Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I know there are a multitude of these threads and I thought twice about posting but why not?!

I am moving to Atlanta, GA... and when I say this, I'm speaking like I am getting married. I have decided to begin planning my departure a year in advance. I know that most do not need this amount of time but I like to consider myself a planner and I will drive myself crazy if I wait until the last minute.

I will give a little background: I am a NYC resident; I have pre-teen daughter and am a single mother (technically, but not really). My child and I decided that we would like to move to ATL for her to start and complete high school in the South. We have an obscene amount of family in Georgia. My move date is June 2013. So, I need to figure out the schooling and housing situation since they go hand-in-hand. So here goes :

1. House/Condo/Townhome? Looking for an apt; whether that is a townhome, community, mid-rise building is fine; no more than $900 rent.

2. Employment Status(commute/work from home)? I would be leaving my job in the financial training field; I will have my Masters in Counseling Studies by the time I move so I will be looking for work between 2-3 months before moving. I have no problem commuting.

3. Children(public school vs. private)? I won't be able to afford private automatically so a good public school is my focus. I am allowing the school to dictate my place of residence as most schools seem to be based on the county you reside. She plays piano so she wants to attend a Performing Arts high school.

4. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two? Mixture

5. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Semi-important

Any suggestion is better than none so feel free! Sorry about the long post

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,632,880 times
Please don't move here without a job, unless you have come with quite a nestegg or will be living with family. I am not sure what a Masters in Counseling Studies qualifies you to do, but know that Atlanta has one of the (perhaps the) highest number of psychs per capita and so jobs are hard to find in the field.

As to performing arts schools, almost all are audition based. One recommendation is to live in the North Springs High School (Fulton) district, where students not in the magnet program have access to the magnet classes and she can audition in after she is enrolled. Pebblebrook High in Cobb is another school that houses a fine arts magnet program. There are also lots of high schools (Riverwood comes to mind) that have strong performing arts program that aren't magnets. The trick is what kind of housing you want -- your price point will probably limit your options some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: