Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM

969 posts, read 1,951,074 times

Advertisements

There is a plan B... raise the gas tax but we all know that won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,275,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Interesting fact to me: The T SPLOST won't apply to gas purchases .
Will it apply to the purchase of bus tickets and rail passes??

Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,706,379 times
I would love to see the GA Tea Party plan or Chip Rogers plan on how Atlanta will ease congestion and expand transit.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Good question, Bob. Do we pay sales tax on MARTA purchases? I just picked up a new Breeze card and I don't believe, I was charged sales tax. $1 for the new card plus the trips. Even purchase amount so I doubt it.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Good question, Bob. Do we pay sales tax on MARTA purchases? I just picked up a new Breeze card and I don't believe, I was charged sales tax. $1 for the new card plus the trips. Even purchase amount so I doubt it.
IDK, maybe the sales tax is rolled into the price. That is a good question to send to MARTA customer support.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,298,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
No. Sales tax isn't paid on transit fare nor is it paid on tolls.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No. Sales tax isn't paid on transit fare nor is it paid on tolls.
At least its being fair to both transit and car users.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,212,904 times
I am sure this was an interesting forum...

"Hundreds of guests attended Thursday's forum at Georgia Public Broadcasting. The event was presented by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and PNC Bank.

Fayette County Commissioner Steve Brown, a leading opponent of the referendum's rail transit projects, said at the heart of the issue is the public's mistrust of government. He said the project list is flawed, financially bloated and doesn't cut traffic congestion.

"We shouldn't be paying for each other's economic development projects," Brown said, citing the Atlanta Beltline project. "That has nothing to do with traffic congestion we experience today. It's a wonderful project, but it should not be in the [referendum]..."

Forum shows divisions over transportation tax *| ajc.com

Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,298,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I am sure this was an interesting forum...

"Hundreds of guests attended Thursday's forum at Georgia Public Broadcasting. The event was presented by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and PNC Bank.

Fayette County Commissioner Steve Brown, a leading opponent of the referendum's rail transit projects, said at the heart of the issue is the public's mistrust of government. He said the project list is flawed, financially bloated and doesn't cut traffic congestion.

"We shouldn't be paying for each other's economic development projects," Brown said, citing the Atlanta Beltline project. "That has nothing to do with traffic congestion we experience today. It's a wonderful project, but it should not be in the [referendum]..."

Forum shows divisions over transportation tax *| ajc.com
Steve Brown completely misses the point of regionalism with that comment. People's travels within the metro area do not begin and end within their county lines. Rather a project like the interchange reconstruction of I-20/I-285 on the westside within the City of Atlanta will have a positive impact on the commutes of folks from Douglas County. The benefits that would arise from the extension of MARTA to Emory/CDC in Dekalb County would also be enjoyed by people coming from Fulton County and beyond. The Beltline/Atlanta Streetcar will allow visitors and residents to access regional amenities like Piedmont Park and the Aquarium, as well as connect people with jobs.

It's time that we stop thinking of ourselves as individual communities and instead adopt a more regional perspective.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Rather a project like the interchange reconstruction of I-20/I-285 on the westside within the City of Atlanta will have a positive impact on the commutes of folks from Douglas County. The benefits that would arise from the extension of MARTA to Emory/CDC in Dekalb County would also be enjoyed by people coming from Fulton County and beyond. The Beltline/Atlanta Streetcar will allow visitors and residents to access regional amenities like Piedmont Park and the Aquarium, as well as connect people with jobs.

It's time that we stop thinking of ourselves as individual communities and instead adopt a more regional perspective.
Perfectly said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta