Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,069 times

Advertisements

If you only ever drove up East Ponce through Clarkston, yeah, not all that inviting. You need to go off into some side streets to find decent properties. I often jog down side streets off East Ponce just inside 285 and there are some nice, smaller houses that way. Seems quiet and worth looking into. We live in Scottdale and our 10-year-old subdivision has some great deals on homes being sold right now (and we're actually happy here!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
From what I understand there is some crime there and if you have children the schools are not good at all. You really don't want to live in Scottsdale either. Have you looked at Avonalde Estates closer to downtown Avondale and Decatur? Parts of Avondale is shady too and the schools there are also not good.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM

74 posts, read 185,643 times
We live in the area of Tucker just down the road from Clarkston. We have actually been taking our kids to Milam Park because it is a lot nicer than the parks in Tucker. However, the schools are not good and I think there is a bit more crime over there. It's true the shopping there is very limited. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The area off Ponce is pretty depressing, but it is true that there are nice neighborhoods if you go off Ponce around Milam Park.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM

164 posts, read 375,450 times
Default here is my scoop

Clarkston is not as cool as Decatur or Avondale Estates, but not a total ghetto as it seems to get the further south you go. Be careful about recommending Scottdale. The area near Tobie Grant Park looks like a giant low-income housing project.

Milan Park is actually nice and recently remodeled. They have a great pool, playground, dog park, and walking trails. However that is about the only nice thing in Clarkston worth visiting. There is a smaller park called Friendship Park on E Ponce, but it needs some TLC.

The biggest asset for Clarkston is the Stone Mountain Bike trail that goes through the city from Decatur to Stone Mountain. With the right vision, Clarkston could be similar to downtown Tucker or downtown Norcross, that have a historic downtown with a railroad going right through it. However, there really is no central downtown in Clarkston with decent shops and restaurants like Tucker or Norcross. I have to believe that bikers simply pass through Clarkston on their way to Decatur, Avondale Estates, or Stone Mountain for a quick meal.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
Be careful about recommending Scottdale. The area near Tobie Grant Park looks like a giant low-income housing project.
Okay, gotta comment on this! There are some rough areas around here. I'm not sure that housing project is, though. I've lived here 10 years and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Of course, it all depends on what you want when you move somewhere. Our subdivision (Lantern Ridge) is just inside 285 and very close to Tobie Grant. Know what that got us? A fantastic deal on a new home 10 years ago and I hardly ever regret moving here. I wouldn't mind a nicer place to jog, but I can go right outside 285 (Dial Heights) and I'm okay. Inside our sub is quite nice and the only crime has been a few breakins here and there. That happens all over the city... happened to me twice in Buckhead. Would I like to pick up my house and move it two miles closer to Decatur? Sure. Would I like to spend double to do that? No way. We'll just drive three miles down the road when we want to do downtown Decatur. It's also not a terrible commute downtown to work. Bonus for us: our children will get to go to school at The Museum School charter (one already there).

I did have fears about moving here in 2002. The noise from 285 was a concern as well as crime. So far it just hasn't been an issue (knock on wood!).

Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Low rating per Creative Loafing. 41.75. I guess that's out of 100. The crime stats are high. Of course, it's mostly property crime. Much worse than Chamblee, which scored 60.

Its much more woarse than that u jus dont know what gang rule CLarkston

Old 11-12-2014, 03:15 AM

Not sure why this was bumped after so long, but since it was and Tobie Grant was mentioned, they started tearing down that housing project just this week. Mixed housing is going in that large area of land and it looks like it might end up being quite nice.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
There is a new Family Dollar there now, but it looks like the area (Ga Per college area going north) is slightly improving for the people that live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta