Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I listen to their guy talking about "completing their system" and "giving people options" it makes me think Dallas has turned into a bunch of mush-brained liberals.

Who ever thought people in Texas would drink the Agenda 21 Kool-Aid? What's next, bicycle lanes? Sidewalks and walking paths? High speed rail?

Good to see Georgia (at least the Atlanta area) holding the line.
Huh? You're being sarcastic right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM

120 posts, read 227,527 times
Would it be possible for Marta to fund itself by raising the fare to say $5 per trip $7.50 with a transfer or unlimited daily rate of $10. Would it be possible for it to offer subscription service in different price ranges and packages thru it breese cards for example ($70 per month unlimited service with 2 year plan or $60 per month with 4 year plan or $40 per month 6 years ) 2 and 4 were used because of the large college population in the core Atl area. During special events that attract large crowds would it be possible for such subscription holders to receive a buddy pass as bonus for making a commitment to Marta. Could the business community behind the T-splost support such a plan by offering discounts on goods and services to such subscribers example (home depo could run a promotion offering a 10% discount on a select day or days for breeze card holders). Could such a system allow Marta to generate enough revenue for operations, maintenance possibly allowing the 1% tax it currently receives to be used for expansion or be removed since it seems to be one of the big issues that seems to divide Fulton and Dekalb from other core Atl counties.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta Native View Post
Would it be possible for Marta to fund itself by raising the fare to say $5 per trip $7.50 with a transfer or unlimited daily rate of $10
No, that would likely reduce ridership resulting in no more and possibly less money.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
Ever since they raised the price to $5 round trip I have not been able to justify riding vs driving.

$7.50 fares would equal empty trains.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Take a trip round 285.
Not bad, but why is the guy sporting a New York jersey and talking about his love of Atlanta?!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, that would likely reduce ridership resulting in no more and possibly less money.
It wouldn't work in Atlanta because its too expensive for Atlanta's low COL standards.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Suburbanites don't live in the city.
Atlanta does pay for its own infrastructure, it is rebuilding its antiquated sewer system with a SPLOST. If it wasn't for Atlanta none of the 'fancy' suburbs would be here.
Bingo!! How they hate ATL but want all its benefits

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Not bad, but why is the guy sporting a New York jersey and talking about his love of Atlanta?!
I don't see any pictures of 285 either. The video looks like the Downtown Connector.

As a parent and grandparent of young women, I'm also not into calling females bit***s" -- what's that all about?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM

35 posts, read 43,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see any pictures of 285 either. The video looks like the Downtown Connector.

As a parent and grandparent of young women, I'm also not into calling females bit***s" -- what's that all about?

Those young people must be the creative class I keep hearing about. I suppose that's just the way they talk.

Atlanta ranks highly on their radar because of the dense urban area, large walkable amenities, and very high quality of life. Places like the Varsity restaurant can anchor these new high income achievers to the city.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Bingo!! How they hate ATL but want all its benefits
Atlanta doesn't pay the SPLOSTS, TSPLOSTS, or any of the infrastructure bills in the surrounding cities and counties. Why on earth would the reverse be expected?

I don't hate ATL. I like ATL. It's some of its residents that I'm slowly growing to dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta