Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

I am in process of putting together a trip that will take my dad and I from Va, to Chattanooga TN to Atlanta back to VA.

We are both Dodger fans and would end up seeing a AA game in TN, then traveling 2 hours south to Atlanta. I noticed how close the two cities were and it just so happens the Dodgers are in town during August the same time the AA team is at home.

It's likely we would be staying in Atlanta for at least 2 days. Would probably end up checking in a hotel on Thursday and checking out on a Sunday. Going to a Friday and Saturday game likely.

Of course the ball games are the main reason we are going but would still love to explore the city some. We both love sports so anything to do with sports would be a perk. A nice sports bar/restaurant for lunch or dinner.

Hotels? I prefer to stay in Holiday Inn hotels. Are there any hotels that are decent in pricing not far from the stadium. I checked the rates on HI website and they were all around low $100 which is perfect.

Ideally I think it would be nice to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance to the stadium or access through mass transit metro? I'm not even sure if you guys have metro down there or if it's safe for out of towners.

Any tips/advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of putting this trip together for my dad as a present for him. Might be the last time we ever get to go on a trip like this as we are both getting older.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
There are several Holiday Inns in the downtown area including one on Capitol Avenue just a couple blocks from the stadium, but you might enjoy staying at the one on Andrew Young International Blvd @ Centennial Olympic Park since you both enjoy sports. It is right in the middle of all the touristy stuff (CNN Center, World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium) and a couple of blocks from the Peachtree Center MARTA (subway) station so you can catch the train to Midtown, Buckhead, etc. Take your dad for a chili dog and frosted orange at The Varsity (at North Avenue Station across from Georgia Tech) to get a true Atlanta sports experience -- it's the world's largest drive-in! It goes without saying that Centennial Olympic Park is worth seeing, and the aquarium is largest in the world as well and a lot of fun (but pricey).

I'd check the Braves website for package deals as well as the Atlanta City Pass web site for discounts on multiple attractions. They have a kiosk in Underground Atlanta that's a good one-stop shop for seeing the whole city.

Braves Theme Park Combo Deals | braves.com: Tickets

Official Atlanta CityPASS® | Visit 5 Atlanta Attractions for $69

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are several Holiday Inns in the downtown area including one on Capitol Avenue just a couple blocks from the stadium, but you might enjoy staying at the one on Andrew Young International Blvd @ Centennial Olympic Park since you both enjoy sports. It is right in the middle of all the touristy stuff (CNN Center, World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium) and a couple of blocks from the Peachtree Center MARTA (subway) station so you can catch the train to Midtown, Buckhead, etc. Take your dad for a chili dog and frosted orange at The Varsity (at North Avenue Station across from Georgia Tech) to get a true Atlanta sports experience -- it's the world's largest drive-in! It goes without saying that Centennial Olympic Park is worth seeing, and the aquarium is largest in the world as well and a lot of fun (but pricey).

I'd check the Braves website for package deals as well as the Atlanta City Pass web site for discounts on multiple attractions. They have a kiosk in Underground Atlanta that's a good one-stop shop for seeing the whole city.

Braves Theme Park Combo Deals | braves.com: Tickets

Official Atlanta CityPASS® | Visit 5 Atlanta Attractions for $69
Thanks, it looks like I'll be staying at that hotel. I noticed there is a metro station right outside the hotel. How safe is the metro station in Atlanta? Unfortunately it does not look like it goes anywhere near the stadium (Turner Field).

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
You plan on driving? You know that you can take Megabus from TN to Atlanta and it will drop you off in downtown ATL

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You plan on driving? You know that you can take Megabus from TN to Atlanta and it will drop you off in downtown ATL
I'm driving to TN so I will have my vehicle with me. Thanks though.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks, it looks like I'll be staying at that hotel. I noticed there is a metro station right outside the hotel. How safe is the metro station in Atlanta? Unfortunately it does not look like it goes anywhere near the stadium (Turner Field).
MARTA (Atlanta Metro) is very safe but unfortunately does not have a station near the stadium. They used to run free Braves shuttles from the Five Points Station at Underground which is within walking distance from your hotel but I'm not sure if they still do that? Tell the folks at your hotel that you have Braves tickets and they'll tell you the best (and safest) way to The Ted.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
MARTA (Atlanta Metro) is very safe but unfortunately does not have a station near the stadium. They used to run free Braves shuttles from the Five Points Station at Underground which is within walking distance from your hotel but I'm not sure if they still do that? Tell the folks at your hotel that you have Braves tickets and they'll tell you the best (and safest) way to The Ted.
MARTA is very safe and they still run the braves shuttle from Underground Atlanta to Turner Field MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA is very safe and they still run the braves shuttle from Underground Atlanta to Turner Field MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority.
Why did I think they had suspended the Braves shuttles? Was it something they tried and reversed the decision? Did it have something to do with the decline of Underground? Even so, seems like very bad PR for Braves AND MARTA IMO ... glad they still have it!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why did I think they had suspended the Braves shuttles? Was it something they tried and reversed the decision? Did it have something to do with the decline of Underground? Even so, seems like very bad PR for Braves AND MARTA IMO ... glad they still have it!
A couple of years ago MARTA didn't have the money to run the Braves shuttle and threaten to suspend it unless the Braves chipped in money. I guess the 2 companies came to an agreement and they run on-time and is a perfect alternative to pay $30 to park and sit in traffic as the Braves shuttle speed by.
There is nothing wrong with Underground. I always eat there before the game. Its cheaper, more food, better quality, and have higher food scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: