyrna and East Cobb, this is what surprised me. I figured it would be a little quieter there.

Thanks for all the advice. I guess we are still a little iffy on the commute, but it does seem like PTC is a better option than East Cobb.

I think I read somewhere else on this forum that an update 74/85 interchange was up for a vote? Not sure if that is true or not.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM

^^^ Don't know if a vote is really necessary for this one. The troubles have been ongoing for some time and it's something the state DOT has an obligation to fix -- and soon. That's why it is now on a fast-track. Problem has been that while most all the people affected live in FAYETTE COUNTY the intersection itself is actually in FULTON COUNTY by about one mile, in the City of Fairburn which has not been cooperative until now. I think that's why the state has stepped in.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM

744 posts, read 2,483,560 times
Newsboy - I read about his proposal back around the 1st of January but I haven't heard much else going on with it.
My one friend ,who I could always relie on to keep me up to date on all things political and developement wise in Peachtree City, moved back to California a few months ago and I really miss him and his insight.
I love Mr. Brown's proposal - and this sooo needs to be done !!

Last edited by go falcons; 02-15-2012 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM

7 posts, read 17,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
BTW -- have you been following the efforts of former PTC mayor - now - county - commissioner Steve Brown's efforts to fix the problems at Ga 74 and I-85? Seems like last I read there was real movement underway to rebuild that interchange and possibly even turn the Ga 92 overpass about 2 miles north into a full-fledged exit?

I have to laugh at this because about 2 weeks ago they hung yet *ANOTHER* stoplight on 74 about 2000 feet south of the interchange. It's right outside a new QuikTrip they are building. That will make 3 stoplights within 2000 feet to even get onto 85 from 74. That should help things flow much smoother through that area. I hope they time it properly when they turn it on otherwise expect even more problems in that area.

To the OP: Don't let the commute horror stories scare you. My family recently moved to PTC from Ohio, I work 8-5 in the Vinings area. It takes about 45 minutes either way from mid-PTC (74&54) to the Paces Ferry exit on 285, on an average day. If it's raining...well that's another story, leave work early. If you can shift your hours to avoid rush hour knock off another 5 minutes. The commute is worth the QOL you get in PTC.

When we were looking, our other consideration was East Cobb and we had the same feelings as you. We've been very happy in PTC so far, looking forward to some warmer weather when we can meet more of our neighbors.

Last edited by rlhjr72; 02-15-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta