Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times

Advertisements

Left out how City/County/State vehicles are exempt which I find very entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
But what's worse are the pointless, waste-of-time-and-money emissiions inspections.
Sorry...gotta disagree with this one. Ensuring that pollution controls aren't being removed from vehicles and they aren't spewing too many pollutants into the air is one easy way we can reduce smog and other pollution. Why do you think it's "pointless" or a "waste of time?" Do you feel the test isn't a valid one or just that we shouldn't test for emissions?

I would actually take it a step further and institute a full annual or biannual safety inspection. Getting the klunker and junker vehicles off the road is important. When I contrast the cars running around on the roads here with those in states with inspections, it's frightening. Things like bald tires, bad brakes, cracked or missing glass, and pieces hanging off the vehicle are unsafe. If the cops won't do their job and enforce the law with regard to equipment, then an inspection is the next best way.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
It's pointless on modern cars because for at least the past 10 years, every vehicle sold in this country adheres to California emission standards anyway.

Quote:
Ensuring that pollution controls aren't being removed from vehicles
This may be a valid concern, but would anybody have a reason to do this? What would be the motivation? Is there any benefit to removing the pollution controls?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's pointless on modern cars because for at least the past 10 years, every vehicle sold in this country adheres to California emission standards anyway.
I don't believe that's correct, but even if I grant it for the purpose of conversation, the goal is to make sure that older vehicles and even newer ones haven't been altered or had catalytic converters removed.

EDIT...I knew we had CA emissions in Massachusetts (my 2007 purchased in MA has CA emissions), but they are not mandatory in GA. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...sion_standards

"The EPA has adopted the California emissions standards as a national standard by the 2016 model year [4] and is collaborating with California regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025."

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
If your cars are already registered, what monies will replace the ad valorum taxes? When we lived in the northeast, we didn't have ad valorum, we paid yearly registration fees , which were considerably less.

I question what will replace the shortfall.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If your cars are already registered, what monies will replace the ad valorum taxes? When we lived in the northeast, we didn't have ad valorum, we paid yearly registration fees , which were considerably less.

I question what will replace the shortfall.
We actually had a more expensive version of the ad valorem in MA called an "excise tax" which was the same thing....a value based tax charged annually.

Here in GA if this thing goes through, you will only pay the one time title tax, and they are proposing adding the Internet tax and other consumption based taxes.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
So, if the cars are fully owned, and we hold the titles, will we pay anything at this point?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So, if the cars are fully owned, and we hold the titles, will we pay anything at this point?
My car was paid off back in 1999, which is well before we even moved down here, and yet I owe Ad Valorem tax on the vehicle every year. It ain't very much.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
I understand that some vehicles may need it, but can't we just go ahead and say that unless your vehicle is more than 10 years old, don't worry about it?
Actually, they do just the opposite- anything over 25 years old doesn't require an emissions test, and you'd think some of those vehicles are the ones spewing the most stuff. I'd think a late-70's to mid-80's car that hasn't been properly maintained and is huffing smoke as it runs down the road is belching far more pollutants into the air than anything built in 2000+, but they're exempt. I see plenty of old junkers running around that not only need an emissions test, but a safety inspection as well- they're death traps.

Now, my '69 Camaro should still be exempt

Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
Quote:
Right, that tax already exists and has always existed, so there would be no need to make a new provision for it.

Remember when Dell briefly had retail stores in Georgia? If you bought a PC from Dell during that time, you had to pay sales tax on it. Now that they are closed, it's back to not paying tax. I imagine if you live in Texas, then you do have to pay sales tax on a Dell.
Most of the states require collection of sales tax by companies that have a physical presence in a state, and the taxes are collected only on residents of that state. The reason you would see companies like Barnes and Noble and Dell collect sales tax, even online, was because they had a physical location within the state, vs. Amazon who didn't collect tax, because they don't have a physical location. What states are quickly realizing is that they are losing the tax revenue from out-of-state sales by businesses within that state, and by non-physical location sales. This is the area we are seeing attempted laws passed. The problem is, it will put a huge burden on a state's own small business that sell online. 1) if they have to charge out-of-state residents sales tax, they potentially lose a lot of sales 2)if they are required to pay tax to every state that passes laws collecting online sales tax, it becomes an expensive accounting nightmare 3)if we get into a situation where two states have competing laws, who is going to want to pay sales tax to two states(home state and state of origin for product).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta