Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Red Line only runs from Lindbergh north during non-peak hours. How is that hard to understand, its on all the rail maps and MARTA employees are announcing it at Five Points station during the weekend. It makes no sense for MARTA to run 2 lines thru the Midtown-Downtown corridor during non-peak hours. The Gold line arrives at Lindbergh and the Red Line is waiting on the stub track. Transferring is part of mass transit, a single line or bus cannot take everyone where they need to go.

Nice ass-umption, but I also had to hop off a train going east to Candler Park because they were shutting down trains. Also, this isn't about tranfers in general, its making the wait 24 minutes during freaking big intown events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC built their metro system through diverted highway money. Instead of building interstates, DC diverted that money too transit. If Atlanta had decided not to build I-75, I-85 and I-20 through Atlanta city proper, the city would be way more dense and way more urban. The money for the highway could have went to Marta like DC chose to do with Metro and all the highways would stop before entering the city of Atlanta making it a much better city today. I-285 would have been enough sending traffic around Atlanta while preserving the urban fabric of the city. The damage the highways did to our cities in America is a travesty. Entire neighborhoods destroyed nationwide!

It's amazing how different DC would be if the city residents had not fought tooth and nail to stop I-270, I-95, and I-66 from cutting through the city. DC would not have a metro system without those NIMBY's in the 1950's.

These are the highways DC was suppose to build. Can you image how different DC would be? DC was never suppose to have a metro subway system, what a difference that victory by the residents of the District in the 1950's did for that city!

http://http://images.greatergreaterwashington.org/images/201006/300146.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, DC is paying almost all of it's 23 mile 6 billion dollar metro expansion right now. It's being paid for by the highway users who drive on the Dulles Toll Road. If Atlanta would make some of their highways toll roads as well, they could use that money to expand Marta. Making drivers pay for Marta expansions in Atlanta through tolls on the highway would never happen though. That is a nonstarter in the south. It would never get off the ground.

WHOA! STOP THIS TRAIN FROM DERAILING

Don't Strawman my thread bro

No one in here was talking about density or "urban", so don't even troll this thread with that. Are you serioulsy going sit here and say that DCs Metro doesn't benifit from 2 states and the federal governments headquaters finacing it's transit system?

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 04-24-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Nice ass-umption, but I also had to hop off a train going east to Candler Park because they were shutting down trains. Also, this isn't about tranfers in general, its making the wait 24 minutes during freaking big intown events
That is the end of the Green Line. The next Blue Line train is only 5 minutes behind. Green Line only runs to Edgewood/Candler Park during peak hours. That is your fault for not waiting for the Blue Line at Five Points station. The rail maps clearly state the hours of each line and where they terminate.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
That is the end of the Green Line. The next Blue Line train is only 5 minutes behind. Green Line only runs to Edgewood/Candler Park during peak hours. That is your fault for not waiting for the Blue Line at Five Points station. The rail maps clearly state the hours of each line and where they terminate.
I wasn't on the green line. This was also on a Saturday for the 420 fest so the whole day was "off-peak" anyway.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
This is neither here nor there, but...

Whenever I have to go farther East than Candler Park, it's my preference to take the Green Line (assuming it is the first one to come along) and get off at Candler Park station to wait for the Blue Line. I'd much rather spend five minutes at Candler Park, smelling fresh baked pies from the factory across the street, than standing around at Five Points smelling urine.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'd much rather spend five minutes at Candler Park, smelling fresh baked pies from the factory across the street, than standing around at Five Points smelling urine.
It is nice to smell fresh baked goods when exiting the train. That's how I know I am home.
Quote:
Whenever I have to go farther East than Candler Park, it's my preference to take the Green Line (assuming it is the first one to come along) and get off at Candler Park station to wait for the Blue Line
That's great because you know the MARTA system and don't complain that the Green Line ended. You chose to board the line that does not go all the way. Other people want to complain because they don't know or are too lazy to read the rail map.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
That's great because you know the MARTA system and don't complain that the Green Line ended. You chose to board the line that does not go all the way. Other people want to complain because they don't know or are too lazy to read the rail map.
I wasn't on the green line. This was also on a Saturday for the 420 fest so the whole day was "off-peak" anyway.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 AM
JPD

Quote:
When we moved last year, one of our main criteria was to be within the boundaries of the Green Line so we'd have twice as frequent train service to downtown.

As it turned out, walking or bicycling is a quicker and cheaper option than taking MARTA, but I'm happy to have the frequent trains when I need it. Hopefully MARTA will keep the Green Line intact.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I agree there should be more frequent trains during large events. That's just common sense. The fact that they don't is mostly (perhaps entirely) the state legislature's fault, though, and not MARTA's fault.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I wasn't on the green line. This was also on a Saturday for the 420 fest so the whole day was "off-peak" anyway
Weekend peak hours are 20 minute headways. So you took the Green Line to King Memorial? Again, could have been avoided if you read the rail map.
Quote:
When we moved last year, one of our main criteria was to be within the boundaries of the Green Line so we'd have twice as frequent train service to downtown.
No doubt, that's why I chose to live closer to Edgewood-Candler Park station, than East Lake station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta