Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times

Advertisements

Think about this, Augusta has always had a great work force, its location in the south along the Savannah River and its proximity to the port along with the quality of land the park is situated on all equals success, nothing against Atlanta or Savannah but all these factors spell present and future growth. For all the crap the state gives Augusta, the increase in job growth should be praised not questioned. You don't hear any complaining from South Carolina about Augusta and it's not even in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
I think you're dissing Savannah. So their workforce isn't as good?

South Carolina probably expects some of its citizens to get jobs there.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
A touch of hyperbole on my part. They seemed to be thrilled by Augusta Technical. I guess Atlanta Technical doesn't measure up? Augusta schools must know their stuff about coffee.

If Augusta pays for it, and apparently it qualifies for state support in employee training, job credits, and tax credits so it could have been Savannah.

If they do a lot of shipping, might as well be near the ship.
And they pretty much are; roughly 125 miles to port is really nothing. This isn't the early 1800's when large-scale transportation was limited to waterways. With the combination of things that it was offering, obviously Augusta made a compelling case to Starbucks. If Savannah was even in the running (which I doubt), it obviously didn't.

And why aren't Kia or Caterpillar in Savannah?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And they pretty much are; roughly 125 miles to port is really nothing. This isn't the early 1800's when large-scale transportation was limited to waterways. With the combination of things that it was offering, obviously Augusta made a compelling case to Starbucks. If Savannah was even in the running (which I doubt), it obviously didn't.

And why aren't Kia or Caterpillar in Savannah?
Basically my question. Why is Savannah passed over for stuff like this? And South Georgia in general?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Basically my question. Why is Savannah passed over for stuff like this? And South Georgia in general?
You're asking some good questions and I agree.

Really. Honestly. WHAT was it that made Augusta stand out over places like Atlanta and Savannah? Each respective city (including Augusta, of course) has what Starbucks was looking for. Savannah and Atlanta have everything Augusta has to win this contract over. What could it possibly be that stood out in Augusta?

There had to be SOMETHING to sway the company to choose Augusta over Savannah and Atlanta.

All that said, I congratulate Augusta for getting this plant and the coming jobs. Way to go!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Y'all, we're talking about a coffee manufacturing plant that's not even going to employ 150 people. It's not exactly some huge deal.

It should be pretty obvious why something this small potatoes wasn't looking at Atlanta. It would be like using a hammer to swat a fly.

Savannah and south Georgia DO get small wins like this:

http://www.seda.org/contents/view/75...-property.html

http://www.seda.org/contents/view/75...n-january.html

http://www.seda.org/contents/view/75...-000-jobs.html

The question is, why isn't Savannah landing the BIG wins like Caterpillar and Kia?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Y'all, we're talking about a coffee manufacturing plant that's not even going to employ 150 people. It's not exactly some huge deal.

It should be pretty obvious why something this small potatoes wasn't looking at Atlanta. It would be like using a hammer to swat a fly.

Savannah and south Georgia DO get small wins like this:

Savannah News Center - Savannah In the News

The question is, why isn't Savannah landing the BIG wins like Caterpillar and Kia?
Yeah, logistics and distribution companies, not to mention warehousing are interested in Savannah. Savannah does have Gulfstream so you'd think it can't be all that bad in Savannah.

Savannah has an international airport with way more operations than Augusta's regional airport. Beautiful old town, the ocean and beaches. So why aren't they the New York of the South?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Savannah has an international airport with way more operations than Augusta's regional airport. Beautiful old town, the ocean and beaches. So why aren't they the New York of the South?
Because it has historically had a more agrarian-based economy and it was not geographically situated to become a hub once railroads and roads supplanted waterways as primary means of transportation like Atlanta and Charlotte were. Plus, if it were only about having those characteristics you listed, Charleston would be the "New York of the South" and Savannah wouldn't have a chance anyway.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Because it has historically had a more agrarian-based economy and it was not geographically situated to become a hub once railroads and roads supplanted waterways as primary means of transportation like Atlanta and Charlotte were. Plus, if it were only about having those characteristics you listed, Charleston would be the "New York of the South" and Savannah wouldn't have a chance anyway.
Yeah, and Charleston too. So why do companies choose Augusta and West Point?

My theory is the fall line or more descriptively the "gnat line". It goes from Columbus, to Macon, to Augusta.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and Charleston too. So why do companies choose Augusta and West Point?
Well, Charleston's not really in the same boat as Savannah when it comes to this (i.e., Boeing). I just mentioned it due to the specific characteristics you mentioned.

Can't speak too much for West Point, but let's not act like Augusta has absolutely NO assets and that everything that lands there could do better in Savannah or somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta