Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Miami, Cleveland, LA, and Baltimore are heavy rail.
Compare their distance and tell me if they are similar... or don't and just realize that I've already done that before I posted originally and I am right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Compare their distance and tell me if they are similar.
They are all less than half the size of Atlanta by distance, but that doesn't mean there are no comparisons that can be made in terms of cost structure.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Yes, because MARTA is a regional resource. It helps those traveling to the airport, visitors, conventioneers, those going to sporting events, business people, downtown events, cultural events, and those that rely on it to get to work. Without MARTA there would be thousands more cars on the road and thousands of people would not be able to get to work. Is that what you want, since you hate on MARTA so much?
Cleveland is LRT and 1 BRT Line. Miami, Baltimore, and MARTA were constructed around the same time.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times
Quote:
It isn't odd to me. MARTA, Fulton and DeKalb want to suck resources and tax revenue from the suburban counties to pay for their mismanaged transit system. Regional welfare.
Umm, if we're really going to go to the "regional welfare" argument, hasn't the Atlanta metro area been subsidizing roads and transit for the rest of the state for decades now? In other words, more tax revenue has been generated within the city core, and yet rural and exurban areas have seen far more expenditure for their local projects per capita compared to Atlanta folks.

I'd like to see the numbers, but I find it hard to believe that Atlanta is somehow absorbing more money on transit (MARTA or otherwise) relative to taxes paid compared to the rest of the state.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Compare their distance and tell me if they are similar... or don't and just realize that I've already done that before I posted originally and I am right.

Yeah, those cities are smaller on a land scale. You gotta look at how much the raile covers the city and thus they are valid comparisons.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Yeah, those cities are smaller on a land scale. You gotta look at how much the raile covers the city and thus they are valid comparisons.
Not as much sprawl = you don't need as many miles in the transit system

Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
For those on here that say nobody rides MARTA or only poor people and criminals here is the proof.
Look at all those empty seats filled with stolen TVs from the suburbs. Yep all criminals there no working class people to be found.
An average 22% of the seats on a bus are filled and the trains only fill 39% of their seats (which excludes the standing room which has even more unused capacity).

Facts.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
On average that includes late night and early morning. What if we factored that into our wide freeways. The facts are most people use roads and transit between 6am to 8pm. That's when its standing room only. Throw in a baseball or football game and its like Tokyo subway.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM

No. This take into account passenger miles and bus/train miles versus capacity. It gives weight to when the buses/trains are running and does not factor in off-peak times equally.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Bottom line, this is an economic development tax and not a transportation/congestion relief tax.

Just call it what it is and stop trying to mislead the voters. Heck, do that I might even get onboard with some of the projects. However, as a transportation/congestion relief tax, this thing fails hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta