Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind having some new statues around town. What do y'all think?

I know we've got Henry Grady downtown, Tom Watson and Hummon and Oglethorpe at the Capitol. And there's Hank Aaron and Ty Cobb at the ballpark, and I guess a few others.

But what about a few other monumental statues? I always like them when I am visiting other cities.

Do we even have a statue of MLK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
I agree. More statutes are necessary.

In fact, I'd like to see much more public art of different forms.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
Yeah, it would be nice to see more statues in downtown Atlanta!

Speaking of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial, they should have it built it in Atlanta instead of Washington, DC!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yeah, it would be nice to see more statues in downtown Atlanta!

Speaking of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial, they should have it built it in Atlanta instead of Washington, DC!
I kinda have to disagree with that. It gets more more exposure and many more visitors on the National Mall than it would in Atlanta.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Do we even have a statue of MLK?
Civically, no. There is one however on the campus of Morehouse College:

http://soulofamerica.com/soagallerie...ent_Chapel.jpg

I agree that we do need more statues/monuments in Atlanta like that of the one of Grady on Marietta Street.

In fact, I think that's one of the reason why people assume that there is no deep history here. We have tons of historical figures, but very few statues in their honor for public display. Contrast that with how Savannah has one for every square and open place.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
have y'all heard about the plans to rebuild mims park in vine city? it was covered up to build an elementary school and an electrical facility, but a group has presented some plans to rebuild it, in a slightly different location:

Mims Park, Atlanta, USA

Ambitious parks plans could give Vine City, English Avenue another chance | News Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta

part of the plans include an 80 foot tall (think 'the vulcan' in birmingham) statue of tomochichi, the native american who greeted the settlers in this area. it would also include statues of MLK, Julian Bond, and Maynard Jackson.

i love the plan, but i don't know if the group proposing it has done anything to bring it closer to reality. it would certainly speed up the revitalization of vine city, and might even crack the war zone that is english avenue open to revitalization.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
have y'all heard about the plans to rebuild mims park in vine city? it was covered up to build an elementary school and an electrical facility, but a group has presented some plans to rebuild it, in a slightly different location:

Mims Park, Atlanta, USA

Ambitious parks plans could give Vine City, English Avenue another chance | News Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta

part of the plans include an 80 foot tall (think 'the vulcan' in birmingham) statue of tomochichi, the native american who greeted the settlers in this area. it would also include statues of MLK, Julian Bond, and Maynard Jackson.

i love the plan, but i don't know if the group proposing it has done anything to bring it closer to reality. it would certainly speed up the revitalization of vine city, and might even crack the war zone that is english avenue open to revitalization.

Um, didn't Tomochichi greet settlers in Savannah on Yamacraw Bluff?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, didn't Tomochichi greet settlers in Savannah on Yamacraw Bluff?

Read further into the article--it did acknowledge that Tomochichi greeted Georgia's English settlers (thus meaning Savannah, Yamacraw, etc.). Let it be known--he did not greet settlers in the Atlanta/Piedmont area...!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Mims Park, Atlanta, USA

The original Mims Park was beautiful! (well, the rendering at least).

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Mims Park, Atlanta, USA

More...

http://www.parkpride.org/get-involve...a_overview.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta