Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
speak for yourself. i and many others in north fulton want the marta rail line that we already pay for in sales tax... if you'd attended the 400 corridor meeting you'd see my opinion was the consensus among everyone there.
And that's a very good example why I would be much more comfortable with a system run, or at least contracted out and overseen, by Gwinnett county.

Why would I want to deal with an agency that won't listen to the people who fund it? Residents of North Fulton have a right to be pissed about not receiving a service that they pay for, and probably pay more for than most residents given all the retail up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Too funny.....I can almost hear the musical score from "Shaft" playing in the background.............but seriously, what do you think might be the cause of the folks in Cobb and Gwinnett traditionally not wanting Marta to expand into their areas?.......
Speaking personally, I don't want to see my money as a Cobb resident being spent on something I can't use.

Now, the once-proposed MARTA stub into Cumberland had promise as the base foundation for something more serious in Cobb in the future, and I was on the fence about that, but that project was dropped from TSPLOST for reasons I don't fully comprehend.

I'll probably vote for the TSPLOST just out of principle, but I honestly have no idea if my attitude is common in my area. It could be ... there are a LOT of new transplants in Cobb.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
I agree that Gwinnett's resistance to MARTA has faded considerably in recent years. For one, the county is becoming a lot more diverse, and people of color tend to be more likely to support mass transit than whites do. (I hate to inject race into this, but facts are facts.) That being said, there are no doubt some whites in Gwinnett who would appreciate having an additional commuting option into town.

As for Cobb, much of its resistance, as is typically the case in situations such as these, is fear-based. You still have some people worried about "that undesirable element" that MARTA would allegedly bring. More so in recent times, however, is the resistance to anything with a government label on it.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
And that's a very good example why I would be much more comfortable with a system run, or at least contracted out and overseen, by Gwinnett county.

Why would I want to deal with an agency that won't listen to the people who fund it? Residents of North Fulton have a right to be pissed about not receiving a service that they pay for, and probably pay more for than most residents given all the retail up there.
we do have the bus service and they are planning to build a rail line to windward parkway.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 AM

192 posts, read 385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Yeah, I can see where you are going with this.......the majority white populations in Cobb and Gwinnett see a Marta system coming into their neighborhoods as nothing more than a ghetto train bring crime into their lives....that's the perception....and perception is reality. We are all grown up here....just say what you mean....... These two counties, which were bastions of white, conservative demographics ten years ago are changing rapidly....particularly with the influx of Hispanics, so this "perception" may change. Atlanta gets more white and the old white 'burbs' get more ethnic...stayed tuned.....we may even see a white mayor again in Atlanta and Marta trains running to the Marietta Square.....
Wow...just....wow. As a white woman living in Cobb county, and have been for the last 18 years (as half of an interracial couple as well), I don't see any of that. What a way to paint an entire county with such a broad stroke.

I would personally have no personal gain from a MARTA rail into Marietta. I don't work downtown, and I generally don't play downtown. I work in Alpharetta, and my friends are scattered from Woodstock to north of Gainesville.

I don't personally know anyone who has the perception that you say we have. What a way to stereotype.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
why isn't Marta in Alpharetta then? That's Fulton! B/c they don't want it
That's why North Fulton is calling for 2 seats on the MARTA board because they want the Red Line extended north. The Cobb County representatives removed the NW line from the list, most likely pressure from those who do not want a rail line in Cobb?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
So everyone, why isn't Marta in Alpharetta then? That's Fulton! B/c they don't want it, so quit calling out Cobb/Gwinnett when you can't get an existing line extended!!!!!!
Years ago I asked a MARTA representative why the North line hadn't been extended to Alpharetta yet - his response... "We don't see a need for rail service in that area".

Yes - really. And he didn't live in Alpharetta, by the way. I know people in that area who have been begging MARTA for an extension to their area for two decades provided it's planned and done right. There is not mass resistance to it.

And a reminder that while yes, race has always been the invisible elephant regarding MARTA expansion in decades past, let's NOT turn this into a race-based topic and argument, or it will be closed. We also need to stop generalizing and labeling whole swaths of people in the city or burbs regarding their attitudes towards it.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
Wow...just....wow. As a white woman living in Cobb county, and have been for the last 18 years (as half of an interracial couple as well), I don't see any of that. What a way to paint an entire county with such a broad stroke.

I would personally have no personal gain from a MARTA rail into Marietta. I don't work downtown, and I generally don't play downtown. I work in Alpharetta, and my friends are scattered from Woodstock to north of Gainesville.

I don't personally know anyone who has the perception that you say we have. What a way to stereotype.
I don't have any benefits of my tax dollars going to welfare. I don't complain because I know someone else might need it. I never complained when the were doing construction on more roads. I don't drive.

For the record, I live, go to school, and work in Kennesaw. However, I have increasingly done more things in Marietta and Atlanta. There are more places I want to be in Marietta or Atlanta than in Kennesaw. One problem: Only two CCT routes go where I live. The rest go southbound. Why don't I live in Marietta? Well, it would take forever to get to my university from Marietta considering I don't have a car. In theory I could live in Marietta without a car. However, it isn't logistically sound. I should know because I have taken the CCT. It takes nearly an hour to get from KSU to Marietta. I want to see MARTA come into Cobb County because it would help for me to live my life. With the rail, I can get to places faster.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
... and people of color tend to be more likely to support mass transit than whites do. (I hate to inject race into this, but facts are facts.)
Fact, eh? Please support this fact with some evidence. It seems a lot more like opinion or anecdote to me.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Fact, eh? Please support this fact with some evidence. It seems a lot more like opinion or anecdote to me.
POC may be more likely to use it but that doesn't necessarily equate to voting to support it. They are two different things.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/trvpatns.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta