Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 AM

4 posts, read 6,884 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are considering a temporary (1 year) corporate assignment in Sandy Springs from the UK with hubby's job. I am American, but haven't lived in the US for over a decade and have never been to Atlanta. We're in our mid/late 30s and have one 5 year old child in the equivalent of kindergarten (Reception year) now. I checked with Fulton County schools and they would allow her to move up to first grade as a transder student because her bday is in December. We have the option of choosing corporate housing in the suburbs in and around Sandy Springs and wondered which city would be the best option? We would be lent one car, should I look into leasing/buying another car for our stay? Or is this area well served by public transportation? I have heard that Atlanta traffic is notoriously bad and don't want to sit in it forever. There's also the possiblity that I could get a temporary (3-6 mos) gig in downtown Atlanta with my employer and then work from home the rest of the time. My work is a lot more flexible time-wise than his, so I don't mind a little travel. Budget is between $2000-3000/month for a corporate rental. I have no idea if that's high or not for this type of thing.

If you were going to live for one year in Atlanta, where would that be? We like to have fun as a family: swimming, museums, parks, carnivals (I miss elephant ears!), bike trails, etc.

I also have a question about schools in this area. Do they have before and after school programs? Or does that need to be arranged separately? How are the public schools? private schools?

I hope that my questions aren't too repetitive (compared with previous posts)! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Where in Sandy Springs? For just a year, I would certainly do public.

Yes, almost every elementary school has an after school program.

It is easier to travel to play than travel to work. When will you know about downtown? If you do end up in downtown, you could split the difference and rent in the Buckhead area. If you don't end up in downtown, you have lots of options.

Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, East Cobb would all be viable. Depending where in SS, makes a difference.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 AM

Thanks, lastminutemom. I totally agree that it's easier to travel for fun than for work. His office would be located just south of where where 285 and 400 meet up. I'll have to look up Buckhead.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Sarah Smith and Warren Jackson school district would be convenient for your husband and not a bad commute if you head downtown.

Heards Ferry Elementary would work as well.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 AM

thanks for the advice, again, lmm. Those look like great public schools.

lastly, does anyone know about availability of corporate housing in the Buckhead area? we'd need a furnished place and could up budget a bit if necessary. I have never lived in an apartment as a family? does anyone know if townhomes exist in this capacity? does this have draw backs in Atlanta as opposed to NY for example which has a culture of coop/apt living. we have to plan all of this ourselves...probably best to 'live' in a hotel for a week or so and scout for places.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM

497 posts, read 695,978 times
Hi Tweadie - Although I can't give you any advice on schools (no kids) i would recommend the following areas to live: Dunwoody and Brookhaven.

Although LMM recommended East Cobb, I would not go there. The schools are great and the area is really nice, but I think it would be nightmare to travel to both downtown and your husband's job.

Dunwoody and Brookhaven are both really nice areas with lots of families. They are convenient to shopping, dining and downtown. They would also be convenient to your husband's job. Plus, if you ever want to hop on MARTA (the subway) there are stations in both areas.

Here's a site you might want to check for corporate housing. Some homes fall within your budget.

CHBO, Corporate Housing by Owner: view Corporate Housing Rentals or Post Corporate Apartments, Houses, Condos, etc.

Best wishes with the move- if that's what you decide to do.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks, gagirlatl. That's a great website. Lovely homes featured on it - I'll feel properly spoiled compared to housing in the UK if we live in anything like those featured on the website! I hope this works out - just have to figure out my job and cat situation!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM

197 posts, read 515,733 times
Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are both very nice communities. If you live in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody there are 4 train stations located throughout the area. You could easily hop on a MARTA train to commute to your downtown job. As a matter of fact if I worked downtown that's how I would do it rather than trying to drive. You can see where the stations are located here:

MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route

The North Springs station down to the Medical Center station are all located around the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area. If you decided to live in East Cobb you could also potentially commute to the North Springs station depending on where in East Cobb you live.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
Default Corporate Housing

HI there. I work with a local corporate housing company and have access to corporate housing all over Georgia so any of those cities I can quote you. I would love to get a quote together for you or have our salesperson get to work on it. Availability would not be a problem since you would be taking an apartment for a year. Our two bedrooms range up from $92 per day depending on area. Feel free to reach out for some specifics. I'm at TP Corporate Lodging 678-442-9700 [EMAIL="billy@tpcorporatelodging.com"]billy@tpcorporatelodging.com[/EMAIL]. I can get you with a salesperson who can narrow down your options and help you figure this out. Thanks! Billy Cochran, Director of Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweadie View Post
thanks for the advice, again, lmm. Those look like great public schools.

lastly, does anyone know about availability of corporate housing in the Buckhead area? we'd need a furnished place and could up budget a bit if necessary. I have never lived in an apartment as a family? does anyone know if townhomes exist in this capacity? does this have draw backs in Atlanta as opposed to NY for example which has a culture of coop/apt living. we have to plan all of this ourselves...probably best to 'live' in a hotel for a week or so and scout for places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta