Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM

175 posts, read 235,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It took me longer to make sense of this mess than it takes me to drive to work.
No Need to Exaggaerate buddy...

Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
It took me longer to make sense of this mess than it takes me to drive to work.
Just wait till Friday. Hawks game and NCAA tournament in town. You'll be wishing you had MARTA to take you home.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just wait till Friday. Hawks game and NCAA tournament in town. You'll be wishing you had MARTA to take you home.
In spite of apparent ITP assumptions to the contrary, traffic issues downtown don't really impact most of us.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
In spite of apparent ITP assumptions to the contrary, traffic issues downtown don't really impact most of us.
Please elaborate.

Before I get into assumptions, I think it is a selfish way to think. I'm not pointing fingers at you, by any means. I believe that people living in the metro area should be less about their "corner" in metro Atlanta, and embrace how to improve the entire Metro as a whole. Why should someone in Kennessaw (or any suburb) not care about improving traffic/transport issues in the city of Atlanta? It may not affect them on a daily basis, but on their way to the airport, or maybe having to pay a fine/or court day in Atlanta someday will affect them. Or maybe someday, their kid will go to GSU and won't want to drive everyday .

For such beautiful city, I don't understand the level of selfishness of many people. If there's anything that annoys me about Atlanta, it's the OTP/ITP nonsense.

It's like someone from Queens, NY not giving a hoot about improvements in Manhattan, because they don't live there, or go there everyday. Sooner or later, it'll affect you. Whether or not you live in ITP/OTP.

This OTP/ITP nonsense is the exact reason why transit issues will never be resolved in this area. SAD. No one is expecting Atlanta to be NYC or Chicago, but if you want to play like the big boys, take a few lessons from them first.

Again, nothing against anyone in particular. This is not an anti-Atlanta post. I love this place, but some things could improve. This is one of them.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Please elaborate.

Before I get into assumptions, I think it is a selfish way to think. I'm not pointing fingers at you, by any means. I believe that people living in the metro area should be less about their "corner" in metro Atlanta, and embrace how to improve the entire Metro as a whole. Why should someone in Kennessaw (or any suburb) not care about improving traffic/transport issues in the city of Atlanta? It may not affect them on a daily basis, but on their way to the airport, or maybe having to pay a fine/or court day in Atlanta someday will affect them. Or maybe someday, their kid will go to GSU and won't want to drive everyday .

For such beautiful city, I don't understand the level of selfishness of many people. If there's anything that annoys me about Atlanta, it's the OTP/ITP nonsense.

It's like someone from Queens, NY not giving a hoot about improvements in Manhattan, because they don't live there, or go there everyday. Sooner or later, it'll affect you. Whether or not you live in ITP/OTP.

This OTP/ITP nonsense is the exact reason why transit issues will never be resolved in this area. SAD. No one is expecting Atlanta to be NYC or Chicago, but if you want to play like the big boys, take a few lessons from them first.

Again, nothing against anyone in particular. This is not an anti-Atlanta post. I love this place, but some things could improve. This is one of them.
Amen.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Like most cities Atlanta will be more connected via train in the future then the suburbs and those that rate traffic as the biggest issue don't live in Atlanta anyways, they live in the suburbs, thus the traffic issues. Rarely do I meet someone who lives in the city complain about the traffic. Commuter train would be great but I am excited Atlanta is planning and thinking ahead with projects like this and the Beltline, makes it a better place to live every year with new parks opening, rail etc.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Please elaborate.
We've seen numbers posted here before with regard to commuting patterns in the Atlanta metro, which is multi-nodal in nature.

Downtown is only one of three or four major job centers, and most of the folks who live OTP also work OTP. Nothing ITP vs. OTP about it at all ... it's simple statistics.

My comment was directed at the assumption that an event or two downtown would impact everyone's commute. It won't because most folks OTP won't be commuting downtown. But don't read some general deeper meaning into it, at least from me. As a general rule, I'm very much pro regional transit. I'm just correcting a silly assumption we see a lot in the Atlanta forum.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM

369 posts, read 657,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
So ATL Managed to get this Streetcar project off the Ground...By Picking Someone to design and build the Vehicles...Im for this project...BUT I Think for a
Pricetag of 47 Million bucks it wont DO A DAMN THING for overall congestion...its like a tourist line for Downtown....If ATL Put this Kind of energy into its COMUTTER RAIL startup then maybe we couldve actually had a Line or two Running by now...I Think Atlanta shouldve been puttin 100 PERCENT Into Commuter Rail...ITS TIME TO CUT THE BULLSHYT ALREADY!!! What good is a 2.6 mile streetcar going to do for the Hellified Traffic coming from ALL DIRECTIONS (I20-75-85-400)???? ABSOULUTELY NOTHING! Its like Damn Already how much longer do we have to suffer?? They say this "Is the beginning of regionwide transportation"...When in 2050???...I know theres all kind of BS Politics with the freight railroads and watever but We need to Focus on the Commuter Rail Implementation...I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!
It will certainly make those areas be perceived as safer and spur development.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Please elaborate.

Well-said. Our local politicians seem to have no idea why they're failing at this Prisoner's Dilemma.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Then why is it every time there is a game or event downtown the top-end perimeter, GA 400, and I-85 looks like a parking lot? We live in a metropolitan area, everything is connected. What happens in the City of Atlanta effects those in Kennesaw or Duluth. The BeltLine is a very forward thinking project and will define future development. I'm not saying that all development will happen around the BeltLine, but I hope it changes this leapfrog development of the 90's and 2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta