Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I'll give you the Polio vaccine . . . but small cell phones and funny dome houses are hardly the "world changing inventions" you were demanding out of Georgia Tech grads.
Cell phones are ubiquitous and have changed our lives. The Fractal Antenna was innovative.

Funny dome houses? They don't award Nobels in chemistry for funny domed houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Cell phones are ubiquitous and have changed our lives. The Fractal Antenna was innovative.

Funny dome houses? They don't award Nobels in chemistry for funny domed houses.
Technology moves forward more from several small incremental advances than from major break thrus. GTech has nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to research prowess. If there's any short coming they have to deal with in comparison to more successful research schools is they have much smaller endowments to work with than the big boys like MIT and Stanford or even the research triangle schools in NC.

Successful research schools and technology companies tend to work hand in hand. That's why I don't think it will hurt but possibly help for UGA to grow a successful engineering program. Together the two may help foster more industry including tech industry in Georgia and those companies in turn will contribute to the schools endowments increasing research capabilities for a mutually beneficial relationship.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Successful research schools and technology companies tend to work hand in hand. That's why I don't think it will hurt but possibly help for UGA to grow a successful engineering program. .
UGA's engineering program is nothing but a money-grab by the universtiy. If you want to build a better base of engineer's in the state, why not promote growth at the places who are already very, very good at it. They got everything approved by only offering BS degrees so as not to step on GT's toes. Took them all of about 9 months to announce they'd be adding MS programs as well. Bet that wasn't a calculated move.

I'd wager the Board of Regents (most of whom hold UGA degrees) would be a lot less likely to allow GT to start offering Pharmancy or Law programs, even if there was a demonstrated need.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
UGA's engineering program is nothing but a money-grab by the universtiy. If you want to build a better base of engineer's in the state, why not promote growth at the places who are already very, very good at it. They got everything approved by only offering BS degrees so as not to step on GT's toes. Took them all of about 9 months to announce they'd be adding MS programs as well. Bet that wasn't a calculated move.

I'd wager the Board of Regents (most of whom hold UGA degrees) would be a lot less likely to allow GT to start offering Pharmancy or Law programs, even if there was a demonstrated need.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a state the size of Georgia trying to have two successful four year Engineering programs. Ohio is only about 10% larger than Georgia in population and they have four year engineering programs at Ohio State, Case Western Reserve, University of Cinncinnati, University of Toledo, University of Dayton, and University of Akron that I know of. Ohio also has way more Engineers, way more Industry and a median Household income $1000 more as of 2000. I think this is all related.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a state the size of Georgia trying to have two successful four year Engineering programs. Ohio is only about 10% larger than Georgia in population and they have four year engineering programs at Ohio State, Case Western Reserve, University of Cinncinnati, University of Toledo, University of Dayton, and University of Akron that I know of. Ohio also has way more Engineers, way more Industry and a median Household income $1000 more as of 2000. I think this is all related.
There is already more than one 4-year enginerring school in GA. Georgia Southern already has an engineering school, as does Mercer (you included Private schools, so I will also). GSU, in my opinion, has more reason to be miffed than GT. The stated target audience of the UGA program is people who might not be admitted at GT, which is something GSU already does very well. The universtiy system is so cash strapped at the moment it just makes next-to-no-sense to build additional facalities and infrastructure to duplicate existing programs. But, they will just tack on another "special fee" and pass it on to all the students.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Technology moves forward more from several small incremental advances than from major break thrus. GTech has nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to research prowess. If there's any short coming they have to deal with in comparison to more successful research schools is they have much smaller endowments to work with than the big boys like MIT and Stanford or even the research triangle schools in NC.

Successful research schools and technology companies tend to work hand in hand. That's why I don't think it will hurt but possibly help for UGA to grow a successful engineering program. Together the two may help foster more industry including tech industry in Georgia and those companies in turn will contribute to the schools endowments increasing research capabilities for a mutually beneficial relationship.
Clearly there are small advances made. I was just questioning if Georgia Tech had any major breakthroughs. Stuff worthy of a Nobel or radically changing the world. If Kary Mullis had invented his PCR at Georgia Tech, that would qualify. Endowments help but even Boston University's is about that of Georgia Tech's. For Nathan Cohen, it was more inspiration than money that led to the fractal antenna.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
And none of those are as good as GT in engineering. That is related too.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
There is already more than one 4-year enginerring school in GA. Georgia Southern already has an engineering school, as does Mercer (you included Private schools, so I will also). GSU, in my opinion, has more reason to be miffed than GT. The stated target audience of the UGA program is people who might not be admitted at GT, which is something GSU already does very well. The universtiy system is so cash strapped at the moment it just makes next-to-no-sense to build additional facalities and infrastructure to duplicate existing programs. But, they will just tack on another "special fee" and pass it on to all the students.
Actually, if the state wants another engineering program, Southern Poly has better programs and facilities than Georgia Southern.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I'm with you on this one.

We've already had our fill of Universities trying go outside of their traditional missions and the result was duplicate efforts all over the map. Also, Georgia Perimeter College went all gung-ho with its expanding efforts, and as a result almost its balance sheet was all out of whack. Nearly 300 GPC employees were laid off when the dust settled. Whose to say that the same isn't happening with other Public Universities trying to scope creep?

Hmm, I also distinctly remember a thread having been started a while back which touched on the Georgia BOR trying to figure out which Colleges and Universities could stand to be merged and downsized to save money. And yet at the same the BOR is encouraging *some* Universities to expand into other territory to their heart's content...which would be okay if it weren't so...g-d d--n political to involve some of the members' shared alma maters.

Why does Southern politics have to be so darn gooberish? Stuff like this just goes to the heart of why people outside of the south don't take this region very seriously.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I'm with you on this one.

We've already had our fill of Universities trying go outside of their traditional missions and the result was duplicate efforts all over the map. Also, Georgia Perimeter College went all gung-ho with its expanding efforts, and as a result almost its balance sheet was all out of whack. Nearly 300 GPC employees were laid off when the dust settled. Whose to say that the same isn't happening with other Public Universities trying to scope creep?

Hmm, I also distinctly remember a thread having been started a while back which touched on the Georgia BOR trying to figure out which Colleges and Universities could stand to be merged and downsized to save money. And yet at the same the BOR is encouraging *some* Universities to expand into other territory to their heart's content...which would be okay if it weren't so...g-d d--n political to involve some of the members' shared alma maters.

Why does Southern politics have to be so darn gooberish? Stuff like this just goes to the heart of why people outside of the south don't take this region very seriously.
The politics is mostly UGA. It only lacks engineering and medicine and it's now on track for both. And if Tech and Emory are any indication, those two areas are BIG research money generators.

Georgia Southern was only added so as to make it not look like it's all about UGA. Don't expect much from Georgia Southern in engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta