Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 30,870 times

Advertisements

Well, after more research and advice here, we decided to not buy the house in the western part of South Forsyth (Alpharetta mailing address). There were too many uncertains and some sketchy-looking areas nearby that were giving us the creeps. We have continued our search and are now between 2 neighborhoods - 1 in Sugar Hill (Riverside Elementary, North Gwinnett Middle & High) and 1 in Cumming (Settles Bridge - Lambert). From what I can see both school clusters are awesome. From our perspective it seems like there is a little more to do/nicer overall all feel to the S Forsyth portion of Cumming.

Now here is the dilemma - the home in Sugar Hill is amazing - great builder, awesome floorplan, big lots. The home in Cumming is nice (certainly would be happy to live there), but doesn't feel as custom or special as the Sugar Hill home and has pretty small lots. It also feels like big builder construction (average finishings, few customization options).

So my question for the people in the know - is South Forsyth and the Lambert cluster worth a slightly less exciting home and smaller lot or would Gwinnett/Sugar Hill provide a similar quality of life? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalor View Post
Well, after more research and advice here, we decided to not buy the house in the western part of South Forsyth (Alpharetta mailing address). There were too many uncertains and some sketchy-looking areas nearby that were giving us the creeps. We have continued our search and are now between 2 neighborhoods - 1 in Sugar Hill (Riverside Elementary, North Gwinnett Middle & High) and 1 in Cumming (Settles Bridge - Lambert). From what I can see both school clusters are awesome. From our perspective it seems like there is a little more to do/nicer overall all feel to the S Forsyth portion of Cumming.

Now here is the dilemma - the home in Sugar Hill is amazing - great builder, awesome floorplan, big lots. The home in Cumming is nice (certainly would be happy to live there), but doesn't feel as custom or special as the Sugar Hill home and has pretty small lots. It also feels like big builder construction (average finishings, few customization options).

So my question for the people in the know - is South Forsyth and the Lambert cluster worth a slightly less exciting home and smaller lot or would Gwinnett/Sugar Hill provide a similar quality of life? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The two areas are essentially next door to eachother. Other than crossing a river, there is little, if any, distinction between the two. Buy the one you're going to be happier in.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
If you plan to use the schools, I would check those out to make sure they are what you want. The areas themselves are pretty similar overall as someone here commented. That North Gwinnett cluster for Gwinnett is one of the strongest and will probably remain so as the area has been largely developed already.

Disclosure: I am a bit partial as I had lived in Sugar Hill when I was a kid (many years ago) but that doesn't count now obviously for current times.

The high schools in Gwinnett are usually quite large with the number of students as compared to the other counties, so keep that in mind if you are new to Atlanta. The Gwinnett school system is the largest in the state, I believe.

I cannot comment much about Forsyth other than the southern part seems to have schools with a better reputation than the rest of the county.

Shopping and amenities for each area would probably be about the same.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
If you don't mind my asking, what neighborhood is it in S. Forsyth? And, where will your commute take you? We live in S. Forsyth and love it but as you can see from the many posts regarding it, there are a lot of haters on here. I think Lambert will be in the top five high schools once their scores start counting in the rankings.

I agree with the above poster, GO visit the elementary schools and ask for a a tour (call first). You will get a feel one way or another once you see them. We were sure we were going to buy a house in N. Fulton (yes, the one and only Johns Creek) until we visited the elementary school and got a horrible feeling. Then we visited the elementary school in S. Forsyth and instantly knew this was where we wanted to be.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Have you checked out the property taxes in Forsyth and Gwinnet? These can vary greatly. At least be aware if one is much higher than the other.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 30,870 times
Does anyone know the area right around Peachtree Pkwy and the Avenue's outdoor mall? I saw a neighborhood, Estates at Big Creek, that looks like a few different builders own some lots. It is about a mile west of 400.

Oh, and I had to scratch off one of the neighborhoods on my list - we really liked Nichols View (off Nichols Rd, about a mile from Lambert), until we found out that there was an old landfill on the property. I was surprised the sales person disclosed it up front like that, but happy, as I've read some horror stories about being on landfills...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM

38 posts, read 140,039 times
So where did you end up buying. Which subdivision were you looking at in Cummings. We're thinking of Cummings as well or Suwanee or Duluth? We wanted settlers bridge-lambert high path for Cummings or river trail-northview for Duluth/Suwanee We know taxes in Cummings will be lower

If you or anyone can help us out we would so appreciate it. 400-450k specific subdivision names would help immensely

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
Hi sparklegirl,

I live in the Lambert district but my kids attend Sharon. Not sure why you chose Settles Bridge but there are many great elementary schools in the Lambert district. Some are larger than others and have pool/tennis. Here are the neighborhoods that would fit your price range and each elementary school:

Settles Bridge:

Grand Cascades
Rivermist
Champions Run

Sharon:

Three Chimneys
Summerwind
Wentworth Manor
Aberdeen and Glencree (but if you can afford $450K, you won't want to live here)
Laurel Springs- would be hard to get in here in your budget- i don't see any listed for $450 or under right now

Johns Creek:

St. Marlo (there is one in your price range- it will be difficult to get into St. Marlo for $450 or under
St. Marks
Olde Atlanta Club
Hillside Trace

Brookwood:

Deer Lake

Good luck to you and you can pm me if you have any other questions. You can use ERA Sunrise Realty to search by schools and price range. That's what I just did for you.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,066 times
Quote:
Does anyone know the area right around Peachtree Pkwy and the Avenue's outdoor mall? I saw a neighborhood, Estates at Big Creek, that looks like a few different builders own some lots. It is about a mile west of 400.

Oh, and I had to scratch off one of the neighborhoods on my list - we really liked Nichols View (off Nichols Rd, about a mile from Lambert), until we found out that there was an old landfill on the property. I was surprised the sales person disclosed it up front like that, but happy, as I've read some horror stories about being on landfills...
As a real estate agent in Forsyth County I wanted to correct this thread. NICHOLS VIEW is NOT built on a landfill. It is built adjacent to a capped (no longer in use) inert landfill that was only used for tree trunks and other decomposable material. It was a very small landfill which actually provides a green space between it and another community. Here is a copy of the actual plat. See item 15. for the verbiage concerning the inert landfill.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,066 times
Quote:

I wish to correct his post. Nichols View is NOT built on a landfill. As the Plat states, it is built ADJACENT to a capped (no longer in use) inert landfill only used for decomposable material. It was a very small landfill and actually provides a nice green space between it and another community. You can easily find the plat for Nichols View online. Refer to item 15 for the full verbiage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta