Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Now that the T-SPLOST failed (as expected), it's time to proactively move with Plan B. Now that the city/metro government can't succesfully run a transit system, looks like the state gov. will have to step in and do it. As I said before, privatized transit is A LOT better than govt. run transit funded with tax dollars. It will be built a lot quicker and better quality. All the money the companies such as Coke, Delta, CNN, TBS, etc. funded for the T-SPLOST campaign, they could have just funded the projects directly. If I had to move back to Atlanta, I'm living ITP (Midtown to be exact). At least the decline in home prices will be to my advantage as I can purchase a luxury hi-rise for a low price.
The problem with MARTA is that the state HAS stepped in and dictated to MARTA how it can spend it's money. The state contributes nothing but marching orders. That fact has ham-strung MARTA from day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The problem with MARTA is that the state HAS stepped in and dictated to MARTA how it can spend it's money. The state contributes nothing but marching orders. That fact has ham-strung MARTA from day one.
I do recall a few years ago when Purdue was still governer and he took over managing MARTA. Some thought he would go as extreme as to discontinue the existing rail lines. I thought a conservative state is supposed to believe in less big government control. Does anybody else see the irony in that?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I do recall a few years ago when Purdue was still governer and he took over managing MARTA. Some thought he would go as extreme as to discontinue the existing rail lines. I thought a conservative state is supposed to believe in less big government control. Does anybody else see the irony in that?
Not ironic at all. Republicans will pay lip service to the idea of limited government until they get elected. At least the the Dems are more open in their contempt for those that elected them.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Kudos to the citizens that were not seduced into believing that this bill was a panacea for Atlanta's traffic woes. Even the Atlanta Regional Commission in meetings conducted 7/12 - 7/13 conceded that TSPLOST would do little to nothing to ease the metro's existing traffic woes. The officials involved in the pro-TSPLOST effort show a willful ignorance to the opinions of the citizens' desires and needs.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
So much for Atlanta moving out of the stone ages.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It's clear that you didn't even bother to check the links. The first one references Atlanta in regards to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The second references an employment study from Arizona State University.

What are you talking about? The fact that Atlanta has a lot of black people has not stopped numerous Fortune 500 companies from coming here.
That is such a stupid statement, where is your proof of that.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
That isn't the perception and that is what will kill Atlanta, not to mention those are local magazines. No one wants to live and bring businesses to a metro perceived as a "black mecca" that has bad traffic and no regional cohesiveness.
Why does the moderator allow such stupid statements like the one above.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Why does the moderator allow such stupid statements like the one above.
Because you all take the bait and respond.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Plan B:
Commuter Rail system is the only way to run successful transit to the suburbs. Have stations at key MARTA stations, eg: Doraville, Lenox, East Point, Lindbergh so not everyone has to travel downtown to transfer to MARTA rail/bus.
Clayton County join MARTA and start running MARTA buses and plan for rail extension into Clayton County.
Bring up non-binding MARTA votes in Cobb and Gwinnett. I'm sure it won't pass in Cobb, but Gwinnett could be a swing. Need to present rail expansion projects with a timeline of completion for these non-binding votes so those residents know what they are voting for.
I guess GRTA is screwed. If the state will fund GRTA, then it should divert those funds to MARTA or have GRTA absorb MARTA, there is no reason why there should be 2 non-county, regional transit agencies. Talk about wasteful gov't spending. MARTA needs to trim the fat at the top. Agree to the terms of 2 North Fulton mayors taking seats from Fulton County so the state will end the 50/50 revenue split for MARTA.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
So much for Atlanta moving out of the stone ages.
I'm getting really tired over the dismissiveness of some towards those that voted 'no'. It certainly isn't as simple as you put it; many that have voted against it have been accused on here of being obtuse and lacking vision. IMO the opposite is true, and the lack of vision was on the other side...the voters saw through it. We were being asked to hand over a great deal of money for a plan that made no significant impact on our transportation woes.When I see a plan that incorporates alternative modes of transport (RAIL) and mandates that the state relinquish control over our transportation destiny, they'll begin to get my attention.

Last edited by Iconographer; 08-01-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta