Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM

26 posts, read 52,912 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Duluth. We're currently living in central NJ and he commutes to NYC by train. We also have lived in Balt/DC area. I think we're ready for a change, but I'm wondering how Atlanta, specifically the Johns Creek and nearby towns differ culturally from NJ and MD. Hoping someone who's lived in both places could help.

For example, I'd be interested to know about generally, how friendly people are, safety, if there's any big differences in schools, are people more active in their churches--also, really anything that is culturally different that somewhere from this area may not even consider.

I know this is all subjective, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

A little about us... We have 3 children (6, 4,4 months). Our oldest attends Catholic school. We'd consider Catholic School, homeschooling, possibly public school. We're middle class, looking for a home in the $300,000 range. Just wanting a simpler life, wholesome experiences for our kids, friends who care about their faith, with not so much rushing around, competitiveness, long commutes (1.5-2hrs) etc.

I'm very grateful for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Johns Creek will be a nice fit - I am not familiar with the Catholic schools in the area, on average you will see a much bigger Protestant population

300,000 will be on the low end of what is available in that area.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Just so you know, the commute from John's Creek to Atlanta is likely to be 1.5 hours each way during rush hour. It doesn't look that far on the map, but traffic here is insane.

As lorilove mentioned, $300k will be on the low end for John's Creek, especially if you're looking for 4 bedrooms or more. You might also take a look at Duluth, Suwanee, South Fulton County, Lawrenceville, or Kennesaw, which are all a bit more affordable. You could do really well in Cherokee County for that price, and it's a beautiful area, but it's a bit further away from the city.

I haven't lived in NJ or MD, but I have lived in NY, MA and CT. In general, I believe people truly are warmer and friendlier here. The South has earned its reputation for politeness, which can be a good thing. Children here are taught to say "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir" as a matter of course, which took me by surprise at first, but now I appreciate it. However, that Southern politeness can also be backhanded -- "bless her heart" can be a pretty evil thing to say about someone, depending on how it's used. And words I'd never considered even remotely naughty are definitely considered "cusswords" here, so that took a bit of an adjustment after living in Boston. Politically, I've found more conservative, fundamentalist christian views here, especially as you get further from the city.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Johns Creek is an affluent suburban area with a population of a lot of corporate transplants. The most significant difference you will see is the "lifestyle communities" which have a swim/tennis club and restrictive covenants where the homeowner's association is empowered to essentially force everyone to maintain their yard and house. I dout you saw a lot of that in NJ and MD.

Another striking difference that Johns Creek has is a large wealthy Asian population which is considerably better off than the older Asian area along Buford Highway. Also, in the Atlanta area, everything is pretty much generic anywhere USA as you will see mostly strip malls with national chains and plenty of chain restaurants. If you're looking for the Greek and Italian diners like you have in Jersey, then Waffle House will have to do!

In New Jersey, people may self identify as Italian, or Irish, down in the south, you will be characterized as white, black, asian or hispanic. There aren't any historically Italian or Irish Catholic churches.

Overall, the cost of living from housing on to groceries and gas will be cheaper than what you have been paying in the Norheast. GA's income tax is 5%, so you should have more disposable income than what you now have. However, if you are looking to recreate the NJ culture, with its ethnicity and liberal politics, you will be disappointed.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
We moved to Cherokee County from Woodbridge, NJ four years ago, and we love it. I wouldn't advise living in Cherokee if your working in Duluth, unless you're not traveling during rush hour. Johns Creek would be a good choice if you can find a house that works for you in your price range (you'll easily get 2-3x the house you currently have if you're leaving a $300k house behind).

We've found the people here to be very friendly, and many of them are from somewhere other than Atlanta originally, so there's not the disdain of "yankees" that you may find in rural parts of the South. There are plenty of people who are very involved in their churches, and many who aren't as well, so you're likely to find the type of folks you're looking for in no time.

Regarding "wholesomeness, less rushing around, less competitiveness, etc", you're not moving to Mayberry, so I don't know who "wholesome" you'll find the area if that's what you're looking for. The pace here is generally a bit slower than the northeast, but again, you're not in rural GA, so it's not quite as slow as some would like to make it sound. There are plenty of people who still run around like idiots, enrolling their kids in every sport and activity possible, just like you're likely to be seeing in NJ.

Let me know if you've got any further questions or want more specifics. I could probably provide more detail if I knew exactly where in central NJ you currently are, what kind of home you have, what you're expecting to get for $300k, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We moved to Cherokee County from Woodbridge, NJ four years ago, and we love it. I wouldn't advise living in Cherokee if your working in Duluth, unless you're not traveling during rush hour. Johns Creek would be a good choice if you can find a house that works for you in your price range (you'll easily get 2-3x the house you currently have if you're leaving a $300k house behind).

We've found the people here to be very friendly, and many of them are from somewhere other than Atlanta originally, so there's not the disdain of "yankees" that you may find in rural parts of the South. There are plenty of people who are very involved in their churches, and many who aren't as well, so you're likely to find the type of folks you're looking for in no time.

Regarding "wholesomeness, less rushing around, less competitiveness, etc", you're not moving to Mayberry, so I don't know who "wholesome" you'll find the area if that's what you're looking for. The pace here is generally a bit slower than the northeast, but again, you're not in rural GA, so it's not quite as slow as some would like to make it sound. There are plenty of people who still run around like idiots, enrolling their kids in every sport and activity possible, just like you're likely to be seeing in NJ.

Let me know if you've got any further questions or want more specifics. I could probably provide more detail if I knew exactly where in central NJ you currently are, what kind of home you have, what you're expecting to get for $300k, etc.
Jersey Girl here...I pretty much wholeheartedly agree with Bob. One thing I might add is that in general to me this area seems less crowded, has wider streets, newer, nicer grocery stores (I'm from Northern NJ so your experience might be different). I had to laugh when we were shopping for a home and a realtor referred to a 20 year old house as older. My NJ house was built in 1924. Also there are some excellent public schools here despite popular NJ belief. The Catholic Church here we attend is very laid back...we actually have a great contemporary band with a bit of a Southern flair...definitely different. I like it. There are though plenty of traditional Catholic churches around. There is a strong growing population of Catholics here.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:33 PM

230 posts, read 492,873 times
I second what lorilove said. Johns Creeks seems like a good fit; safe, good schools, and right next to Duluth. Just had a quick look on zillow and there seems to be plenty of 4 & 5 bedroom houses for under $300,000. Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 PM

262 posts, read 790,054 times
You should be more than fine with a 300K budget in Johns Creek. It is a very reasonable choice for some one working in Duluth.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Jersey Girl here...I pretty much wholeheartedly agree with Bob. One thing I might add is that in general to me this area seems less crowded, has wider streets, newer, nicer grocery stores (I'm from Northern NJ so your experience might be different). I had to laugh when we were shopping for a home and a realtor referred to a 20 year old house as older. My NJ house was built in 1924. Also there are some excellent public schools here despite popular NJ belief. The Catholic Church here we attend is very laid back...we actually have a great contemporary band with a bit of a Southern flair...definitely different. I like it. There are though plenty of traditional Catholic churches around. There is a strong growing population of Catholics here.
Yeah, the burbs are definitely much newer than what we were used to also. It's nice not having to keep fixing stuff around the house, dealing with drafty old windows and $500 heating bills, and seeing ratty old curbs, sidewalks and potholed roads.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby3804 View Post
For example, I'd be interested to know about generally, how friendly people are, safety, if there's any big differences in schools, are people more active in their churches--also, really anything that is culturally different that somewhere from this area may not even consider.
For some great insight into the corporate transplant culture of Johns Creek,check out the book,Next Stop, Reloville by Peter Kilborn. Life in the Medlock Bridge subdivison is profiled in the first chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
You should be more than fine with a 300K budget in Johns Creek. It is a very reasonable choice for some one working in Duluth.
Johns Creek is a reasonable choice if it is Duluth 30097. If it is the part of Duluth near the 85 freeway/Steve Reynolds the traffic going down Pleasant Hill is horrid. Several places along the I-85 corridor would be better,especially Suwanee or Buford.

Last edited by capoeira; 03-15-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta