Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times

Advertisements

i have heard a lot about the historic westside village coming to fruition and have driven through it before, but this week i went down there going west from the dome on MLK. the first thing i noticed was how pretty MLK has the potential to be. the street has a median down the middle with these really fancy looking streetlights, on both sides there are trees and historic buildings, but many of them are shuttered. the bridge over MLK with the large looming brick buildings reminded me of something historic out of washington DC or virginia. when i got to the westside village, i noticed some activity and a couple of restaurants, but nothing big. there were a boatload of beautiful historic buildings that are all boarded up and unused. i thought the condos were great looking, but the area doesn't seem to have found it's niche in atlanta yet.

when i asked my dad what he thought when we went there, he told me he thought it was too segregated, that the entire community was all american blacks and no asians, whites, muslims, etc. i agreed, but then again i can see its importance as a historic center of black culture. but shouldn't it be for everyone to enjoy? and also, why is the city not taking care of the median and letting weeds grow out from the concrete? the potential for the westside village is almost immediate, it could be a very cool neighbourhood in atlanta, but seeing as how it is still pretty segregated and lots of it isn't maintained, it's not there quite yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Too much crime and loitering in that area. The residential investment there has been stalled for 3+ years and the big economic engine there is a McDonalds. That about says it all.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i have heard a lot about the historic westside village coming to fruition and have driven through it before, but this week i went down there going west from the dome on MLK. the first thing i noticed was how pretty MLK has the potential to be. the street has a median down the middle with these really fancy looking streetlights, on both sides there are trees and historic buildings, but many of them are shuttered. the bridge over MLK with the large looming brick buildings reminded me of something historic out of washington DC or virginia. when i got to the westside village, i noticed some activity and a couple of restaurants, but nothing big. there were a boatload of beautiful historic buildings that are all boarded up and unused. i thought the condos were great looking, but the area doesn't seem to have found it's niche in atlanta yet.

when i asked my dad what he thought when we went there, he told me he thought it was too segregated, that the entire community was all american blacks and no asians, whites, muslims, etc. i agreed, but then again i can see its importance as a historic center of black culture. but shouldn't it be for everyone to enjoy? and also, why is the city not taking care of the median and letting weeds grow out from the concrete? the potential for the westside village is almost immediate, it could be a very cool neighbourhood in atlanta, but seeing as how it is still pretty segregated and lots of it isn't maintained, it's not there quite yet.
Well this area traditionally has been black area historically since the days of segregation.Many of Atlanta black leading families lived in the area for generations.The local Atlanta University Center (a consortium of 5 historically black colleges)gave rise to a large middle and wealthy class of blacks unparalleled in any other U.S. city except D.c. or NYC.

Since wealthier blacks were awarded the right to move anywhere as they pleased,the poorer blacks were left behind who struggled to keep what was once a community of people that cared about each other to people just doing whatever it took for them to survive.

Your observations are spot on.Its a great area that is prime to be invested properly.They have been trying for many years to redevelop the area.After many false promises it looks like its finally happening.Wal-Mart is building a new store where the Publix
.Homes that people were giving away are being snapped up and prices are slowly rising every week.Still has a long way to go ,but this Wal-Mart is a major deal for the area and the city.

I have 2 properties in the area.I have lived here for 6 years.its not great but its not nearly as bad as people say or think it is.I love the convience to the whole city and MARTA.

I have started seeing a little more diversity just within the last few years.The usual young white couples.Im African American but my tenants are from all over.France ,Germany,Italy,Nigeria,Korean,China and of course American (white and black).
I welcome more diversity as well as in "class".This is a poorer community where jobs have been scarce for a while.I want this area to be affordable and crime free for ALL people.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Is this the area around the Ashby Station and Booker T. Washington Area?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Is this the area around the Ashby Station and Booker T. Washington Area?
It is near there.

I went to CAU and lived in the neighborhood on and off for about 4-5 years. Like afonega, I loved the convenience, which is why I stayed on the west side as it is easy to get to practically anywhere in the metro.

I do know that the largest borded up building is the old Paschal's restaurant and the building attached to it was a hotel. That Paschal's location is actually where MLK and members of the SCLC convened to organize during the civil rights movement and I know that there has been a push for a long time to get the building recognized as an historical landmark.

CAU owned the building, not sure if they still do. I know they were trying to sell it. When I originally went to college it was used as a dormitory, but CAU has built a lot of new dorms since then and no longer needed the facility as the cost to upgrade it would have been more than the new dorms. I used to go over to that location a lot for food and books, students still go over there to eat at BusyBee's and the other restaurants (that are not McDonald's) in the area. I like that there are places to eat over there that are not chains but it is not as full as it used to be when I originally came to college in 1997. I do know that the empty grass lot that is currently being dug up in preparation for Walmart has been talked about being revitalized since I have lived here, but funding fell through.

In regards to segregation, I do feel it is segregated, but the majority of the "black" areas in Atlanta are segregated IMO. I don't want to say it because someone will probably take it the wrong way, but many people of other ethnicities are afraid of black people and don't want to be the people to integrate a neighborhood.

I do know that there are some white people who live in the Washington Park area which is a couple blocks away, as well as West End, which is about a mile away and even in Vine City, so even though it is segregated it is not completely black like you would think.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Too much crime and loitering in that area. The residential investment there has been stalled for 3+ years and the big economic engine there is a McDonalds. That about says it all.
I dont like arguing with you .but for you to say that is just outright incorrect.I suppose Morehouse,Clark-Atlanta,Morris Brown etc are not economic engines ?
They just built all those new apartments on Lowry(a half mile from McDonald's)across from Morehouse football stadium.
Are you saying people dont spend money on tuition,apartments and rooms for rent?
Well its all about "potential" and "risk".I believe once the Wal-Mart is built ,the former hotel across the street will become prime.Its only one quarter mile from the Dome.That hotel could be a Motel 8 or Hampton Inn.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont like arguing with you .but for you to say that is just outright incorrect.I suppose Morehouse,Clark-Atlanta,Morris Brown etc are not economic engines ?
They just built all those new apartments on Lowry(a half mile from McDonald's)across from Morehouse football stadium.
Are you saying people dont spend money on tuition,apartments and rooms for rent?
Well its all about "potential" and "risk".I believe once the Wal-Mart is built ,the former hotel across the street will become prime.Its only one quarter mile from the Dome.That hotel could be a Motel 8 or Hampton Inn.
It was a joke. Of course the AUC is an economic engine.

But honestly, that area sucks. If you ever wonder where you tax dollars go, drive up and down Lowery and count the number of people sitting on porches not doing anything but leaching off hard working Americans. I can't recall the exact ranking, but that area was in the top 10 most dangerous zip codes in the country. To the people who choose to live there: I assume you are comfortable not working to improve your situation and getting out of that area or you have horrendous judgement and actually choose to live there. Either way, the area is still awful.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

But honestly, that area sucks. If you ever wonder where you tax dollars go, drive up and down Lowery and count the number of people sitting on porches not doing anything but leaching off hard working Americans. I can't recall the exact ranking, but that area was in the top 10 most dangerous zip codes in the country. To the people who choose to live there: I assume you are comfortable not working to improve your situation and getting out of that area or you have horrendous judgement and actually choose to live there. Either way, the area is still awful.
Well im not gonna bust on you because im trying hard understand why you are so negative and judgmental.
There is this one thing about "judgement".In every person their "judgement" is based experiences and outlook on life formed by events that have happened in the past.
Judgement can also be formed by ignorance.
In my case I can assure you it was not the latter as you have eluded.I say this because you made assumption about my character and judgement.

If you knew me I suppose.I would be mad but silent.
Im neither.
Quote:
To the people who choose to live there: I assume you are comfortable not working to improve your situation and getting out of that area or you have horrendous judgement and actually choose to live there
1.I did choose to live here.I have 3 properties on a fairly quiet street.Im very close to where the Wal-Mart is being built.I rent rooms to students who are Caucasian American,European,Korean,Italian ,etc.Ninety percent of then walk 2 blocks from the house up Lowery at all hours of the day.Other than pan handlers,none have had problems in the 6 years I have been here.Thats the honest truth.In 6 years.my house has never been broken into.

2.Unlike you,I have no need to prove to people who I am and why I made the decisions I made.Thats usually why SOME people move to Buckhead.People driving in a car and living in a house where they are living well over there means(i.e. the housing crisis)

3.I have rarely ever met anyone so pompous and arrogant where they felt superior enough to cast judgement on the reasoning for others decisions.People who tend to do this have miserable lives and hate to see people who have made decisions different from there own happy and content.They just dont know how to live and let live and move on.Its sad that they feel a strong desire to be validated by others.
Sorry but you are not convincing me.Anybody that is so negative all the time is not a happy person at.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
the old paschal's turn into a hampton inn? let me be the first to say that would be AWESOME. there are so many areas in atlanta that are "too rough" to have any grocery stores or hotels, it would be great to see the westside village knocked off of that list.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:

the area around AUC, west end and westside village is probably the safest area on the westside. north of there, it's a hellhole, south of there, it's a hellhole, etc. i see it as the first area prime for revitalization on the westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta