Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
...There are others who believe that what is happening in City of Marietta and Rockdale are indications of what could be happening in DeKalb in terms of student achievement. I am more skeptical of those comparisons.

What is happening in the City of Marietta and Rockdale County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What is happening in the City of Marietta and Rockdale County?
Good things in terms of student achievement. Heads and tails above DeKalb in the aggregate. There are some who believe, because the demographics are similar in those systems, that DCSS should be able to match their success. I think it is more complicated than that.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Good things in terms of student achievement. Heads and tails above DeKalb in the aggregate. There are some who believe, because the demographics are similar in those systems, that DCSS should be able to match their success. I think it is more complicated than that.
Oh, OK.

It kind of seemed like you were saying they had low achievement (which they don't)--and I was confused. I thought possibly there were some new developments or something.

Thanks for the clarification and answering!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
I've seen one DeKalb county school board meeting, and I wish to heaven I had not. I have been affiliated with government agencies of one sort or another my entire life and never have I seen such incompetence and stupidity on such a large scale. I will categorically state that this county's problems begin and end with that moronic assemblage calling itself a school board. There will be no progress made until they are removed. And that won't happen because the one thing they can do well is play racial politics. That's not surprising; a trained duck can do that which is why its so popular. It's the refuge of scoundrels and fools, of which that school board is full. I have no background in education and I knew that two thirds of what was said in that meeting was nonsense. DeKalb is doomed. I will do like everyone else and keep my kids in public school through elementary only. Even if I have to mortgage my house I'm getting them out. DeKalb is pathetic.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Fulton outspends DeKalb. It has a far stronger tax base (even excluding Atlanta). Atlanta spends the most per student in the southeast, I think. (That may not be accurate now, but it was before the recession.)
Here's the breakdown on expenditures per pupil as of last year.

The city of Atlanta, of course, is way off the chart, but DeKalb and Fulton are very close to each other.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta