Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What's sad is if Atlanta languishes then they will suffer too. They don't realize that Atlanta is the economic engine of the state.
I think those for whom Atlanta being the "economic engine of the state" matters realize it to be such, but for others, Atlanta's status doesn't mean anything. Many folks who moved into the outlying counties rely on Atlanta's status/position for their livelihoods, and if they think the TIA will help, they'll vote for it. There are still plenty of folks- both natives of those areas and transplants- for whom Atlanta proper has little or no impact on their daily lives, so if they see this as a means to funnel money out of their counties, or see it as something that will end up being a total cluster-f like most government-run program, they'll vote against it.

Not everyone who lives in the surrounding counties needs what this bill is trying to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
I think areas outside of metro Atlanta should help fund our transportation since the taxes generated in metro Atlanta help fund projects for our state statewide

Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think those for whom Atlanta being the "economic engine of the state" matters realize it to be such, but for others, Atlanta's status doesn't mean anything. Many folks who moved into the outlying counties rely on Atlanta's status/position for their livelihoods, and if they think the TIA will help, they'll vote for it. There are still plenty of folks- both natives of those areas and transplants- for whom Atlanta proper has little or no impact on their daily lives, so if they see this as a means to funnel money out of their counties, or see it as something that will end up being a total cluster-f like most government-run program, they'll vote against it.

Not everyone who lives in the surrounding counties needs what this bill is trying to provide.
Those surrounding areas have the worst traffic. Look on a traffic map today at 5pm of the traffic on 75 in Henry county, 575, 75 in Cobb county, 85 N,20 E,etc

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Those surrounding areas have the worst traffic. Look on a traffic map today at 5pm of the traffic on 75 in Henry county, 575, 75 in Cobb county, 85 N,20 E,etc
Read closer- I didn't say no one in the surrounding counties needs what it's trying to provide- I said not everyone.

And since you brought it up, please explain to me how the TIA is going to help the folks on 575, for example? I don't see anything in there that's going to ease traffic on that road, whether it be road-related projects or transit-related projects that will help folks in that area get to work any faster/easier.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
And since you brought it up, please explain to me how the TIA is going to help the folks on 575, for example? I don't see anything in there that's going to ease traffic on that road, whether it be road-related projects or transit-related projects that will help folks in that area get to work any faster/easier.
This.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Read closer- I didn't say no one in the surrounding counties needs what it's trying to provide- I said not everyone.

That county had a representative to list problem areas for cherokee county and they voted on which projects were needed the most. They had other areas the were worse off than 575 is probably the reason. I live itp so...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
If you look at the final report you see all projects listed. Guess you haven't read the whole report?
SR 140 widening from 575 to Fulton County Line. Total funding= $190 million.
Bells Ferry Road bridge replacement.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think hwy 92 is being expanded to Alpharetta. If you look at the final report you see all projects listed. Guess you haven't read the whole report?
No. He is waiting on the green man from Mars to drop the report of to his house

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If you look at the final report you see all projects listed. Guess you haven't read the whole report?
SR 140 widening from 575 to Fulton County Line. Total funding= $190 million.
Bells Ferry Road bridge replacement.
I have read the report, and I know what projects are being proposed for my county as well as others. None of them address 575 or many of the other major roadways, so they'll do little to improve commutes to Atlanta, which I keep hearing is the "economic engine of the state". Like every county, our representatives tried to grab money for the projects that benefited them the most, not those that benefit the region as a whole, which is my major issue with the tax. For something that's supposed to be a "regional transportation solution", it sure doesn't look like one.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
None of them address 575 or many of the other major roadways, so they'll do little to improve commutes to Atlanta
Why would you live so far away and then complain about your commute? I think the SR 140 widening will help those going to North Fulton, which will help the region. Want commute ease, request commuter rail. Please see my commuter rail idea map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...38de1910&msa=0. That is the best way to ease a commute to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta