Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why...oh why...do people continue to spew this mantra? Why is a mega-city limit and gov't entity somehow inherently better? Why would expanding the failing Atlanta Public Schools to say...Cobb County... in this new expanded city structure be better for me or my children?
Because is more organize, less competition with the metro, less spend trying run all these cities. More cross metro planing with transit and etc.

LOL Ok well just let Cobb run the schools in Atlanta, does it matter? you miss the point.

Quote:
If you look at many other cities, Boston being a perfect example that I'm familiar with, the "main" city is a small geographic area, and many smaller cities and towns surround the main city. The smaller cities have their own gov't, including schools, police, fire, etc. Better local control and more granular gov't is not a bad thing. I am perplexed by the penchant that some of you exhibit for a monster City of Atlanta that encompasses all of the metro area. My guess is this is politically motivated, and that you want to suck the tax dollars out of the suburban areas to use for pet projects in the urban areas.
Atlanta is not Boston, Boston has a small metro area with better transit and etc. Generally Northeastern and Midwestern cities have small city limits. Again Sunbelt cities, actually the majority of sun belt cities generally have large city limits. Atlanta vs Boston really bad example to try to use.

Dallas 1,197,816 in 340.5
San Antonio 1,327,407 in 460.9
Jacksonville 821,784 in 747.0
Austin 790,390 in 297.9
Fort Worth 741,206 in 339.8
Charlotte 731,424 in 297.7
Memphis 646,889 in 315.1
Nashville 601,222 in 475.1
Louisville 597,337 in 325.2
Oklahoma City 579,999 in 606.4

Atlanta Should be at least be the size of Charlotte, Then Suburbs should also have larger areas.

Quote:
There is a reason all of the north Fulton, some of South Fulton, and Dunwoody opted to form new cities within the last 6 years. Many of you seem blind to those issues and turn a deaf ear in your quest for a mega-city gov't entity.
And it's funny that Atlanta is better then those cities with money in which is one of the suppose main reason for incorporation. Lets be real they want to separate the Republican area from the more democrat areas. That was completely political and has no point politics for the sake of politics. Balkanization is a problem in metro Atlanta. Houston and Dallas region is just as balance with liberal and conservative and they don't have half the Balkanization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
I think you overestimate Atlanta's influence. I probably underestimate it, since it has little impact on my own life. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But I think your view of suburbs, at least as stated above, is not as accurate as it could be.
Your correct. I never visit the suburbs, so this is based on what little I have seen and what I've heard from co-workers. When I was thinking of attractions, it would be those that attract out-of-towners. I know Six Flags and Stone Mountain, but doubt many tourist visit Kennesaw Mountain and the Chattahoochee Rec. Area. It is a shame that more don't because they are beautiful areas.
Quote:
You should visit one sometime
Thanks for the invite and if there is something out there I will travel, but most of the time everything I need or want to do is in proximity to MARTA.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Thanks for the invite and if there is something out there I will travel, but most of the time everything I need or want to do is in proximity to MARTA.
MARTA goes to the Cumberland Mall, which itself isn't that exciting, but that would let you link up with CCT. Not sure where it goes, but it might be worth doing as a weekend tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta