U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 18,681 times

Advertisements

I am recently divorced, no kids.. two big dogs. I am looking to relocated near my brother who lives in Marietta. I would prefer a smallish town atmosphere that is dog friendly. I don't need a huge home but would like some property if possible.

any ideas.?

Jessie
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 09:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 31,712,765 times
You didn't list any kind of budget. Metro home prices can range from $110,000 for a cheaper townhouse type of thing in the burbs to hundreds of thousands closer to town. You also did not mention how close is "close" in terms of just how near your brother you want to live.

I live in Powder Springs. It's 10 miles SW of Marietta Square. If you see any previous posts I've done, I've mentioned a rising crime issue here in the area, and like most places within 35 miles of Atlanta or less, it's experiencing certain types of rapid growth due to being so close to the city. That being said, even with the problems that are growing in the area, it's far from being the worst, and home prices in this area are relatively cheap compared to many other metro areas (though they're rising). I even have a neighbor that's selling an all brick ranch 3BR 2BA on nearly 3/4 of an acre for around $135,000 - the same house would cost you nearly twice as much in Marietta or Smyrna, and 3-4 times as much with that much land in Atlanta proper.

A bit further out is Hiram and Dallas where you can still get land, but traffic is increasing. Going north of Marietta is Kennesaw (bad traffic) and Acworth (more traffic but some bits of land still around).

As far as "dog friendly", that's relative. I mean, in my neighborhood there are several people with dogs. I have three large dogs, myself. However, I keep mind indoors at night and when I'm not at home so they don't bark and disrupt the neighborhood. There have been a few people off and on through the years who have moved into my neighborhood who left their dogs out 24/7 and allowed them to bark a lot or late at night, and the people here won't hesitate to call the cops on you for that. Also people get quite freaked out here if someone moves in with a Pit Bull or otherwise "aggressive" tagged dog. Likewise in most other areas around here. So I'd say a lot of people here own and like dogs - and have no problems so long as you're respectful of others with yours.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Cool small town near marietta

My budget will go from $150,000-$200,000 and by dog friendly I meant towns that let the dogs walk through town, maybe eat at outside cafe*like south florida*...I want a house though, no town homes and preferably NOT a subdivision. I don't want to move anywhere with a high crime statistic, i could stay here for that
I have a close friend in Kennesaw and she hates the traffic. I don't wanna be too far from my brother in Marietta,up to 30 minutes I guess.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 31,712,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSIE54 View Post
My budget will go from $150,000-$200,000 and by dog friendly I meant towns that let the dogs walk through town, maybe eat at outside cafe*like south florida*...I want a house though, no town homes and preferably NOT a subdivision. I don't want to move anywhere with a high crime statistic, i could stay here for that
I have a close friend in Kennesaw and she hates the traffic. I don't wanna be too far from my brother in Marietta,up to 30 minutes I guess.
----------------------------------

Well, you have two choices... some neighborhoods intown like Virginia Highlands are very "walkable". They have restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating that allows dogs in the outdoor area, and it's near Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park) where tons of people take their dogs. So you gain many of the things you want, but crime is higher intown and you'll have to cough up more than $200,000 for a home around there unless you find a really good bargain on a small house or something.

Option two is near Marietta Square. The town square in Marietta is surrounded by restaurants (some with outdoor eating areas - dogs allowed), antique shops, etc. A small park (no pooping on the grass) is in the center of it. Actually a very nice area. Now, the area SURROUNDING the square is hit and miss; some nearby neighborhoods are still nice but expensive. Others just south of the square are now called, "Little Mexico" as it's almost entirely more run-down kind of businesses where you see immigrant labor hanging out in the mornings looking for work, etc. So you'd have to be very careful when buying around the square.

Other than that, and I may be missing something, there are not any more real town square/cafe type neighborhoods unless you travel much further east (Decatur - crime) and MUCH further north (Dahlonega - very north).

Old 09-17-2006, 04:52 PM

my brother lives in east cobb and mentioned marietta square.. i guess i have to get myself up there to look. i really don't wanna live in a subdivision, i am looking for a little space n privacy......

Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM

321 posts, read 1,480,947 times
Definitely look around Marietta Square. You need to go to Hemingway's for eating outside with dog allowed, and there's also this park called Lewis Park (former softball field) that has been turned into a dog park. Folks at these places can give you a better idea.

I live in Kennesaw and it's OK, but yes, the traffic is horrible. However, you could look in the little downtown area and possibly find an older home in a walkable neighborhood. I think the only place down there that has sidewalk-type of eating is the Trackside Grill, but it's very, very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta