Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 PM

47 posts, read 44,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I guess I'm just an old white guy who fails to appreciate rap on any level. Even given that, what other genres is Atlanta recognized for to make it the "#1 music city in America" or anything even close?
I am mid 20s black guy and I only like a little rap, but I know Atlanta has a decent metal scene and a very good EDM scene. I can't tell you if it's the best in anything, since I don't take polls and record data like the OP's article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
Georgia State's College station is the best in the city. All kinds of undreground and non mainstream music.
Yea, but is that a good thing? I love indie music if it is good, but most of the time its not as good as mainstream stuff.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
Georgia State's College station is the best in the city. All kinds of undreground and non mainstream music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Terrestrial radio in Atlanta isn't awful, but it's pretty embarrassing for a city our size.

I'm amazed we even lead in hip hop. 107.9 is okay, but I actually hear more interesting and underground hip hop on 96.7 out of Valdosta when I'm driving to Florida. For a city like Atlanta to get shown up by Valdosta, that's pretty terrible.
I have to say that Hurricane Dave is big reason why Atlantas hip hop scene is what it is. Many people here are independant thinkers, but for the rest of society mass media controls the minds. !any Atlanta hip hop artist get radio play before they even sign a record deal. Like they are placed in radio rotation before a major can sign them. Its one of the best chest moves Attlanta makes on hip hop board. Hot107.9 actually makes V103 a better station. Most rappers come from cities where there is more than one hip hop station.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
atlanta has no music real music scene. fake gangster rap is their only export. and typical of the South, they are behind the rest of the nation. L.A. already perfected it over 30 years ago. atlanta is just a wannabe city with no relevance to the music industry. the music coming out of atlanta is too backwards, outdated and slow to ever amount to anything.
I disagree. Imo you really can't blame Atlanta radio for supporting their own...something Houston & Oakland were once very good at. Plus in Atlanta Clear Channel has no pull at either station. I will still say if it was not for dj scream & dj dramas relationship with the local scene & V103s need to compete with Hot 107 things would. Be. Different

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In a way Atlanta rap is similar to Schoenberg or John Cage. It may seem a bit inaccessible at first but once you dig into the work of Waka Flocka Flame you'll begin to appreciate how he can take a simple theme like a** clapping or twerking and turn it into something wonderful by simply repeating bust it ("bus it") over and over.
Hmmmm, interesting.

Perhaps Maestro Flame, along with the brothers Ying Yang were inspired by Dvoraks "Slavonic Dances."

Honestly, one really positive thing Atlanta has going for it is its music scene. The best in the country? I don't know about that, but it is pretty active and has been known to produce some quality stuff. I don't so much dig the modern day minstrel show that passes for a lot of the hip hop coming out of the city but there are some respectable artists operating in all genres of music in Atlanta and there have been for a long time. That versatility and quality across multiple genres is something that's rare and only a few other cities can lay claim to. Now if the place can just come up with just one halfway decent commercial radio station...

The music scene doesn't seem quite as prominent in the DC area, currently at least. I know there have been some influential artists, Duke Ellington being perhaps the most famous. There also don't seem to be as many hole-in-the-wall venues as there are in Atlanta but I have only been here a little over a month so I am still in the process of getting to know the place. I miss places like 529, the Star Bar, and the Drunken Unicorn. Dingy places where the first band doesn't even start playing until 11:00pm on a weeknight. I don't really expect to find many places like that in the DC area. This place is much too buttoned down for that but there are many more high-minded pursuits here. Atlanta tends to offer another definition of "high-minded" pursuits.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
I want to know what city has a comercial clear channel owned stations that play whatever underground or non top 40 artists you guys are trying to hear. I really have not been to a city yet where most of the radio isn't generic top 40 or 90s rock.

You aren't going to here Animal Collective , Lil b, Madball or Bassnectar on most radio stations. That is just the way it is around the country.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Honestly, one really positive thing Atlanta has going for it is its music scene. The best in the country? I don't know about that, but it is pretty active and has been known to produce some quality stuff. I don't so much dig the modern day minstrel show that passes for a lot of the hip hop coming out of the city but there are some respectable artists operating in all genres of music in Atlanta and there have been for a long time. That versatility and quality across multiple genres is something that's rare and only a few other cities can lay claim to.

^^^
This.

"Beyond hip-hop, Atlanta is a center for music in general. Remember, Atlanta is in the heart and is the Capital of the American South--there is a unique juxtaposition there that makes for very fertile ground for all kinds of music collaboration, mixing, and influence.
Hip-Hop, Rap, R+B, Country, Pop/Top 40, Southern Rock, Punk/Hipster, Techno, Suburban Rock, Indie, Various Immigrant Groups, etc. that can't really be found (all coming together like this) in other parts of the country.

One example--Atlanta is the main center for Black American music. However, "authentic country (Southern) music" is within 30-35 miles of Downtown Atlanta in all directions."

Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 PM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Default ATL: Music's Top Trendsetter

I don't really have anything to add other than this interesting little tidbit.

http://www.11alive.com/video/1579819...as-music-trend

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I don't really have anything to add other than this interesting little tidbit.

Music Mecca: Chatting the The Dream on Atlanta's music trend | Video | 11alive.com

Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM

18 posts, read 55,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
atlanta has no music real music scene. fake gangster rap is their only export. and typical of the South, they are behind the rest of the nation. L.A. already perfected it over 30 years ago. atlanta is just a wannabe city with no relevance to the music industry. the music coming out of atlanta is too backwards, outdated and slow to ever amount to anything.
Wow you sound ignorant. Rap was never "perfected" in L.A but in NYC. And whether you like the city of atlanta or not. Atlanta own the Hip Hop, R&B, and POP music scene as of right now. And those 3 genres are the most popular genres of today. So therefor atlanta, as of NOW, has the best music scene. Dosen't matter if you like the music or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta