Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,743 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Atlanta at the end of May. My husband will be working off of Fulton Industrial Blvd, which I think is in SW Atlanta. We are a young family with a 2 year old. Where would you suggest we live?

Our budget for rent is $950-$1000/month. We would rent an apartment/townhome/home for 6 months-year while we learn the area. Our most important issues are safety and a reasonable commute(30 min.) to my husband's job since we are a 1 car family. We are white and white-hispanic(from Spain) and looking for a family friendly diverse and progressive area close to things to do with our growing family. We are originally from Raleigh. We would use public schools eventually so a great school district will eventually be important. I will stay home so safe parks and things to do would be great. Eventually, we would be looking for a family community with amenities.

Any suggestions as to what area to rent in would be appreciated.

Thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
$1,000 per month for a townhome in a GREAT school district is going to be tight. Note that for a 6 month lease you will also pay more compared to a 1 or 2 year lease. You can find GOOD not necessarily great schools.

I would look in Mableton, Powder Springs and Smyrna

Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Smyrna would be fine temporarily for 6 months while you learn the area. Most likely, you're going to learn that you don't want your child in public school there, but that's 3 years away and a non-issue if you are renting and mobile.

If you want good schools, you're going to end up in East Cobb or North Fulton and your husband is just going to have to suck it up and have a terrible commute.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Smyrna would be fine temporarily for 6 months while you learn the area. Most likely, you're going to learn that you don't want your child in public school there, but that's 3 years away and a non-issue if you are renting and mobile.

If you want good schools, you're going to end up in East Cobb or North Fulton and your husband is just going to have to suck it up and have a terrible commute.
Smyrna is not bad at all and the ride is very short to Fulton Industrial. I stay right outside city limits (very close to Mableton) and the drive to Fulton is down one street (Floyd Road - which turns into Mableton Parkway). You can also check out Mableton and Lithia Springs. With those areas he wouldn't have to touch the interstate at all to go to work.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

And where exactly are you going to live in east cobb or North Fulton with that budget without having to eat top ramen for dinner everyday? Smyrna would be the perfect location for what they're looking to spend. And since when are Smyrna schools terrible anyways? Everyone obviously can't afford North Fulton or east Cobb otherwise everyone would live there.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
I think renting is a good idea for a new comer especially being new around here. After living in the area, you get to know the area better for where you want to buy down the road. As already mentioned, Smyrna would be a great place to start renting, not sure about your commute time though. If you drive around while you visit, you get a better feel for what you prefer. For the South Side, I would also look in some areas of South Fulton like Palmetto or a bit out more in Fayette County, just depends on how far out. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I think renting is a good idea for a new comer especially being new around here. After living in the area, you get to know the area better for where you want to buy down the road. As already mentioned, Smyrna would be a great place to start renting, not sure about your commute time though. If you drive around while you visit, you get a better feel for what you prefer. For the South Side, I would also look in some areas of South Fulton like Palmetto or a bit out more in Fayette County, just depends on how far out. Good luck.
Commute from Smyrna to Fulton Industrial is pretty easy. Take S. Cobb all the way down to Bolton, right on Bolton and keep straight it turns right into Fulton Industrial. Probably 10 minutes tops depending on where in Smyrna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta