Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM

188 posts, read 297,481 times

Advertisements

I'm in the due diligence period on a single family home in the Spring Hill community of Smyrna (just off Spring Rd in the community along Spring Dr/Carolyn Dr/Rolling View Dr). What can you tell me about that community and the area around Spring Rd as a whole in terms of safety? Any other issues you think I should know?

Thanks ahead of time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,409,652 times
You don't have to worry about crime on Spring Rd. The thing you WILL find the most annoying about it at times will be the traffic. Between 6-8 AM going east towards 285 the traffic is hellacious. Same in the evening between 4-6 coming west FROM 285. It generally backs up at the Village Pkwy intersection as well as Atlanta Rd. Other than that, it's pretty quiet.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,982 times
I don't know any details of the community but I have lived in the Spring Road area for 17+ years with no safety issues. Traffic does back up around Argyle Elementery during the school year. The apartments off of Spring Road (Galleria?) don't have the best reputation but much of that is from years ago, local residents don't forget.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
All I can tell you is that I have lived all over metro Atlanta. It all has bad traffic. However, I have never, ever, ever seen anything like the traffic around there. Ever. I'm a naturally impatient person, but nothing makes me angrier than watching a light turn green, then red, then green again....and I still haven't moved. It happens there.

I'm speaking to the area that is relatively close to 41. If you are going to do most of your travels westbound toward Atlanta Road, you might be in for less of a disaster.

I think the trouble over there is none of the neighborhood roads connect to a thing. So all traffic is forced onto a very few arteries, workarounds just don't exist. I live in what can sometimes be a similarly congested area, but where I live, there are many backroads that go through neighborhoods that connect. So locals like me never touch the nightmare roads, but over there, I'm afraid you aren't going to have a choice.

I guess some people just deal with it, but I don't like feeling like I am a prisoner in my own home between 4 and 7p every day.

The other thing I find completely amazing about that area (I'm not sure about Spring Road, but I will say this about Windy Hill and Cobb Parkway) is that I lived there in 1996. I didn't really like it at all, so I have made it a point to never return. A couple of weeks ago I found myself there on business. Atlanta has changed drastically over the past 15 years, and I was amazed to find that area had barely changed at all. It's like it is stuck in time from 1996 (and who knows, maybe before that). It was like entering a timewarp. That doesn't pertain to your question, but it's just an observation.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 PM

We have definitely established the fact that ATLTJL hates Smyrna

Here is the most recent thread on the area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...a-mystery.html

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!

As for the traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I don't know any details of the community but I have lived in the Spring Road area for 17+ years with no safety issues. Traffic does back up around Argyle Elementery during the school year. The apartments off of Spring Road (Galleria?) don't have the best reputation but much of that is from years ago, local residents don't forget.
I was completely unaware of the traffic problems on Spring Rd. My commute would likely take me from my home to Campbell Rd to get to I-285, thus bypassing Spring Rd. How does the traffic fare on Campbell Rd?

Also, I hope I don't ruffle anyone's feathers, but it seems like the Afton Downs town homes are a complete dump... at least from what I saw driving by that community, I'm inclined to believe there may be some drug activity there. But perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Thanks for the info everyone!

As for the traffic...

I was completely unaware of the traffic problems on Spring Rd. My commute would likely take me from my home to Campbell Rd to get to I-285, thus bypassing Spring Rd. How does the traffic fare on Campbell Rd?

Also, I hope I don't ruffle anyone's feathers, but it seems like the Afton Downs town homes are a complete dump... at least from what I saw driving by that community, I'm inclined to believe there may be some drug activity there. But perhaps I'm just being paranoid.
There is no backup on Campbell Road - we just got a new bridge which has greatly improved the traffic flow. Atlanta Road will be your next back-up especially left on Paces Ferry to Home Depot and then again at I-285 (plans are underway to improve that intersection but that will still take several years)

Note there is a speed limit on Campbell and the cops regularly give out tickets. In many cases they will have those signs showing your speed for 1 week - this is a warning that they will be stationed on the road the next week handing out tickets!

Last I looked at Afton Downs - many years ago, I was not impressed. The interesction to that area is about to go through a major change as Race Trac is putting in a new gas station

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
There is no backup on Campbell Road - we just got a new bridge which has greatly improved the traffic flow. Atlanta Road will be your next back-up especially left on Paces Ferry to Home Depot and then again at I-285 (plans are underway to improve that intersection but that will still take several years)
The bridge over the tracks is done now? Good! That took a while.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The bridge over the tracks is done now? Good! That took a while.
It is a very nice bridge - they still have landscaping to do.

The stop sign at the other end (which has always been there) will sneek up drivers that are not familiar the area. I expect lots of tickets for not stopping.

The old bridge was narrow so drivers slowed down but with the new wider bridge drivers tend to fly over the tracks now.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 AM

Yes, Campbell Rd to Atlanta Rd to Paces Ferry to I-285 seems like a pleasant drive. I haven't seen the horrific back-ups that some have mentioned... maybe "busy" at some times but nothing even close to the scale of what I've seen on Clifton/Briarcliff/LaVista near Emory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: