Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 AM

187 posts, read 404,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
when everywhere looked like bankhead, nobody lived in the city and everyone was a conservative christian.

The Old Atlanta (1966-1996): non-diverse, crime-ridden, culturally staid, provincial.

The New Atlanta (born in 1996; came of age around 2010 or so): diverse, safe, green, international, cultured, dense, urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
What a great article. Like the fact this author demonstrated that tourist can get around the city without a car.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I guess Im a fan of the old Atlanta. Its seemed cooler and for some reason more prosperous. Atlanta was definatly at the top of my relocation list by the mid 90's. 2012 it doesnt make any list imo. Too many other cities are cooler, more hip and alot more urban.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What a great article. Like the fact this author demonstrated that tourist can get around the city without a car.
But he didn't really. Yes, he did use MARTA for part of his trip. But it was only due to the random person he met that he was able to hitch a ride over to EAV and later over to West Midtown.

The transit in the city doesn't link up well to some of our best neighborhoods, like EAV, West Midtown, Va-Hi, and Little 5 Points. We need an east-west streetcar or train with a MARTA connection or two.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM

L5P is accessible to MARTA. I was talking about the fact that he rode MARTA from the airport to downtown and to L5P.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Read the article and thought, while it was nice, it should be titled:

"I went to Atlanta and learned about stuff I don't see on TV"

Seriously, none of those things are "new" except the aquarium. I do think though that there are a ton of people who base their entire opinion on Atlanta on what you can find in Downtown and around Lenox Mall and are blissfully unaware of what else goes on in the city. This is a good read for those types.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
But he didn't really. Yes, he did use MARTA for part of his trip. But it was only due to the random person he met that he was able to hitch a ride over to EAV and later over to West Midtown.

The transit in the city doesn't link up well to some of our best neighborhoods, like EAV, West Midtown, Va-Hi, and Little 5 Points.

We need an east-west streetcar or train with a MARTA connection or two.
I agree for the most part, but MARTA has good access to L5P. Maybe it's not like Dupont Circle or Adam's Morgan in DC, where you exit the subway station and you're right in the middle of the respective neighborhood, but it's close enough. I walked it this morning, and it only took me five minutes to get from Inman Park MARTA station to Variety Playhouse in L5P.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Read the article and thought, while it was nice, it should be titled:

"I went to Atlanta and learned about stuff I don't see on TV"

Seriously, none of those things are "new" except the aquarium. I do think though that there are a ton of people who base their entire opinion on Atlanta on what you can find in Downtown and around Lenox Mall and are blissfully unaware of what else goes on in the city. This is a good read for those types.
I enjoyed the article too. I think the thread should have been titled:

"Hooray, the elite northeastern media types like us, they really likes us!"

...said with a Sally Field accent.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
I would trade West Midtown, EAV, and the Old Fourth Ward for Buckhead Village, the Omni, and Underground Atlanta ANY day of the week!!
Me too!

Especially Buckhead Village. Key to any city's success is having an area where groups of young, attractive women feel like they can go out and have a few drinks and not get raped walking back to their cars at the end of the night.

Buckhead Village provided that perception (note, I did not say reality....I said PERCEPTION). I don't really see that perception in most of the city nowadays. I'm not even 100% comfortable walking around EAV at night when there aren't many other people about.

BTW, cities like Charlotte have figured out how to provide this. They have areas that are crowded, brightly lit, and with active foot patrol police presences. I think Buckhead had it due to sheer density, there were simply always lots of people around, at least on weekends. Since there were retail stores that opened up their parking lots at night, you didn't have to walk down dimly lit quiet streets to get to your car. You just walked back to a lot that you paid a few bucks to park in, and the guy with the flashlight and red flag was probably still there watching everything making it feel safe. Of course, cheap people like me always knew where to find street parking, but I wouldn't have recommended it for a group of women.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Too bad all those stuffed shirts in Buckhead had to tear down the Buckhead Village entertainment area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta