Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times

Advertisements

Untie Atlanta new ads:

"Tied Up" - YouTube

Bad Advice - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You mean small business owners? Large businesses don't seem to be doing that very much at the moment.
Well, what I've heard is that the job creators have been so crushed by Obama's gigantic new taxes and regulations and stimulus that they can't even think about hiring anybody.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Steve Brown completely misses the point of regionalism with that comment. People's travels within the metro area do not begin and end within their county lines. Rather a project like the interchange reconstruction of I-20/I-285 on the westside within the City of Atlanta will have a positive impact on the commutes of folks from Douglas County. The benefits that would arise from the extension of MARTA to Emory/CDC in Dekalb County would also be enjoyed by people coming from Fulton County and beyond. The Beltline/Atlanta Streetcar will allow visitors and residents to access regional amenities like Piedmont Park and the Aquarium, as well as connect people with jobs.

It's time that we stop thinking of ourselves as individual communities and instead adopt a more regional perspective.
I'm voting YES on the TSPLOST, but I think it's absolutely a fair criticism of the project list to say that too few of the projects are actually inter-county. I honestly think that was their biggest failure, as the project list seems to be mostly a collection of random projects within each county.

If this fails--which it seems like it will--I'd like to see Atlanta immediately move to raise a 1% tax for the Atlanta projects on the list. The suburban counties don't want to have anything to do with anything that says "Atlanta" on it anyway--especially the Beltline. So we might as well partition this already parochial bill into smaller lists.

The state will then need to figure out how to get the truly inter-county projects completed.

If the Chamber of Commerce, which has been holding water for Republicans for a while now, wants this stuff to pass, let's let them figure out how to get the legislature to do their job without a TSPLOST. Here's my suggestion for them: threaten to primary these legislators' butts out of office if they refuse to raise taxes and allocate the resources necessary for our economic growth.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, what I've heard is that the job creators have been so crushed by Obama's gigantic new taxes and regulations and stimulus that they can't even think about hiring anybody.
That's largely perceptual and not particularly factual.

It's a right-wing talking point to claim Obama's business regulations are out of control. In reality, he's had fewer regulations than Bush did:
Obama Wrote 5% Fewer Rules Than Bush While Costing Business - Bloomberg

As the article points out, the higher costs of regulation are due to inflation more than anything else.

Small businesses are the primary engine of job creation, and 97% of them will not get any tax increases whatsoever under Obama's proposals: Amy Brundage: The Facts on Tax Cuts

I do think there are some health care reform related costs that are new for small businesses that employ more than 50 people.

Hiring practices are far more dependent on access to capital, but banks are still being too tight with credit and loans. That's the biggest reason why more small businesses aren't hiring right now, why we aren't seeing more start-ups, etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm voting YES on the TSPLOST, but I think it's absolutely a fair criticism of the project list to say that too few of the projects are actually inter-county. I honestly think that was their biggest failure, as the project list seems to be mostly a collection of random projects within each county.

If this fails--which it seems like it will--I'd like to see Atlanta immediately move to raise a 1% tax for the Atlanta projects on the list. The suburban counties don't want to have anything to do with anything that says "Atlanta" on it anyway--especially the Beltline. So we might as well partition this already parochial bill into smaller lists.

The state will then need to figure out how to get the truly inter-county projects completed.

If the Chamber of Commerce, which has been holding water for Republicans for a while now, wants this stuff to pass, let's let them figure out how to get the legislature to do their job without a TSPLOST. Here's my suggestion for them: threaten to primary these legislators' butts out of office if they refuse to raise taxes and allocate the resources necessary for our economic growth.
I would support a 1% sales tax to fund beltline transit and streetcar lines. The sewer tax will expire in 2016.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would support a 1% sales tax to fund beltline transit and streetcar lines. The sewer tax will expire in 2016.
I have thought the same thing...

The only thing is.. while it isn't as sexy... There is one major thing the city needs...

the MOST tax was put into place to fix a decaying system. I'd like to see it extended to fix up other existing infrastructure first.

I want to see all the streets fixed, sidewalks fixed, and streetscapes enhances city-wide.

It will do alot to save Atlanta money in the future (money is being wasted, since they can't keep up and maintain infrastructure at the most efficient moment to do so... in other words.. the longer you wait the more it costs.. and they were forced to wait), but I suspect it will also do alot to attract development back to the city as well. No one wants to move into a building and be surrounded be streets with bad sidewalks and potholes.

While we are at it... I think Dekalb needs this too!

Gwinnett and Cobb, while traditionally have better maintained roads, have been starting to fall behind due to cutbacks since the recession.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
I'm voting YES on the TSPLOST, but I think it's absolutely a fair criticism of the project list to say that too few of the projects are actually inter-county..
This is true in parts, but I do think credit is due in many places.

-The emory rail line does connect a major employment center to the existing transit systems.

-Gwinnett Co. projects are mostly along regional thoroughfares and projects identified in regional planning. They are putting alot of investments in better linking Forsyth and N. Fulton to Western Gwinnett. They are also putting a great deal of investments along the 316 corridor and the Sugarloaf extension is a huge intra-county route that connects major inter-county routes.

-Cobb transit, while this has gotten alot of criticism for not being able to to far enough... it is attempting to connect Cobb to Atlanta's core (and MARTA rail) with premium transit.

-The commuter rail line to lovejoy is multi-county.

-Atlanta core arterial streets get an overhaul. I'm sort of ok with that. These are streets people from across the region share. Even though we have so many suburb-to-suburb commuters, Atlanta's core is still shared by all.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
That's largely perceptual and not particularly factual.

It's a right-wing talking point to claim Obama's business regulations are out of control. In reality, he's had fewer regulations than Bush did:
Obama Wrote 5% Fewer Rules Than Bush While Costing Business - Bloomberg

As the article points out, the higher costs of regulation are due to inflation more than anything else.

Small businesses are the primary engine of job creation, and 97% of them will not get any tax increases whatsoever under Obama's proposals: Amy Brundage: The Facts on Tax Cuts

I do think there are some health care reform related costs that are new for small businesses that employ more than 50 people.

Hiring practices are far more dependent on access to capital, but banks are still being too tight with credit and loans. That's the biggest reason why more small businesses aren't hiring right now, why we aren't seeing more start-ups, etc.
Thanks, K-Saw. That makes sense. You never hear Team Obama point that out, however.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:51 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Interesting that record low tax levels could crush business interests so thoroughly.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
The issue is the threatened tax increases and actual, huge increases in the budget baseline which has translated to fiscal deficits well over a trillion dollars per year for years (based on the Obama administration estimates). Borrowing at government levels drains away or raises the cost of capital available for private investment. That impacts on jobs and overall economic expansion.

The uncertainty about whether or not the federal income tax rates will increase, whether or not energy costs will increase due to new taxes, whether or not healthcare costs will increase due to new regulations, statutes, and taxes, and the exploding national debt are all the drags on small and large businesses.

As long as Obama and his supporters continue to use class warfare as a strategy, it will cause uncertainty and will be a drag on hiring. Most small business owners file as sub-chapter S or sole-proprietor, which means they are filing their business income along with their personal income. So these business owners qualify as "rich" according to Obama, and if you look at the distribution of federal tax payers today, 50% of wage earners pay nothing, while small business owners and other higher wage earners pay the lion's share of all federal taxes.

If you didn't know what your tax bill would be, or what your healthcare overhead would be, or exactly what the ramifications are to you of expanding your business or hiring additional employees, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta