Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Grew up in Tennessee, lived in Asia for a couple years, lived in Alabama for college, and here for 5 years. Outside of the rare occasion you have to slow down to pass a slow bicyclist I don't see it cutting down on driving time. I am fine with making new roads or roads you are already widening just a bit wider for bicycle lanes but projects specifically just to add bicycle lanes to existing roads I think are a waste of money and certainly don't fall under the intended goal of the TSPLOST. Several of the projects are just random bike/pedestrian trails also and have even less to do with roads.

Here is a TL;DR hint for you : people in cities with bike friendly street opt to use their bikes vs driving. It takes cars off the road.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 07-27-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Grew up in Tennessee, lived in Asia for a couple years, lived in Alabama for college, and here for 5 years. Outside of the rare occasion you have to slow down to pass a slow bicyclist I don't see it cutting down on driving time. I am fine with making new roads or roads you are already widening just a bit wider for bicycle lanes but projects specifically just to add bicycle lanes to existing roads I think are a waste of money and certainly don't fall under the intended goal of the TSPLOST. Several of the projects are just random bike/pedestrian trails also and have even less to do with roads.
I figured you were from a rural area by your answer. You aren't in the country anymore. This is a city and things operate different here. I used to think the same way as you until I begin to travel to other cities

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
I would actually say that unless bike lanes are present, on some roads bicycles should be banned. I'm fine with people riding bikes and did it quite a bit in big cities and suburbs when I was younger. Having bike lanes is a great way to ensure safety and encourage riding.

To me, the problem happens when people ride bikes on roads w/o lanes and cause traffic backups and even safety issues. Sometimes on narrow streets or in certain situations cars are afraid to pass a bike, other cars pass too closely, or sometimes oncoming traffic causes traffic to stop or follow the bike at a slow speed, etc. I would certainly prefer a bike lane and wish that bicycles were not allowed on many roads w/o because they are not physically the equal of a car, and the safety of both can be affected.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
I would actually say that unless bike lanes are present, on some roads bicycles should be banned. I'm fine with people riding bikes and did it quite a bit in big cities and suburbs when I was younger. Having bike lanes is a great way to ensure safety and encourage riding.

To me, the problem happens when people ride bikes on roads w/o lanes and cause traffic backups and even safety issues. Sometimes on narrow streets or in certain situations cars are afraid to pass a bike, other cars pass too closely, or sometimes oncoming traffic causes traffic to stop or follow the bike at a slow speed, etc. I would certainly prefer a bike lane and wish that bicycles were not allowed on many roads w/o because they are not physically the equal of a car, and the safety of both can be affected.
That is a perfect world, where cyclist have 3-ft wide lanes. Sometimes its easy if there is a wide gutter between the white line and curb. I think cyclist need to obey the traffic laws too. Stopping at red lights and stop signs. As a commuting cyclist, I hate to see these lane armstrong, recreational cyclist speed through a red light or stop sign. Makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is a perfect world, where cyclist have 3-ft wide lanes. Sometimes its easy if there is a wide gutter between the white line and curb. I think cyclist need to obey the traffic laws too. Stopping at red lights and stop signs. As a commuting cyclist, I hate to see these lane armstrong, recreational cyclist speed through a red light or stop sign. Makes the rest of us look bad.
My point is that lanes are a good idea where used, and there are some roads where bikes just shouldn't mix with cars unless they have a lane. Also agree with you that bikes have to follow the rules of the road.

I can't tell you how many times I had personal experience or just witnessed bike couriers in NY or Boston doing stupid things and taking their lives and those of others in their hands. Not just a lack of courtesy, but downright dangerous. I don't see those same types of riders or couriers here. I would say bike riders here aren't as bad, which is the inverse to auto drivers, where I think GA might be the worst in the US.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Also agree with you that bikes have to follow the rules of the road.
Say what! We actually agree on something!
Quote:
I would say bike riders here aren't as bad, which is the inverse to auto drivers, where I think GA might be the worst in the US.
You should see the packs of cyclist ride down Hosea L. Williams Drive on the weekends. They'll be 50-100 sometimes, riding 4 deep just screwing traffic all up, speeding thru red lights. Kinda look like a flock of birds, when 1 turns they all turn.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
All northbound lanes of 75/85 are blocked due to an overturned tanker. If this bill would have passed this accident. Probably would not have happened

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 07-27-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
I jjust voted......'No', and I take the bus everyday

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
From Doug Sams, Commercial Real Estate Editor for the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Quote:
Economic development officials say competing cities could win the race for new jobs if Atlanta voters reject an $8.5 billion plan to deal with metro transportation woes.

But it’s nearly impossible to get other cities to admit they’ll throw stones at Atlanta, even Charlotte, N.C., one of Atlanta’s biggest rivals.

“We try to sell our own assets rather than point out another city’s negatives,” said Natalie English, chief lobbyist for the Charlotte Chamber. English conceded, though, that some corporations might perceive that Charlotte has a better system of addressing transportation issues.

Some regional economic development consultants are more candid.

“Rest assured that other states will market well against any negative vote,” said Mike Mullis, president of Memphis, Tenn.-based site selection firm J.M. Mullis Inc.

A failed vote will give Atlanta’s competitors ammunition, said Betty McIntosh, managing director within the business incentives practice for real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield.

More...TSPLOST defeat would be stone for competitors to throw at ATL - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
From Doug Sams, Commercial Real Estate Editor for the Atlanta Business Chronicle:
And my wife is a commercial real estate appraiser for CBRE who lease a large percentage of commercial buildings in the Atlanta area, and per square foot, it cost more to lease in Buckhead than it does downtown and there's ****tier access to Buckhead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta