Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM

893 posts, read 1,319,843 times

Advertisements

Recent visit to Atlanta

I would just like to tell you guys what a lovely city you have! My girlfriend and I absolutely loved Atlanta; from the time our plane landed we encountered such truly genuine polite people from the workers at Paschal's Southern Cuisine to the Enterprise worker who help me get my rental car.

We stayed at a family member’s apartment in the Midtown area close to Atlanta station. We loved seeing all the young professionals in the area. (Something not seen too often in PGH) since we had a rental car we basically drove around and checked out piedmont park and ate breakfast at the flying biscuit. The weather was absolutely amazing our whole vacation. You guy don’t know how lucky you have it waking up in March to 70 degree weather. We also checked out some apartment complexes they seemed very affordable ranging from 875-1,000.

The restaurant we ate are consisted of Gladys Knights, Justins (in buckhead), strip in Atlanta station, taco mac , Six feet under. & I must say every waiter we had was extremely nice coming from the north that’s abnormal. I guess that southern hospitality is the real deal.
Lastly being African American what caught my eye were all the young blacks with JOBS! I believe that will be the deciding factor of my decision on making that move to Atlanta in the near future.

While visiting the Dr. King memorial there was a tour of young children the class was the most diverse I’ve ever seen Black, White, Asian, Mexican playing together simply beautiful! Atlanta you will have two more young people entering your city/environment/work force. Contributing to society in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,894,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
Recent visit to Atlanta

I would just like to tell you guys what a lovely city you have! My girlfriend and I absolutely loved Atlanta; from the time our plane landed we encountered such truly genuine polite people from the workers at Paschal's Southern Cuisine to the Enterprise worker who help me get my rental car.

We stayed at a family member’s apartment in the Midtown area close to Atlanta station. We loved seeing all the young professionals in the area. (Something not seen too often in PGH) since we had a rental car we basically drove around and checked out piedmont park and ate breakfast at the flying biscuit. The weather was absolutely amazing our whole vacation. You guy don’t know how lucky you have it waking up in March to 70 degree weather. We also checked out some apartment complexes they seemed very affordable ranging from 875-1,000.

The restaurant we ate are consisted of Gladys Knights, Justins (in buckhead), strip in Atlanta station, taco mac , Six feet under. & I must say every waiter we had was extremely nice coming from the north that’s abnormal. I guess that southern hospitality is the real deal.
Lastly being African American what caught my eye were all the young blacks with JOBS! I believe that will be the deciding factor of my decision on making that move to Atlanta in the near future.

While visiting the Dr. King memorial there was a tour of young children the class was the most diverse I’ve ever seen Black, White, Asian, Mexican playing together simply beautiful! Atlanta you will have two more young people entering your city/environment/work force. Contributing to society in the near future.

You're coming from the Burgh?
Glad you enjoyed ATL - it's a great city.

Just be careful about moving without a job lined up - we are not out of the woods yet with the economy here.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
IMO there are very few places you could come from in America and not be impressed by Atlanta. Despite all the negatives perpetuated on C-D, the place holds a certain magic.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times
You think Atlanta was nice last weekend, wait until festival season kicks in next month. BTW, on average, in a nice area your rent will be $200-$300 cheaper than living in the city

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,985,831 times
Just so you're not disappointed later....

Understand that we are having very unseasonably warm weather. Now, it's not totally uncommon for Atlanta to have nice Spring weather, but sometimes it just goes from frigid to sweltering practically overnight. We generally, though, have pretty reliable autumns with a month or two of very awesome weather (October and November).

The best thing about Atlanta's weather is that even when it's cold in the winter, the sun is generally out. So the temps may get low, but at least we rarely get that gray dismal sky that is common up north.

Also know that just because you're young and black doesn't mean job offers are going to come out of the woodwork. You're going to have to hustle like anybody else anywhere else.

Aside from that, you'll find that it's better than the north in almost every way.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,752,569 times
Glad to hear you had such a great visit. Sounds like your host gave you some good advice as to restaurants and seeing a little bit of the variety of what Atlanta has to offer.

Spring is a great time of year in Atlanta - the heat and humidity has not kicked in. The first week of April is typically peak bloom season (corresponds with the Masters Golf Tournament) although it seems to have come a bit earlier this year. As tonygeorgia noted, festival season is right around the corner. There will be weekends in April where there is so much to do in Atlanta that you can't possibly fit it all in

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,692,260 times
Quote:
Recent visit to Atlanta

Very nice to hear. Just so many haters here on CD they are jealous of Atlanta and 99% of them are basing their judgments off of all the other negativity spewed by negative people. ATL is an amazing place, come on back.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,351,707 times
Quote:
You guy don’t know how lucky you have it waking up in March to 70 degree weather.
Thanks for all the compliments but we only get a couple of weeks of this weather in the spring and it's right back to 80's and 90's. In fact a week ago it was in the 80's. I could say that you're lucky to wake up in August to 70 degree weather.

It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation but do yourself a favor and don't decide to move to a new city simply because of the weather or because the service industry workers were courteous. That's their job. It's not an indication of what everyone will be like.

You need to do your due diligence before picking up and moving.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
The summers here aren't that bad. Go to Central Florida, where the humidity is worse and there is no sea-breeze. Or the Tennessee Valley in Alabama. Horrible humidity and stagnant air.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 AM

893 posts, read 1,319,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Thanks for all the compliments but we only get a couple of weeks of this weather in the spring and it's right back to 80's and 90's. In fact a week ago it was in the 80's. I could say that you're lucky to wake up in August to 70 degree weather.

It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation but do yourself a favor and don't decide to move to a new city simply because of the weather or because the service industry workers were courteous. That's their job. It's not an indication of what everyone will be like.

You need to do your due diligence before picking up and moving.

Your absolutely right and I realize that. I'll be graduating from college this spring and I will be completing my internship at a hotel here in PGH. (I'm a hotel management major) which is a supervisor position. Then once i get 1 year on my resume I'll be making that move to Atlanta of course with a job lined up; Or with 8-10k savings which ever comes first. My girlfriend and I will be splitting all expenses. So even if my supervisor/management position in ATL is only paying $15/hr (which I'm currently making this summer) I'm sure between two people we can make it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta