Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM

454 posts, read 821,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying you are right or wrong ,but it would seem since India was a former colony,,there people would be more intergrated in England.However there seems to be a lot of tensions in the Asian and India communities just in the last decade.

Why would you have nothing to do but build but a "bigger house" anywhere in the world?Atlanta would not unique to that lifestyle.Culture is all around you.It just depends on what cultures you tend to be more interested in.
I chose to live here becasue of multiple reasons where money was not even the main reason.
Well other parts of the world are prettier, more sophisitcated and have better architecture. Not being funny but I see very little culture here just a town that sold its soul to big business. Its very hard for example to find a nice house here, everything is the same only bigger. No matter how expensive the area here we still have cables thrown about the place and ugly signs, who wants that? Not me if I could afford a super expensive house and not have to work. In the UK for example you can buy stunning historic houses in country areas with lovely surroundings and great walks. If I had a 10 million dollar windfall I would want to be close to better resturants, cleaner air, nature, history, arts, decent infrastructure etc. Atlanta is ok for a worker but cannot compete with the UK, France, Italy, California and parts of the NE for someone wealthy.

Take a look at the surveys of the best in the world places to live and its always the same places for a reason. Thats why the south of France and London is full of rich Americans and other nations. Atlanta right now doesn't have the culture or amenties to attract these kind of people nor keep many people who strike it rich.

I guess on 1 million or so I would stay here and buY in Midtown or VH but with 10 million would be gone in a heartbeat.

Last edited by jpatlanta; 04-20-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM

188 posts, read 297,230 times
Anyone with millions of dollars who would choose to retire in Atlanta is on drugs or has never been outside of Jawja.

For me... the Caribbean, parts of Florida (Naples, St. George Island), Hawaii (notably Kauai), parts of Central America.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
Alright guys.... let's assume that you MUST retire in the United States and you have $10 million dollars tax free. The winning lottery ticket has a disclaimer "You are not allowed to take this money outside of the country. You must keep this money within the United States.

How many of you will stay in Georiga?
How many of you would move to Florida?
How many of you would move to Hawaii?
How many of you would move to Southern Calfornia?
How many of you would move to "fill in the blank"

.... and why?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
I'll play along -
A small flat in manhattan. why? mainly lifestyle and overall vibe, and I also feel it's one of the few places where you can't lose much buying now and rather easy to lease should you choose to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Alright guys.... let's assume that you MUST retire in the United States and you have $10 million dollars tax free. The winning lottery ticket has a disclaimer "You are not allowed to take this money outside of the country. You must keep this money within the United States.

.... and why?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post

.... and why?
Well, I'd buy a small 1BR in NYC(not necessarily Manhattan) and a small house in coastal central California. I'd also have a really primitive, remote cabin somewhere in the Va, Tn, NC, or Ga mountains.

Last edited by DTL3000; 04-20-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Nrgpill. Manhattan is like the dirty version of the city of Chicago. For some reason, I just never liked New York.

My younger sister lives there and loves it.

[quote=nrgpill;23952474]I'll play along -
A small flat in manhattan. why? mainly lifestyle and overall vibe, and I also feel it's one of the few places where you can't lose much buying now and rather easy to lease should you choose to go that route.[/quote

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM

454 posts, read 821,395 times
OK if I had to stay in the US it would be in order:

1, NYC: Nice loft in Manhatten or maybe townhome in Brooklyn Heights

2, N Cali: Nice small house ocean view walking distance of a small town

3, Seattle: Mercer Island house with view

All 3 options would cost about 2.5 mill and leave enough to enjoy life and travel.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM

230 posts, read 492,873 times
I would keep our current house (due to sentimental value). Get a small, quaint place in either Maine or the Pacific Northwest. A flat in Manhattan (Meat Packing District/Chelsea). Finally, have a nice beach house in American Samoa.

Atlanta is a nice place to live. But lets face it, who dreams about retiring here?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
We all have our preferences. You could not pay me enough money to live in Chicago but it is a fine city for a lot of people. Just like the way you like the aesthetics of Johns Creek, I understand why you may not like Manhattan. In fact, I would specifically shop for pre-war buildings so I guess you could say that I look for a certain amount of "grit", which I equate to "character", or "personality" - my opinion only and ymmv.

[quote=mrpanda;23952705]Nrgpill. Manhattan is like the dirty version of the city of Chicago. For some reason, I just never liked New York.

My younger sister lives there and loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
I'll play along -
A small flat in manhattan. why? mainly lifestyle and overall vibe, and I also feel it's one of the few places where you can't lose much buying now and rather easy to lease should you choose to go that route.[/quote

Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 PM

First thing i am going to get is a time share VIP membership to a private jet that flies out of Forsyth County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta