Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,855 times

Advertisements

To answer the "sticky" questions: Under $1400 for a 2BR apartment. I am an attorney (the do-gooder, no money kind) and fiancee is getting doctorate at GT. No kids, prefer an urban lifestyle and access to MARTA and highways.

---
Hi there! I am moving to Atlanta in August because my boo is starting a doctorate program at GT. I am an attorney (no ATL job lined up yet). I lived in NYC for three years in the East Village, and loved my lifestyle there. I've been to ATL a few times, but almost a decade ago. I really have no concept of what life is like there, other than the Real Housewives of Atlanta ... yeah, I know. We have a small, active rescue dog (min pin mix), and I would like to be close to a dog park.

For me, the most crucial element of life is walkability. I really like being able to walk (safely) to bars and restaurants. I do love to walk to the grocery store and farmers' markets, but those aren't as crucial. I was looking at some Atlantic Station apartments, but they seem to be really sterile. They are walkable, but I don't really want to walk to Old Navy or California Pizza Kitchen. Anyone have experience living there? I'm also looking around Inman Park and Virginia Highlands. Va-Hi seems to be far from the MARTA line, but Inman looks right there. I know NOTHING about the neighborhoods in Atlanta. My sister used to live there, but she lived in Buckhead off a highway, and although she loved it, I know I would be miserable.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you so much!

Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
I live in Kirkwood. It is an intown neighborhood served by 2 stations along the east-west MARTA line. The neighborhood is safe and convenient to retail, restaurants, and bars. The neighborhood is very diverse, both racial and economically. Police precinct and Fire department within the neighborhood. Friendly neighbors that look out for each other and an active neighborhood association. The Edgewood Retail district has all the big-box retail and its a short 1 mile walk. Downtown Kirkwood has several small restaurants, retail store, and a couple of bars. There are 5 parks within the 2 square mile neighborhood. The architecture in the neighborhood range from Victoria homes, Craftsman Bungalows, and new construction. Prices are cheaper than Inman Park, Candler Park, or Virginia-Highland. Zip Code 30317.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzle View Post
To answer the "sticky" questions: Under $1400 for a 2BR apartment. I am an attorney (the do-gooder, no money kind) and fiancee is getting doctorate at GT. No kids, prefer an urban lifestyle and access to MARTA and highways.

---
Hi there! I am moving to Atlanta in August because my boo is starting a doctorate program at GT. I am an attorney (no ATL job lined up yet). I lived in NYC for three years in the East Village, and loved my lifestyle there. I've been to ATL a few times, but almost a decade ago. I really have no concept of what life is like there, other than the Real Housewives of Atlanta ... yeah, I know. We have a small, active rescue dog (min pin mix), and I would like to be close to a dog park.

For me, the most crucial element of life is walkability. I really like being able to walk (safely) to bars and restaurants. I do love to walk to the grocery store and farmers' markets, but those aren't as crucial. I was looking at some Atlantic Station apartments, but they seem to be really sterile. They are walkable, but I don't really want to walk to Old Navy or California Pizza Kitchen. Anyone have experience living there? I'm also looking around Inman Park and Virginia Highlands. Va-Hi seems to be far from the MARTA line, but Inman looks right there. I know NOTHING about the neighborhoods in Atlanta. My sister used to live there, but she lived in Buckhead off a highway, and although she loved it, I know I would be miserable.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you so much!

Julia
Try Cabbagetown.The Stacks Lofts are nearby and cool (if you can find a rental).
Stacks Lofts
Also there are some cool new apartments across from the MLK Jr Marta Station off Dekalb Ave.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Here's a link to a management company that specializes in vintage apt buildings located in Atlanta's more walkable neighborhoods:

Braden Fellman

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM

198 posts, read 421,819 times
i think inman park would be perfect for what you describe if you can find something available in your price range in that time frame. check craigslist perhaps for a condo. you may have to pay your max of 1400 for a 2 bedroom that allows pets.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
What's your significant others limit on commuting to the GT campus? Is she looking to take public transportation, willing to drive (how far/long), etc?

Inman Park and Virginia Highlands are probably right in your wheelhouse, although walking to a grocery store might be a stretch. Most grocers in the Atlanta area are the Big Box variety, and consequently off major arterial roads . . . not tucked back within residential areas.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,855 times
Thanks so much for the input, everyone! He is going to be driving to GT, since he'll be researching in a lab a little off campus near the Coca-Cola factory. They have a parking lot for him. We wouldn't want more than a 10-15 minute drive for him, though, since he'll be getting home late and probably going in on weekends. From what I'm hearing, Inman Park sounds pretty ideal. I don't want to glamorize walking to the grocery store. I never ate soup in NYC because it was just too heavy, and I often had to choose between beer and milk (guess which won).

Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Any of the neighborhoods east of Downtown and Midtown will fit your budget and requirements.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Try Cabbagetown.The Stacks Lofts are nearby and cool (if you can find a rental).
Stacks Lofts
I live in Cabbagetown and have seen a few rental houses that have recently become available. Not sure if they're 2br, though.

As for walkability, my wife and I were trying to guess how many restaurants are within walking distance, so I started a list. My list is up to 38, and it's not a complete list.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I live in Cabbagetown and have seen a few rental houses that have recently become available.
Such an awesome neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta