Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Man.....you cats down there are S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E. I think you guys have an inferiority complex that leads to overcompensation by overhyping the area. You are always trying to hype the area because of this insecurity about your stature relative to other areas. Its like the "small man complex" or something.
What's "sensitive" about telling the truth? Or do you think it's normal to treat us this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
And you know, there is an Atlanta, Texas.
DTL, I hear you and appreciate your comments.

As to there being an Atlanta, Texas, I'd be amazed if there are many people who think that's where Coca-Cola was founded, where CNN originated or where the country's busiest airport is located.

There's also a Boston, Indiana, a Philadelphia, TN, and a Cincinnati, Arkansas, yet you rarely hear those cities (the big ones) referred to by state.

In my opinion it's anti-South discrimination pure and simple.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
This could be mistaken with Atlanta, GA:

Crazy Black Friday fight in Atlanta TX WalMart over TOWELS 2011!! - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Most often it's Atlanta.

Feeling that there is anti-South discrimination over the use of "Atlanta, GA" is both ridiculous and paranoid.

Pure and simple.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have never liked the way Atlanta has been treated as the redheaded stepchild on the national level. I don't know how many times I've watched the weather on one of the big networks and they didn't even mention Atlanta. A lot of times we're not even on their map!

And last night was typical. I was watching the election coverage on various channels and all you heard about was how important Ohio is and how Santorum is surging in Tennessee and Oklahoma and blah, blah, blah. Excuse me, but how many delegates does Virginia have? 49. Ohio, 66. Tennessee, 58.

Well, hello, Georgia has 76!! Count 'em -- that's more than Alaska, North Dakota and Vermont put together.

And don't get me started on the way some newscasters still talk about "Atlanta, Georgia." No one ever finds it necessary to say "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania" or "San Francisco, California." That's because it's assumed everyone knows where they are. But for us, I guess they figure they have to add the state so their listeners won't be scratching their heads and going, "Atlanta? Where in the heck is that?"

It's like New York New York. It's so wonderful, ya gotta say it twice.

And ya can't say Atlanta without wanting to say Georgia!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Very well, I stand corrected.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Sorry, mate you're wrong. As a seasoned traveller I know there is about a 4 hour distance by car between Atlanta and Charlotte. The same 4 hour distance by car exists between New York and Washington. I have a hunch that Washington and New York are even closer as the crow flies, it's all the congestion and traffic between DC and New York that slow the trip down.

DC to Philly is about 2 hours by car, fwiw.
NY to DC 328.29 km (203.99 miles)

ATL CHT 394 Km (245 Miles)

Just a 41 miles difference. Anyway my point was the Piedmont is lined with cities, Of course they're smaller than the northeast but never the less Atlanta is not isolate. The Piedmont is a club of close cities, Raleigh, Greenboro/ winston-salem, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Atlanta. Birmingham is kind of a wild card because of that national park.

http://charlotteblogs.files.wordpres...megaregion.jpg

Atlanta to Greenville is 2 hours 25 mins.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Density,
Density,
Density,
Density,
Density,

There.....I said it!
You said density but you didn't mention that all your "methodology " is and nothing more. Density isn't total matter. Not under any context besides city proper you can say Detroit is bigger than Atlanta.

Quote:
The ONLY point I am trying to make is about POPULATION. All I am saying is that if people were fish in the ocean and the Atlanta area represented schools of fish and the Detroit area represented schools of fish......if fishermen threw out equally sized nets.....regardless of the size of the net used.......that they would have more fish in the Detroit net than the Atlanta net, assuming that all the fish were captured that fell within the size of the net. Regardless of what size net the fisherman uses, the fisherman will always capture more fish in the Detroit net BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE FISH. What does the fisherman care about why the fish are there? What does the fistherman care that its two or three schools of fish huddled together or just one big school of fish? His goal is to catch fish. When he takes his fish to the market.....he FUNCTIONALY has more fish to sell. You can talk about the Atlanta net catching a bigger single school of fish....but the bottom line is when you take those fish to market you have less fish to sell than the person who threw the same size net over multiple schools of fish. Hence, to argue that the person who caught MORE fish is not in the league of the person who caught LESS fish is absurd, unless one is arguing that the one who caught less fish is in the lower tier to the person who caught the most fish, in which case the Atlanta fisher was in a lower tier than the Detroit fisher, based upon the total catch.
Again that's call density, let me add to your metaphor lets say endanger fishes.

Just cause more Detroit fishes was caught doesn't mean it's more fishes than Atlanta. It just means more Detroit fishes were caught because they swim denser, the Atlanta school still will be lager. The Detroit fishes would be closer to extinction because their were less of them number of them before even the catch. Let it go the Atlanta region is bigger

Quote:
What you are arguing, and I am not disagreeing, following the analogy, is that the Atlanta single school of fish is larger than any single school of fish caught in the Detroit net. Yes....that is true. However, at the end of the day what really matters is not who had the largest single school of fish.....but rather, who caught the most fish to sell. Hence, in a purely population metric.....there are more people around Detroit than there is around Atlanta....which is my point. I am not trying to repudiate your point. All I am saying is by a different metric.....Atlanta falls short of Detroit. You keep arguing that there are seperate schools of fish and not one school.....which ONLY means something based upon the rules for counting MSA populations.....which I understand. Based upon THOSE RULES.....Detroit is not in Atlanta tier. However....based upon other rules, like radius population counts, Detroit is ahead of Atlanta.
No. your still not getting it every time you say commuting is the results of business instead of a city sprawling. Your misrepresenting the city growth and size. People commute because of sprawl. Again Mass density and total matter.

You basically saying even though Atlanta is bigger lets say it not. And Also... Again that's call density it been establish Detroit is denser no one is even arguing against that, but denser doesn't make it bigger. I been said Detroit is denser, but that's not a good enough answer, you want it be bigger which why this debating is carrying on. Detroit is not bigger, then it's generally behind Atlanta is most ranking in addition to populations also. You want Detroit to be called bigger or on Atlanta's level in population or importance and it's simply not. Again it's not top but it's ahead of Detroit.

Density is not a purely population metric because it doesn't count the total of something. The Atlanta school of fishes out grew the Detroit school of dishes. The Detroit fishes might have caught more in one net, but in total there is more Atlanta fishes be caught and sold.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 AM

151 posts, read 366,773 times
Atlanta is barely the 40th most populated city in the U.S. Everyone referring to its "metropolitan areas" is neglecting to mention the fact that metro Atlanta tries to lay claim to 5 states (tenn, sc, nc, alabama, ga), which is not a reflection of reality. It's wishful thinking to consider Atlanta as a top tier city, and it's just as false to reference a made-up metro area that encompasses almost the entire south. Atlanta is on the same level as a city like Omaha, Nebraska or Colorado Springs.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
Atlanta is barely the 40th most populated city in the U.S. Everyone referring to its "metropolitan areas" is neglecting to mention the fact that metro Atlanta tries to lay claim to 5 states (tenn, sc, nc, alabama, ga), which is not a reflection of reality. It's wishful thinking to consider Atlanta as a top tier city, and it's just as false to reference a made-up metro area that encompasses almost the entire south. Atlanta is on the same level as a city like Omaha, Nebraska or Colorado Springs.
Umm NO. Geography 101 is lost here. Atlanta has a small city limit compare to other sunbelt cities. Atlanta MSA ranks 9th in population. The map above was a group of metros not Atlanta by it self. Atlanta on the same level as Omaha, Nebraska or Colorado Springs. Now that's wish thinking.

5 states?

Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Man.....you cats down there are S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E. I think you guys have an inferiority complex that leads to overcompensation by overhyping the area. You are always trying to hype the area because of this insecurity about your stature relative to other areas. Its like the "small man complex" or something.
From the guy that believes Detroit is on Atlanta's level, is bigger and more important than Atlanta. When all stats and rankings are contracting that... Umm Sure. Everything from the US to the UN says Atlanta is bigger then Detroit. Then you cry over people not commuting back to your city that's because they are not your region. You say people commute to Atlanta because of the better economy "which is not the reason" then you turn around and say Atlanta economy is a fluff, delta and coke. So I guess Atlanta's bad model economy "in your words" attracts more people to commute as a better economy. Your theory is disproving and contradiction itself. Well which one is it? Does Detroit have a better or worse economy than Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta