Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

Network Science Reveals The Cities That Lead The World's Music Listening Habits - Technology Review

Is Atlanta the No. 1 music city in America? | Atlanta Music Blog | Atlanta Concerts & Shows | Crib Notes | Creative Loafing Atlanta

so, we get new music here in atlanta faster than anyone else does? i'd believe it when they talk about last.fm and WRAS, but commercial radio here is really slow to pick up on the new stuff, especially if it's not from their "tired and true" (excuse me, "tried") setlist of pearl jam, the killers, john mayer, 30 seconds to mars, etc. commercial radio here in atlanta, since it's run nationally by companies like cumulus, doesn't follow local tastes, and plays whatever is predictable and inoffensive. we deserve better than an audial version of a fast food drive through for our music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
WRAS is about the only station i can put up with, and that's only in parts (show dependent). Somewhere along the line I lost complete interest in FM in Atlanta. Stations are doing a great job driving away listeners and consumers have responded by opting for app integrated solutions (pandora). I can't even tell you what my presets are in my car anymore.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 AM

47 posts, read 44,858 times
Georgia State's College station is the best in the city. All kinds of undreground and non mainstream music.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Network Science Reveals The Cities That Lead The World's Music Listening Habits - Technology Review

Is Atlanta the No. 1 music city in America? | Atlanta Music Blog | Atlanta Concerts & Shows | Crib Notes | Creative Loafing Atlanta

so, we get new music here in atlanta faster than anyone else does? i'd believe it when they talk about last.fm and WRAS, but commercial radio here is really slow to pick up on the new stuff, especially if it's not from their "tired and true" (excuse me, "tried") setlist of pearl jam, the killers, john mayer, 30 seconds to mars, etc. commercial radio here in atlanta, since it's run nationally by companies like cumulus, doesn't follow local tastes, and plays whatever is predictable and inoffensive. we deserve better than an audial version of a fast food drive through for our music.
I agree that "rock" radio here is awful, but the article specifically says Atlanta is the center for hip hop listening trends, which I guess is true. Ironically, one of the founding members of the new wave of American metal, Mastodon, is from here, yet the metal scene gets no pub (also Torche is from here, and Baroness from Savannah, and some others).

Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I agree that "rock" radio here is awful, but the article specifically says Atlanta is the center for hip hop listening trends, which I guess is true. Ironically, one of the founding members of the new wave of American metal, Mastodon, is from here, yet the metal scene gets no pub (also Torche is from here, and Baroness from Savannah, and some others).

Yes, the first article does write about Atlanta and Hip-Hop (for North America) and Montreal and Indie Music (for North America).

But, Atlanta is still the trendsetter for All Music in North America.

Look at the first chart.

Pretty cool, I think. And I am totally surprised after talking with someone in the past year that's in the entertainment industry (he's from Boston, but lives in Los Angeles).

The Creative Loafing article explains things further.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post

The metal scene here has plenty of shows at different venues and bars. No, there isn't one devoted to it though.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Terrestrial radio in Atlanta isn't awful, but it's pretty embarrassing for a city our size.

I'm amazed we even lead in hip hop. 107.9 is okay, but I actually hear more interesting and underground hip hop on 96.7 out of Valdosta when I'm driving to Florida. For a city like Atlanta to get shown up by Valdosta, that's pretty terrible.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Terrestrial radio in Atlanta isn't awful, but it's pretty embarrassing for a city our size.

I'm amazed we even lead in hip hop. 107.9 is okay, but I actually hear more interesting and underground hip hop on 96.7 out of Valdosta when I'm driving to Florida. For a city like Atlanta to get shown up by Valdosta, that's pretty terrible.
Listen to 88.5 Georgia State.

Also, what artist do you define as "underground".

Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Maybe for rap this is the place to be, but for other genres, there are plenty of better places. NYC, Seattle, Boston, LA all come to mind before Atlanta. For country, is there a better place than Nashville?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe for rap this is the place to be, but for other genres, there are plenty of better places. NYC, Seattle, Boston, LA all come to mind before Atlanta. For country, is there a better place than Nashville?
What the heck does Boston and Seattle do better? I know Boston is better for hardcore punk but what else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta