Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No one wants to be old and gray and gray waiting on something like this and then not care anymore because they are old and gray
This project is for current residents and future generations. We as Americans need to get out of this instant gratification mindset.
Quote:
The vehicles need to be housed somewhere, and a facility will be located along Edgewood under the Connector for the Atlanta Streetcar; duplicating this along the Beltline will be a waste of money and will require a big maintenance facility to be built right in a prime area: most would agree this is not desirable
Included in the BeltLine TSPLOST money is expanding the Downtown streetcar maintenance facility and extension from BeltLine to the Downtown Streetcar via Irwin Street. Everything you said is correct. The BeltLine will connect to existing MARTA stations and the Downtown Streetcar.
http://www.metroatlantatransportationreferendum.com/documents/final_report.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This project is for current residents and future generations. We as Americans need to get out of this instant gratification mindset.
There is no gratification for the people over 20 now. We won't care when it is done.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
There is no gratification for the people over 20 now. We won't care when it is done.
Why won't you care?

I'm over 20. I care now and I will care when it's done, if I am still around.

It's kind of lame that you won't care, but that says a lot about you and nothing about the Beltline.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Seriously? There will be a lot of gratification for this over 20 years old person when the Beltline project is completed. I'll still be plenty young enough to enjoy it for years and I was 20 in the 20th century. I'm guessing you weren't.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
You can enjoy it right now, so there IS instant gratification. Try the skatepark, or Old Fourth ward Park. Take a Beltline tour. Participate in one of their run the beltline events. etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
I'm in my mid-20's and I care when this project is done because my kids and future generations will be using it, just as we are using the interstate highway system that started when my grandparents were in their 20's. This project has the ability to change how people travel in the city of Atlanta forever and change development patterns. I for one can't wait for the downtown streetcar and will be in line the first day!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
That's a huge difference between the U.S. and other cultures.

For example, China routinely makes plans decades in advance. But look at how far they've come just since the 1980s. Wow!!

Unfortunately, here in the U.S. people want everything right now. Our typical thinking is "If I can't get something that will instantly improve my life then forget it." And that is why we're falling behind. The gap will only be more evident -- and quite possibly insurmountable -- in the years to come.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a huge difference between the U.S. and other cultures.

For example, China routinely makes plans decades in advance. But look at how far they've come just since the 1980s. Wow!!

Unfortunately, here in the U.S. people want everything right now. Our typical thinking is "If I can't get something that will instantly improve my life then forget it." And that is why we're falling behind. The gap will only be more evident -- and quite possibly insurmountable -- in the years to come.

Eh, China can also get things like this built in 1-4 years vs the 20 it takes here too. You just proved my point.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Eh, China can also get things like this built in 1-4 years vs the 20 it takes here too. You just proved my point.
Well that is the positive to their system. The government declares something and that's the way it is.

The negative is that there is virtually no recourse for the citizens to do anything if they dislike the government's decision.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Sooo...if the Beltline is done in 2030, as supposedly planned, that is 18 years from now. If you were 25 now, you would 43 then. Are you saying that you would be too old to enjoy anything at that point? You know that 43-year-olds aren't exactly walking with canes and riding on Hoverounds, right?

Quote:
Probably because China doesn't have to deal with people saying "If I can't have this right now, I will fight it!" or "If this does not benefit me directly on a daily basis, I will fight it!" or "If my tax dollars are being used to pay for this, I will fight it!". They probably just DO IT, like I sometimes with we could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta