Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times

Advertisements

Isn't the site just on the other side of the Aquarium? Seem pretty accessible, unless I'm confused about the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
No ish lol.

People get off at the Largo Station in Md to FedEx field all the time.
This is the South, people are fat and lazy. Hell they complain about having to take a shuttle bus to Turner Field. I guess they expect the train to drop them off at their seats?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Ah good! Even more reason to cancel the whole thing! Hopefully someone with enough political/legal firepower will be able to use this to derail the whole thing.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:

I sure hope this thing doesn't wind up looking like FedEx field. Talk about being awash in a sea of parking.

http://goo.gl/maps/6ySQA

Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Isn't the site just on the other side of the Aquarium? Seem pretty accessible, unless I'm confused about the location.
Yes, it's a few blocks from the Aquarium and the other tourist attractions, although some people swear there's "nothing" nearby. People are funny. Having it on the north site will be good for overall tourism, and may help the other venues on game days. Hopefully, the Falcons and World of Coke / Georgia Aquarium / Center for Civil and Human Rights will partner on gameday packages, and maybe they'll have Falcons Landing in Centennial Olympic Park.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Having it on the north site will be good for overall tourism, and may help the other venues on game days.
Compared to it being at the south end of Centennial Olympic Park, next to the CNN center and its $7 huge beers.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM

246 posts, read 374,885 times
Seems that the only option left may be to demolish the Georgia Dome, relocate the Falcons to Athens for a year or two, and build on that site.

Or...they could go back to the owner of the old GM facility at 285 & Peachtree Industrial, make a new pitch for the land that has direct access to both interstates & MARTA, and build a world class stadium & recreational area to rival Dallas while telling the downtown area to go f--k themselves.

No one does sprawl like Atlanta. Why should our professional sports teams be any different?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
No ish lol.

There is no shortage of people complaining about the walk from Largo Station to FedEx...
Lived in DC for 9 years and heard the complaints all season long, every year.

People like the tailgating atmosphere at FedEx, but hate the parking & walk from Largo...
Generally, people would rather their stadium be in the midst of things... Local sports bars, and shops all around the stadium, and yes a "short" walk from transit as opposed to the Castle on a hill of parking design for FedEx.
People in DC have only had FedEx since 97, and already are talking bringing the team back into the city...

The opposite side of the arguement is that "a lot of original Skins fans now live in outlying counties and don't want to go into the city to see their team." That's not the case here in ATL. Best policy for Atlanta is always, build as close to MARTA as physically possible. Why? Well, what do people already say about MARTA? "I would use it IF it took me where I want to go, but it doesn't go where the people are going..."
So from here looking forward, yes a 1/2 mile walk is too far away to form new developments that will require people from all over to attend. ALWAYS build as close as possible (so in the future, MARTA is going where the people want to go). It's simple...

Also, I don't know about the view from the north site. I see someone say it will be an awesome view... SO, I set out and stood in various places around the north site and the south site. From what I've found is this:

North site - IS NOT really a "hill" in the since that the stadium will sit higher than its surroundings. That's not entirely true. It is on somewhat of a hill, BUT Ivan Allen Blvd elevates above what will be the site, taking away from the "top of the hill" feeling... AND the current Dome looks like it sits on top of a much higher hill.
There is a bridge over the railroad gulch connecting the North site from GA Aquarium and the other stuff...
It's not a very flattering walk between the site and GA Aquarium, but it can be inhanced.
*Gotta remember, the skyline view window in the stadium's design is at an angle from the corner of the field, intended to point either North by NorthEast, OR South by SouthEast... Not both. So....... From the North site, the window will either only show Midtown, if pointing NE, or will show a pretty good view of downtown with the new Skyview illuminating over Centennial Park. I gotta say, that's not a bad view at all... ONLY thing with that view is it doesn't capture the entire skyline...
IF Times Square South ever gets built, it will obstruct the view of Skyview and the south end of downtown, but it could ALSO look nice if lit right.
It's not really in a position that it is going to positively affect Vine City (although, the GA Dome was right next to Vine City and it didn't induce a lot of development).
North site will sit closer to the CFHOF, which would work out well come Peach Bowl, SEC Championship time... Maybe it'll help us slide into contention to start hosting BCS Championships.

South site - The surrounding streets are elevated, so, like The Dome, it will sit low in the railroad gulch. However, when driving north up the downtown connector, you will actually be able to see it without it being obstructed by the GWCC. The viewing window would point NE, which would allow it to take in all of downtown's skyline, NoSo and some of Midtown from inside the stadium. But the view of Skyview would be at an angle and obstructed. But what WOULD be cool is seeing all the illuminated towers in GA Int'l Plaza.
The South site is definitley more in the midst of better development potential. To be able to develop the entire area between Castleberry and the new dome, making that whole area walkable. Also, with the money promised to be used to develop the surrounding areas, MAYBE Vine City can be turned into a signature neighborhood of Atlanta like OK City did with its Bricktown.

IMO - I think I'd rather the South site, BUT I won't be too upset with the North site. But I can't agree that the North site will be "better" at all.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Seems that the only option left may be to demolish the Georgia Dome, relocate the Falcons to Athens for a year or two, and build on that site.

Or...they could go back to the owner of the old GM facility at 285 & Peachtree Industrial, make a new pitch for the land that has direct access to both interstates & MARTA, and build a world class stadium & recreational area to rival Dallas while telling the downtown area to go f--k themselves.

No one does sprawl like Atlanta. Why should our professional sports teams be any different?
Move the Falcons to Athens?!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!
If anything, just let them play at Bobby Dodd Stadium until the new stadium is built on the Dome's site... IF they HAD to use the current Dome's site for a new stadium.

But I do not and will NEVER EVER EVER support an idea that moves the Falcons away from downtown and into the suburbs. NO SIR!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM

104 posts, read 141,704 times
Don't read too much into the latest report. This might simply be a negotiating tactic. At today's GWCC meeting they decided nothing. The south site hasn't been ruled out and even the August 1st deadline is probably a soft date. The earlier attempts to get the churches to give up their property haven't worked so this might be Reed trying a different angle. Don't be surprised if there is no agreement on August 1st that they suddenly discover some slack in the schedule and extend the deadline another month or two. At this point it is as much about saving face as it is about a particular location. Reed has made this stadium the defining work of his political career. To have it built on the north site after using so much pressure to make the south site happen would be a setback for him.

If it does go to the north site, they'll just have to think a bit out of the box. With the construction of a ramp, they could have buses shuttling between GWCC/CNN station and the northsite using the space between GWCC buildings. Since it is a private "street" under GWCC control, it would take about two minutes for the buses to get from MARTA to the stadium. The money could come from the hundreds of millions going into the excess tax revenue account. Shuttles from Civic Center to the stadium would be a bit more difficult but could probably happen with some thought. It's amazing what can be done when it become necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta