Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 AM

6 posts, read 11,099 times

Advertisements

I rented an apartment unit at condo community. I noticed that there are animal activities(squirrel and possum) in the attic/space in between floor and ceiling. I reported the problem to the Property Manager who represents the owner . The PM was slow to respond.
Due to the PM of the landlord and/or HOA lack of response to correct the problem, I decided to terminate the lease early.

See background detail in this link //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nt-rights.html, unfortunately this thread is closed.

Here is the follow up of the events:
I sent the PM a 60-day notice of early termination. See what he replied:

“Understand that you do not have a termination agreement in your lease. Your situation, as corrected by the HOA, is not in my control nor are your living conditions threatened or viable for this type option. Your lease is for 12 months and if you are trying to break your lease you will be subject to its full provisions. Living conditions within your unit are not hazardous and the fact that we may have squirrels in the attic from time to time does not constitute an interior hazard as well.
Your patience is appreciated and all efforts are being made to remedy the situation. A number of calls have been made and animal control was called according to the property management team.”

What is this?? Just judge it by common senses -
I believe that tenants have a right to "habitable" premises. Is this conditions could make premises "uninhabitable"?

Instead of dumping the responsibility to HOA, should the landlord making repairs to keep your rental habitable in a timely manner? - If this were still owner occupied, I doubt this would be treated as low priority. Since he represents the owner to manager the property, shouldn't still be his and ultimately the owners' responsibility to have the issue corrected. The Lease also states that the landlord is responsible for pest control (termite and rodents).

It is not just squirrels in the attic and crawling space. It also has possum. I have contacted a wild life prevention service provider myself and they confirmed my observation.

Does anyone know where to find the Atlanta Housing and Public Health Codes/Regulations? And where to find reliable mediation or legal service in the area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
For housing regulations look under Part III, Appendix E. It's technically called the Atlanta Housing Code of 1987 but it's periodically updated.

Municode

You could also contact the Office of Code Compliance.

City of Atlanta, GA : Office of Code Compliance

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Thank you so much. Does Cobb County has specified regulation?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin676 View Post
Thank you so much. Does Cobb County has specified regulation?
You might find some info here:

Municode - Cobb County, Georgia - Code of Ordinances

Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Thanks. This is deep, I'll need a lot of studying during the week end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: