Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why is moving to the other cities a joke? Dallas and Houston are peer cities of Atlanta and both are larger. DC has a lot of things to do and see.
I was talking about Chicago and Philly.

Only thing I said about Dallas and Houston is that they continue to gain jobs even though our rail network is better than both cities. I stated that DC still gains jobs even though their traffic is worse than ours even though they have a better rail system. Yes I know DC is the nations capital

All I'm saying is this isn't a life or death situation for Atlanta. I'm sure the city and Dekalb will get another vote and this will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Nice illustrations Tony, but London, Paris, and New York are not Atlanta's peer cities. They are much larger and much more important.
Not to mention their underground transit systems are many years old, dating back to the 1800's and early 1900's. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Atlanta Traffic | We Need Transit - YouTube

Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM

If it doesnt pass hopefully on the next vote more of the $$$ would go towards rail

Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
So why is the transit that is already in the Atlanta area so lightly used? Atlanta ranks #30 in the US, behind many other cities with far less transit infrastructure. The contention that most people in the area are sitting around wishing they could ride transit is nonsense. They may not like their current commute, but very few would get out of their cars and ride MARTA if it was suddenly offered to them, assuming it went where they needed to go.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Thanks for giving me another reason to hope this thing fails.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Any of you anti TIA attend the rally to show your opposition? No, didn't see anyone but there was a good mix of people to support it. Old, young, white, black, rich, poor. A lot of people believe this tax will improve their lives and for future generations.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
If it doesnt pass hopefully on the next vote more of the $$$ would go towards rail
That's the thing your only hoping there another, by politics there may not be another vote, and if there is another vote doesn't mean they will add more rail because of politics again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So why is the transit that is already in the Atlanta area so lightly used? Atlanta ranks #30 in the US, behind many other cities with far less transit infrastructure. The contention that most people in the area are sitting around wishing they could ride transit is nonsense. They may not like their current commute, but very few would get out of their cars and ride MARTA if it was suddenly offered to them, assuming it went where they needed to go.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And this is what I'm talking about it doesn't matter what liberals think!!!!!!! it matters what the business leaders think, your trying to play politics with liberals when these are ideals of Atlanta's business community. This isn't the government trying to force this on you it's basically leaders of the private sector the employers wishes for improvements in the area.

My issue is the majority of whom voting no will be people having the ideal the government is trying to force ideals and taxes on them when it's not. Most of who will be voting no are in principle small government pro capitalistic. What going on is there groups like the tea party and etc framing themselves in favor of the business community over the government, when these are ideals of the business community not damn liberals, the tea party promotes it's liberals though. The tea party is not on the side of capitalists there in the third or voluntary sector a advocacy group, a far right group fighting anything they at least perceive as liberal ideals. You can't say it not playing politics because it's just a dang 1 cent sales.

Have fun giving Atlanta business leaders the fingers by voting no, If this fail it will send a bad message to business leaders about the Atlanta area it's what you want right? The list is not perfect it can't be perfect to everyone because everyone has different ideals so it's already something in the middle group. The list is approve by the majority of leaders Democrats and Republicans the only ones opposing are radicals on both sides. I don't believe it will pass and this crap is sad.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Any of you anti TIA attend the rally to show your opposition? No, didn't see anyone but there was a good mix of people to support it. Old, young, white, black, rich, poor. A lot of people believe this tax will improve their lives and for future generations.
How nice for them. I voted. That's what counts.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Have fun giving Atlanta business leaders the fingers by voting no, If this fail it will send a bad message to business leaders about the Atlanta area it's what you want right? The list is not perfect it can't be perfect to everyone because everyone has different ideals so it's already something in the middle group. The list is approve by the majority of leaders Democrats and Republicans the only ones opposing are radicals on both sides.
Sorry, but that's so way off it's not even funny. No one is giving "business leaders" any finger, and frankly I resent the implication that if I don't vote for this plan, then I want Atlanta to fail and people to starve, and the roads to be clogged, and dogs and cats to no longer live together.

This is not the be all, end all. This is not a "do something now or you can never do anything ever again" as we are being told. This is not an economic stimulus. This is not a jobs bill. This was a good idea that got caught up in politics and ended up being a bad plan, that will not accomplish the stated purpose of reducing road congestion, and I will not vote for something that I do not think will accomplish the results needed at a reasonable cost.

As for the "only ones opposing are radicals" .... are you freaking kidding? Earth to chiatlal...Earth to chiatldal....Come in chiatldal. Have you read the polls? Have you read comments on other boards and in response to AJC and other pieces? This thing barely is getting 50% polling in Fulton and Dekalb. It's losing by a good margin just about everywhere else. If only "radicals" are opposing it, then half the voters in Fulton and Dekalb are radicals, and 60% or more of all other voters are also radicals. Is Sen Vincent Fort a radical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta