Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Yes, he will. We've been told it isn't that bad? We'd be closer to Roswell than Marietta. Our biggest concern is my daughter's school rather than the commute, but we'll definitely accept any tips you have on towns! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Yes, he will. We've been told it isn't that bad? We'd be closer to Roswell than Marietta. Our biggest concern is my daughter's school rather than the commute, but we'll definitely accept any tips you have on towns! Thank you!!
If your husband will be working at CDC/Emory, then do not look at East Cobb--or Roswell for that matter.

You need to totally change course. If you like East Cobb--the schools, the neighborhoods, contemporary-style, other conveniences, etc., then I highly recommend the Parkview/Brookwood Area of Gwinnett County.

The Parkview/Brookwood Area was developed at roughly the same time as East Cobb and will be very similar. I don't know specific details about contemporary style homes/neighborhoods, but I am sure there are plenty of options since the area is like a Gwinnett version of East Cobb. The schools are great--and the commute to CDC/Emory is good.

Here's what you need to know:

1. Parkview and Brookwood are the names of the high schools. It can be good to refer to the area as the "Parkview Cluster" and the "Brookwood Cluster."

2. The Parkview Area will have Lilburn, Tucker, Stone Mountain, and Snellville addresses. The Brookwood Area will have Snellville, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn addresses.

3. When looking in the area, make sure the homes/neighborhoods are in the Parkview and Brookwood Clusters (some of the city/town addresses mentioned above will stretch into other school clusters).

Here are some helpful links:

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&2~QuickLinks

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...cationMapb.pdf

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/4F1541B9620AF7ED852578EA0059116F/$file/2011-12_Schools-by-cluster.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
... Our biggest concern is my daughter's school rather than the commute, but we'll definitely accept any tips you have on towns! Thank you!!
Be concerned with the commute. There are many good/great school options.

Parkview/Brookwood will give you what you are looking for in East Cobb.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
I would echo aries's suggestion. The Parkview/Brookwood areas are considered part of Snellville or Lilburn. Both Parkview and Brookwood school districts are exceptional and the home prices in that area are at a bargain. You'll also find many of the same retail offerings in that area as you would in East Cobb.

Even more importantly your hubby's commute to the CDC won't be nearly as long and arduous as it would be from East Cobb. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
I would have to caution you a bit about Gwinnett schools in terms of Special Ed, though. Just be aware that your autistic child may have to attend a school other than your neighborhood school (I'm assuming he/she would need an Autistic Spectrum full-time inclusion class and not just a "pull out" situation). If you look into Gwinnett, take that factor into account when searching for a neighborhood. Ask to tour the school and see the Autism classroom before making a decision. I don't know how good Special Services are in TX, but you may not be bowled over by Special Services here for autistic kids. I don't know how Cobb compares to Gwinnett in that regard.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
I am stoked about the grocery stores. In Houston, we had lots of variety, but not like Atlanta.
Hi, M2F. I "recently" moved back to Houston from Atlanta, and I think you'll find that both cities are a bit tied when it comes to grocery stores. No Trader Joe's, of course, but having the choice of HEB, Kroger, Randall's, Rice Epicurean, and Central Market are pretty much on par with what you'll have in Atlanta. Obviously, both cities are worlds better than San Antonio, in that area.

I think that you'll find Georgia to be pretty wonderful, and you'll love the natural scenery--imagine terrain similar to the Hill Country with the trees of East Texas.

I guess it would depend on your commute, but generally speaking, I'd say that traffic in Atlanta is better than Houston. I doubt I'd call it worse than SA.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I would have to caution you a bit about Gwinnett schools in terms of Special Ed, though. Just be aware that your autistic child may have to attend a school other than your neighborhood school (I'm assuming he/she would need an Autistic Spectrum full-time inclusion class and not just a "pull out" situation). If you look into Gwinnett, take that factor into account when searching for a neighborhood. Ask to tour the school and see the Autism classroom before making a decision. I don't know how good Special Services are in TX, but you may not be bowled over by Special Services here for autistic kids. I don't know how Cobb compares to Gwinnett in that regard.
Good advice.

M2F,

Research/visit the many elementary schools in the Parkview and Brookwood Clusters and hopefully you will find some good things for your daughter (and have options). The links in the post above list all of the elementary schools in the Parkview/Brookwood Clusters. Good Luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hi, M2F. I "recently" moved back to Houston from Atlanta, and I think you'll find that both cities are a bit tied when it comes to grocery stores. No Trader Joe's, of course, but having the choice of HEB, Kroger, Randall's, Rice Epicurean, and Central Market are pretty much on par with what you'll have in Atlanta. Obviously, both cities are worlds better than San Antonio, in that area.

I think that you'll find Georgia to be pretty wonderful, and you'll love the natural scenery--imagine terrain similar to the Hill Country with the trees of East Texas.

I guess it would depend on your commute, but generally speaking, I'd say that traffic in Atlanta is better than Houston. I doubt I'd call it worse than SA.
*I meant to say better.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If your husband will be working at CDC/Emory, then do not look at East Cobb--or Roswell for that matter.

You need to totally change course. If you like East Cobb--the schools, the neighborhoods, contemporary-style, other conveniences, etc., then I highly recommend the Parkview/Brookwood Area of Gwinnett County.

The Parkview/Brookwood Area was developed at roughly the same time as East Cobb and will be very similar. I don't know specific details about contemporary style homes/neighborhoods, but I am sure there are plenty of options since the area is like a Gwinnett version of East Cobb. The schools are great--and the commute to CDC/Emory is good.

Here's what you need to know:

1. Parkview and Brookwood are the names of the high schools. It can be good to refer to the area as the "Parkview Cluster" and the "Brookwood Cluster."

2. The Parkview Area will have Lilburn, Tucker, Stone Mountain, and Snellville addresses. The Brookwood Area will have Snellville, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn addresses.

3. When looking in the area, make sure the homes/neighborhoods are in the Parkview and Brookwood Clusters (some of the city/town addresses mentioned above will stretch into other school clusters).

Here are some helpful links:

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...cationMapb.pdf

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/4F1541B9620AF7ED852578EA0059116F/$file/2011-12_Schools-by-cluster.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck!
The posters cwkimbro and ericsonga can offer you even more insight and details about the Parkview/Brookwood Area.

Hopefully, they will chime in soon!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
As Aries stated, if you're commuting in to the Emory/CDC corridor, the best area to come from is the Brookwood/Parkview area of Gwinnett. It's a great area with exceptional schools, amenities, and neighborhoods. I still own a home in the area, however, I had to move due to commute. The area was developed starting the 70s and really filled out in the late 80s and early 90s. Because of this, the area has a very complete tree canopy that's hard to come by in a somewhat dense suburban area.

Be sure to stay in the clusters of Brookwood or Parkview high schools, however. These are the best schools for your commute. The area is bounded loosely by Hwy 29 to the north, Gwinnett Co line on the west, Hwy 78 and 124 to the south, and Sugarloaf Parkway to the east. Most of the people in the area tend to do their shopping in the Hwy 124 and to some extent Hwy 78 corridors.

The area has a great family friendly feel. The traffic in the general vicinity is really minimal. There are many great parks and a local branch of the library on Five Forks. Both the parks and library system have been awarded National honors as being the BEST in the country for what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta